Author Topic: Specific questions - cutting calories.  (Read 17035 times)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
Specific questions - cutting calories.
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
I'll take any suggestions, really -- I know to stay close to the food chain - meat, veggies and fruit and drink lots of water (and hopefully move more)

but specifically my current questions are:

1. Is there a light beer that's drinkable?  I'm cutting out drinking during the week - but Friday is happy hour, whenever that hour may be. Of course, I can splurge and drink what I want (lifes too short and all that blah blah blah) ...but after one yummy one, I might be able to drink a light beer....but haven't found any i like.  Thoughts?

2. Help on the yogurt aisle?!  What's a healthy choice and tasty too?  I'd like to incorporate yogurt - but the options are dizzying and looking at the labels - they don't all look equally healthy.  I'm hoping this is a great cure for a sweet tooth besides fruit - which, while it's lovely being fruit season - I sometimes tire of it.

3. What do you eat when you want something salty and crunchy?  I'm guessing nuts are the obvious choice here - but is there anything else? 

Merci beaucoup
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:15:15 PM by floridagal »
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

siamesedream

Re: Specific questions - cutting calories.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:25 AM »
I'll take any suggestions, really -- I know to stay close to the food chain - meat, veggies and fruit and drink lots of water (and hopefully move more)

but specifically my current questions are:

1. Is there a light beer that's drinkable?  I'm cutting out drinking during the week - but Friday is happy hour, whenever that hour may be. Of course, I can splurge and drink what I want (lifes too short and all that blah blah blah) ...but after one yummy one, I might be able to drink a light beer....but haven't found any i like.  Thoughts?

2. Help on the yogurt aisle?!  What's a healthy choice and tasty too?  I'd like to incorporate yogurt - but the options are dizzying and looking at the labels - they don't all look equally healthy.  I'm hoping this is a great cure for a sweet tooth besides fruit - which, while it's lovely being fruit season - I sometimes tire of it.

3. What do you eat when you want something salty and crunchy?  I'm guessing nuts are the obvious choice here - but is there anything else? 

Merci beaucoup

Pretzels are a pretty good option for salty and crunchy.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »
We have a popcorn bowl thing that you pour kernels in and put in the microwave, and once the pcorn is popped we spray a little cooking spray and sprinkle salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
1. for alcohol, liquor + diet soda is prob your lowest in calories. (like vodka + diet soda)
2. something with little to no added sugar. Greek yogurt is your best bet. Chobani, Fage, etc.
3. Air popped popcorn is probably your best bet. I like pistachios in the shell, because it is a lot of work and you cannot quickly overeat them ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
If you want your yogurt to be healthy, then get plain yogurt (greek or otherwise) and puree fruit and mix it in. I make this for my kids.  It took me a while to get used to it,  but honestly it is pretty good. You can freeze purees and just warm them in the microwave.  Assuming you don't want to mkae your own...look for kids Chobani yogurt (greek) and Stonyfield. They tend to have less yogurt per serving than the adult yogurts. though full disclosure on this...I have not actually compared serving sizes to see if the difference is due to a smaller serving size or there is actually less sugar. 

There are no good light beers. If you like Guinness, drink that. I believe a pint is only 95 calories. Less than a lot of light beers. 

salty and crunchy? Yea, pretzels.  Nuts. 

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »
Just buy plain Greek yogurt and fruit. Or get the Fage with fruit or honey.

I would just let myself drink 2 beers and not worry about the calories all that much.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
Just buy plain Greek yogurt and fruit. Or get the Fage with fruit or honey.

I would just let myself drink 2 beers and not worry about the calories all that much.

I like that Faye stuff with the "fruit" cup, but there is a ton of sugar there. Fruit purees probably have fewer calories and I guarantee more nutrients.  But honestly yogurt is mostly healthy so i wouldn't be fretting too much over it anyway.

Offline JBM

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
I like Fage over the other Greek yogurts. Its tasty even plain.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »
Thanks!  Very helpful....the yogurt section was very intimidating ...I'll try the Fage stuff -- bought 2 Yoplait Greek Whips - they are interesting, anyway.  I'm not a huge yogurt fan but I think I could be.  Need to realize I can probably eat as much as I'd like (within in reason,  of course) as long as it's meat/fruit/veggies.....the occasional yogurt or nuts.....and a couple beers on the weekend.  Haven't been doing a lot of exercise -- which is a problem in and of itself, but I have to pull the diet in if I'm not going to move!  Better to pull the diet in anyway..been eating a lot of bread and not-so-healthy snacks in a pinch.  Work vascillates between stress and boredom -- and that is where bad food has entered the equation.
--RioG

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
We have a popcorn bowl thing that you pour kernels in and put in the microwave, and once the pcorn is popped we spray a little cooking spray and sprinkle salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have one of those around here somewhere!
--RioG

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
1. for alcohol, liquor + diet soda is prob your lowest in calories. (like vodka + diet soda)
2. something with little to no added sugar. Greek yogurt is your best bet. Chobani, Fage, etc.
3. Air popped popcorn is probably your best bet. I like pistachios in the shell, because it is a lot of work and you cannot quickly overeat them ;)
mmmmm pistachios!
--RioG

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
What about cottage cheese?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Yogi

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:14 AM »

I have one of those around here somewhere!

What I do is just put the kernels in a regular medium pot with a little olive oil, lid on, shake over medium heat til popped. Spray with a bit of spray oil so your seasonings will stick - I like garlic salt and dried rosemary.  Maybe a touch of shredded Parmesan.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
What I do is just put the kernels in a regular medium pot with a little olive oil, lid on, shake over medium heat til popped. Spray with a bit of spray oil so your seasonings will stick - I like garlic salt and dried rosemary.  Maybe a touch of shredded Parmesan.

Probably stupid question, but are these just regular kernels you would buy for an air popper?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
Popcorn is my favorite salty snack.

Offline JBM

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »
Probably stupid question, but are these just regular kernels you would buy for an air popper?
Yes!

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
Popcorn is my favorite salty snack.

Mine too! I like Yogi's idea...
--RioG

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
I like a lot of light beers. What types of beers do you normally drink?

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »
I like a lot of light beers. What types of beers do you normally drink?

Right now I'm in a Stella phase.....does that help?
--RioG

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 10:46:28 AM »
What about Heineken light or Corona light?

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »
Pretzels are a pretty good option for salty and crunchy.
Pretzels have little or no nutrition and have a high glycemic load, so they are actually a terrible option.  Any kind of nuts are a much better choice.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »
For a salty crunchy snack, I like Pirate's Booty. But I have to portion it out or I will eat the whole bag in one sitting.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
For a salty crunchy snack, I like Pirate's Booty. But I have to portion it out or I will eat the whole bag in one sitting.
have you had their Tings snack?

Offline redkitty

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:23 PM »

I just love the name. It cracks me up.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
have you had their Tings snack?

Yes but I like the texture of the Pirate's Booty better, it has random extra-crunchy bits in some pieces. Also the name, as redkitty pointed out.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
Yes but I like the texture of the Pirate's Booty better, it has random extra-crunchy bits in some pieces. Also the name, as redkitty pointed out.
:roll:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
Pretzels have little or no nutrition and have a high glycemic load, so they are actually a terrible option.  Any kind of nuts are a much better choice.

I would rather have a handful of pretzels than a handful of nuts, if I am trying to eat fewer calories, which is the title of this thread.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:59:33 PM by Ice Cream »

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »

Pork cracklings!  Not seriously, I just wanted to say that out loud :D

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »

Pork cracklings!  Not seriously, I just wanted to say that out loud :D

No joke, I eat chicharrones some times. There is a brand called "pork clouds". They are actually relatively low in calories, plus they have protein.  70 calories, 8 g protein per serving. They are also good to grind/crush and use to "bread" chicken before baking.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »
oooh! Salty, crunchy healthy snack, seaweed!!! http://www.seasnax.com/  It is VERY addictive.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »
oooh! Salty, crunchy healthy snack, seaweed!!! http://www.seasnax.com/  It is VERY addictive.

Oh, yes.  Trader Joe's has a real good kind.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »
yes, TJ's brand is really, really good.  DH was addicted to it for a while but then discovered it was causing him gastric distress (by process of elimination).  But he was eating a container a day for a while before that happens.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
No joke, I eat chicharrones some times. There is a brand called "pork clouds". They are actually relatively low in calories, plus they have protein.  70 calories, 8 g protein per serving. They are also good to grind/crush and use to "bread" chicken before baking.

I could kill a bag of those things right now. 

Offline Yogi

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »

Yikes I have not checked in here! Yep, just a regular bag of kernels for an air popper, not the  instant or microwave type.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
I like Oikos by Dannon.  Not really a fan of Fage.  For the salty something, I love the Nut thin crackers by Diamond.  Otherwise, I just do fritos or tortilla chips and put some in a small bowl.  Portion control works better for me than denial.

I would rather have one great beer than 2 or more light beers.  Now,, you could always go for a shandy, which would be 1/2 beer and 1/2 diet sprite...  Just a thought.  :)
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
I like Oikos by Dannon.  Not really a fan of Fage.  For the salty something, I love the Nut thin crackers by Diamond.  Otherwise, I just do fritos or tortilla chips and put some in a small bowl.  Portion control works better for me than denial.

I would rather have one great beer than 2 or more light beers.  Now,, you could always go for a shandy, which would be 1/2 beer and 1/2 diet sprite...  Just a thought.  :)

Regarding the bolded, me too. I also eat frequently (every few hours).

My mom had some Oikos yogurt in her fridge when I visited in July. Holy god, I had to spit out the first spoonful. I don't know what it was about the taste that I found so offensive, but I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

Offline ihop

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 02:03:44 PM »
Regarding the bolded, me too. I also eat frequently (every few hours).

My mom had some Oikos yogurt in her fridge when I visited in July. Holy god, I had to spit out the first spoonful. I don't know what it was about the taste that I found so offensive, but I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

Was the Oikos flavored?  I like Oikos but can't stand the Yoplait Greek.  Blech.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
Was the Oikos flavored?  I like Oikos but can't stand the Yoplait Greek.  Blech.

Vanilla. I usually just eat plain yogurt that I add fruit and granola too, but there was just some odd flavor to the Oikos.

siamesedream

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:34 PM »
I have a love for venti mocha frapps, thank god I have a good metabolism.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
I like the vanilla! I often add cereal to it though. ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2015, 10:23:56 PM »
For salty I will eat an apple and a small handful of nuts.

Or veggies and herby or carmelized onion Greek yogurt dip. This feels snacky but is super filling

I am partial to fage or trader Joe's plain Greek yogurt. Chiobani or Tillamook or siggis for sweetened. A lot of the other Greek yogurts taste weird to me. Check the label because a lot of them are thickened with stabilizers and it doesn't increase the nutrition

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2016, 06:46:51 PM »
What about Heineken light or Corona light?
I am now a Heineken light fan. Thanks.
--RioG

+-SUPPORT US