Author Topic: Specific questions - cutting calories.  (Read 17763 times)

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
Specific questions - cutting calories.
« on: July 28, 2015, 08:26:15 PM »
I'll take any suggestions, really -- I know to stay close to the food chain - meat, veggies and fruit and drink lots of water (and hopefully move more)

but specifically my current questions are:

1. Is there a light beer that's drinkable?  I'm cutting out drinking during the week - but Friday is happy hour, whenever that hour may be. Of course, I can splurge and drink what I want (lifes too short and all that blah blah blah) ...but after one yummy one, I might be able to drink a light beer....but haven't found any i like.  Thoughts?

2. Help on the yogurt aisle?!  What's a healthy choice and tasty too?  I'd like to incorporate yogurt - but the options are dizzying and looking at the labels - they don't all look equally healthy.  I'm hoping this is a great cure for a sweet tooth besides fruit - which, while it's lovely being fruit season - I sometimes tire of it.

3. What do you eat when you want something salty and crunchy?  I'm guessing nuts are the obvious choice here - but is there anything else? 

Merci beaucoup
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:15:15 PM by floridagal »
If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

siamesedream

Re: Specific questions - cutting calories.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:01:25 AM »
I'll take any suggestions, really -- I know to stay close to the food chain - meat, veggies and fruit and drink lots of water (and hopefully move more)

but specifically my current questions are:

1. Is there a light beer that's drinkable?  I'm cutting out drinking during the week - but Friday is happy hour, whenever that hour may be. Of course, I can splurge and drink what I want (lifes too short and all that blah blah blah) ...but after one yummy one, I might be able to drink a light beer....but haven't found any i like.  Thoughts?

2. Help on the yogurt aisle?!  What's a healthy choice and tasty too?  I'd like to incorporate yogurt - but the options are dizzying and looking at the labels - they don't all look equally healthy.  I'm hoping this is a great cure for a sweet tooth besides fruit - which, while it's lovely being fruit season - I sometimes tire of it.

3. What do you eat when you want something salty and crunchy?  I'm guessing nuts are the obvious choice here - but is there anything else? 

Merci beaucoup

Pretzels are a pretty good option for salty and crunchy.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:56 AM »
We have a popcorn bowl thing that you pour kernels in and put in the microwave, and once the pcorn is popped we spray a little cooking spray and sprinkle salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:36 AM »
1. for alcohol, liquor + diet soda is prob your lowest in calories. (like vodka + diet soda)
2. something with little to no added sugar. Greek yogurt is your best bet. Chobani, Fage, etc.
3. Air popped popcorn is probably your best bet. I like pistachios in the shell, because it is a lot of work and you cannot quickly overeat them ;)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 02:34:17 PM »
If you want your yogurt to be healthy, then get plain yogurt (greek or otherwise) and puree fruit and mix it in. I make this for my kids.  It took me a while to get used to it,  but honestly it is pretty good. You can freeze purees and just warm them in the microwave.  Assuming you don't want to mkae your own...look for kids Chobani yogurt (greek) and Stonyfield. They tend to have less yogurt per serving than the adult yogurts. though full disclosure on this...I have not actually compared serving sizes to see if the difference is due to a smaller serving size or there is actually less sugar. 

There are no good light beers. If you like Guinness, drink that. I believe a pint is only 95 calories. Less than a lot of light beers. 

salty and crunchy? Yea, pretzels.  Nuts. 

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:13:49 PM »
Just buy plain Greek yogurt and fruit. Or get the Fage with fruit or honey.

I would just let myself drink 2 beers and not worry about the calories all that much.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
Just buy plain Greek yogurt and fruit. Or get the Fage with fruit or honey.

I would just let myself drink 2 beers and not worry about the calories all that much.

I like that Faye stuff with the "fruit" cup, but there is a ton of sugar there. Fruit purees probably have fewer calories and I guarantee more nutrients.  But honestly yogurt is mostly healthy so i wouldn't be fretting too much over it anyway.

Offline JBM

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:21:30 PM »
I like Fage over the other Greek yogurts. Its tasty even plain.

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:36:29 PM »
Thanks!  Very helpful....the yogurt section was very intimidating ...I'll try the Fage stuff -- bought 2 Yoplait Greek Whips - they are interesting, anyway.  I'm not a huge yogurt fan but I think I could be.  Need to realize I can probably eat as much as I'd like (within in reason,  of course) as long as it's meat/fruit/veggies.....the occasional yogurt or nuts.....and a couple beers on the weekend.  Haven't been doing a lot of exercise -- which is a problem in and of itself, but I have to pull the diet in if I'm not going to move!  Better to pull the diet in anyway..been eating a lot of bread and not-so-healthy snacks in a pinch.  Work vascillates between stress and boredom -- and that is where bad food has entered the equation.
--RioG

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 04:37:05 PM »
We have a popcorn bowl thing that you pour kernels in and put in the microwave, and once the pcorn is popped we spray a little cooking spray and sprinkle salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have one of those around here somewhere!
--RioG

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
1. for alcohol, liquor + diet soda is prob your lowest in calories. (like vodka + diet soda)
2. something with little to no added sugar. Greek yogurt is your best bet. Chobani, Fage, etc.
3. Air popped popcorn is probably your best bet. I like pistachios in the shell, because it is a lot of work and you cannot quickly overeat them ;)
mmmmm pistachios!
--RioG

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 05:56:30 PM »
What about cottage cheese?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Yogi

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2015, 11:06:14 AM »

I have one of those around here somewhere!

What I do is just put the kernels in a regular medium pot with a little olive oil, lid on, shake over medium heat til popped. Spray with a bit of spray oil so your seasonings will stick - I like garlic salt and dried rosemary.  Maybe a touch of shredded Parmesan.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:58 PM »
What I do is just put the kernels in a regular medium pot with a little olive oil, lid on, shake over medium heat til popped. Spray with a bit of spray oil so your seasonings will stick - I like garlic salt and dried rosemary.  Maybe a touch of shredded Parmesan.

Probably stupid question, but are these just regular kernels you would buy for an air popper?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
Popcorn is my favorite salty snack.

Offline JBM

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 01:03:40 PM »
Probably stupid question, but are these just regular kernels you would buy for an air popper?
Yes!

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 03:02:01 PM »
Popcorn is my favorite salty snack.

Mine too! I like Yogi's idea...
--RioG

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 04:04:48 PM »
I like a lot of light beers. What types of beers do you normally drink?

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 06:51:10 PM »
I like a lot of light beers. What types of beers do you normally drink?

Right now I'm in a Stella phase.....does that help?
--RioG

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 10:46:28 AM »
What about Heineken light or Corona light?

+-SUPPORT US