Author Topic: Specific questions - cutting calories.  (Read 17630 times)

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
Re: Specific questions - cutting calories.
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 03:17:08 PM »
Pretzels are a pretty good option for salty and crunchy.
Pretzels have little or no nutrition and have a high glycemic load, so they are actually a terrible option.  Any kind of nuts are a much better choice.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »
For a salty crunchy snack, I like Pirate's Booty. But I have to portion it out or I will eat the whole bag in one sitting.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
For a salty crunchy snack, I like Pirate's Booty. But I have to portion it out or I will eat the whole bag in one sitting.
have you had their Tings snack?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 09:19:23 PM »

I just love the name. It cracks me up.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 11:40:14 AM »
have you had their Tings snack?

Yes but I like the texture of the Pirate's Booty better, it has random extra-crunchy bits in some pieces. Also the name, as redkitty pointed out.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 01:04:27 PM »
Yes but I like the texture of the Pirate's Booty better, it has random extra-crunchy bits in some pieces. Also the name, as redkitty pointed out.
:roll:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2015, 11:54:47 AM »
Pretzels have little or no nutrition and have a high glycemic load, so they are actually a terrible option.  Any kind of nuts are a much better choice.

I would rather have a handful of pretzels than a handful of nuts, if I am trying to eat fewer calories, which is the title of this thread.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:59:33 PM by Ice Cream »

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
3. What do you eat when you want something salty and crunchy?  I'm guessing nuts are the obvious choice here - but is there anything else? 

Pork cracklings!  Not seriously, I just wanted to say that out loud :D

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 02:13:50 PM »

Pork cracklings!  Not seriously, I just wanted to say that out loud :D

No joke, I eat chicharrones some times. There is a brand called "pork clouds". They are actually relatively low in calories, plus they have protein.  70 calories, 8 g protein per serving. They are also good to grind/crush and use to "bread" chicken before baking.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 07:18:03 PM »
oooh! Salty, crunchy healthy snack, seaweed!!! http://www.seasnax.com/  It is VERY addictive.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2015, 09:11:39 AM »
oooh! Salty, crunchy healthy snack, seaweed!!! http://www.seasnax.com/  It is VERY addictive.

Oh, yes.  Trader Joe's has a real good kind.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:02 PM »
yes, TJ's brand is really, really good.  DH was addicted to it for a while but then discovered it was causing him gastric distress (by process of elimination).  But he was eating a container a day for a while before that happens.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 09:34:59 PM »
No joke, I eat chicharrones some times. There is a brand called "pork clouds". They are actually relatively low in calories, plus they have protein.  70 calories, 8 g protein per serving. They are also good to grind/crush and use to "bread" chicken before baking.

I could kill a bag of those things right now. 

Offline Yogi

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 08:27:03 AM »
Probably stupid question, but are these just regular kernels you would buy for an air popper?

Yikes I have not checked in here! Yep, just a regular bag of kernels for an air popper, not the  instant or microwave type.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2015, 04:15:22 PM »
I like Oikos by Dannon.  Not really a fan of Fage.  For the salty something, I love the Nut thin crackers by Diamond.  Otherwise, I just do fritos or tortilla chips and put some in a small bowl.  Portion control works better for me than denial.

I would rather have one great beer than 2 or more light beers.  Now,, you could always go for a shandy, which would be 1/2 beer and 1/2 diet sprite...  Just a thought.  :)
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 09:17:38 AM »
I like Oikos by Dannon.  Not really a fan of Fage.  For the salty something, I love the Nut thin crackers by Diamond.  Otherwise, I just do fritos or tortilla chips and put some in a small bowl.  Portion control works better for me than denial.

I would rather have one great beer than 2 or more light beers.  Now,, you could always go for a shandy, which would be 1/2 beer and 1/2 diet sprite...  Just a thought.  :)

Regarding the bolded, me too. I also eat frequently (every few hours).

My mom had some Oikos yogurt in her fridge when I visited in July. Holy god, I had to spit out the first spoonful. I don't know what it was about the taste that I found so offensive, but I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

Offline ihop

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 02:03:44 PM »
Regarding the bolded, me too. I also eat frequently (every few hours).

My mom had some Oikos yogurt in her fridge when I visited in July. Holy god, I had to spit out the first spoonful. I don't know what it was about the taste that I found so offensive, but I'm shuddering just thinking about it.

Was the Oikos flavored?  I like Oikos but can't stand the Yoplait Greek.  Blech.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
Was the Oikos flavored?  I like Oikos but can't stand the Yoplait Greek.  Blech.

Vanilla. I usually just eat plain yogurt that I add fruit and granola too, but there was just some odd flavor to the Oikos.

siamesedream

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 09:25:34 PM »
I have a love for venti mocha frapps, thank god I have a good metabolism.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2015, 06:17:45 PM »
I like the vanilla! I often add cereal to it though. ☺

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

+-SUPPORT US