Author Topic: Gluten free stuffing?  (Read 10858 times)

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
Gluten free stuffing?
« on: November 18, 2015, 06:47:33 AM »
Any suggestions, recommendations? I have been put in charge of stuffing this year and my BIL avoids gluten. Should I use homemade gluten free bread (probably would use a mix) or buy store bought gluten free bread? Something else? Recipe suggestions?
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Gluten free stuffing?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 07:02:03 AM »
I have bought GF mixes that were good, but i found this in vegetarian times

Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 07:04:20 AM »
You could use cornbread.  I've used it before and it was good. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 07:08:11 AM »

siamesedream

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 08:42:18 AM »
I want all the gluten and all the stuffing. :eats:

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:12:51 AM »
Tell your brother in law to avoid your perfect traditional stuffing. There's not like there's nothing else on that table he'll be able to eat. Like everything except the rolls.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 12:11:04 PM »
wild rice makes a good stuffing!

use cooked and cooled rice, mix it with a ton of shallots sauteed in butter to soften, your choice of chopped dried fruit and nuts (hazelnut is particularly good here), some rosemary, black pepper

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »
Tell your brother in law to avoid your perfect traditional stuffing. There's not like there's nothing else on that table he'll be able to eat. Like everything except the rolls.

That's sort of my take on things, but my MIL asked if I could tackle this one part of the meal, and it's the least I can do. Honestly, I'll probably make my usual kick ass stuffing and find a gluten free mix version for him.

Thank you all for your suggestions!!

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 01:34:36 PM »
Make all of the suggested recipes!  They sound GOOD!  The fruit one!  The sausage & cornbread one!  The rice one!  OMG- FOOD!
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
Make all of the suggested recipes!  They sound GOOD!  The fruit one!  The sausage & cornbread one!  The rice one!  OMG- FOOD!

I know, I'm going home tonight and gorging on stuffing!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 04:17:31 PM »
I think it is nice that you are going out of your way to accommodate your BIL. I never expect anyone to but when they do, it is really appreciated.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 06:03:46 PM »
Because PANTS

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 07:45:43 AM »
I can't believe I didn't think of this yesterday, but when I do a turkey, I stuff the cavity with bread but the neck with sausage stuffing:

In a food processor, mince: 1 onion, 1 apple (cored), 1 stalk from celery heart including leaf, 1 parsnip
1 - 2 cups of rolled oats, crushed and broken by rubbing between hands
fresh sage, finely chopped
lots of cracked black pepper
1 package of unseasoned sausage meat (I buy a half kilogram of pork sausage meat from my butcher)

combine all the ingredients the day before you cook it... stuff loosely into bird... leftover stuffing (that didn't fit) can be used to stuff squash or peppers or onions OR rolled into balls and wrapped with bacon and cooked around the bird or in a separate pan (or just made into patties and fried up)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2015, 08:21:52 AM »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2015, 08:23:52 AM »

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 09:45:52 AM »
I use wild rice to make a stuffing for chicken. I bet you could find many different, delicious recipes online.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 10:22:36 PM »
cornbread stuffing is the best anyway.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 12:51:27 PM »
I'd find a cornbread stuffing recipe that sounds good, and then use Bob's Red Mill GF cornbread mix to make the cornbread. Since you don't cook GF most of the time it's not really worth buying whatever GF flour you'd need to make your own GF cornbread. I've used the mix and it's good, I think I found it at Whole Foods. I haven't found a GF bread that I like, either from a mix or already baked, so IMO cornbread is the way to go.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 06:23:41 PM »
Bob's GF cornbread is delicious
Because PANTS

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 08:00:11 PM »

I'd find a cornbread stuffing recipe that sounds good, and then use Bob's Red Mill GF cornbread mix to make the cornbread. Since you don't cook GF most of the time it's not really worth buying whatever GF flour you'd need to make your own GF cornbread. I've used the mix and it's good, I think I found it at Whole Foods. I haven't found a GF bread that I like, either from a mix or already baked, so IMO cornbread is the way to go.

I'm going to do this. I know someone mentioned using cornbread above, but I was scratching my head to how that could be gluten free as all the cornbread I've ever made has flour in it. I see the BRM one is gluten free. Now I just need to find some!

Thanks!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:46 AM »
I'm going to do this. I know someone mentioned using cornbread above, but I was scratching my head to how that could be gluten free as all the cornbread I've ever made has flour in it. I see the BRM one is gluten free. Now I just need to find some!

Hey, I wouldn't steer you wrong.  Gluten free cornbread isn't hard to pull off.  If you can't find it in the stores around you, it's easy to make. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »

Thanks!

I think I got mine at Whole Foods, but check the health section of your grocery store. If you can't find a mix, I bought a bag of BRM gluten free flour at Walmart that you can sub for flour that is decent and only about $3. I didn't like the chocolate chip cookies I made with it but for stuff like cornbread or as a thickening agent where flour is not the main component of the recipe it works well.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »
I don't know that I've ever put wheat flour in cornbread.  Am I doing it wrong?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
I think I got mine at Whole Foods, but check the health section of your grocery store. If you can't find a mix, I bought a bag of BRM gluten free flour at Walmart that you can sub for flour that is decent and only about $3. I didn't like the chocolate chip cookies I made with it but for stuff like cornbread or as a thickening agent where flour is not the main component of the recipe it works well.
There are 2 BRM GF flours-- one is the original with chickpea flour and the other is a "baking" mix and white. VERY different in their taste. Chickpea flour is bitter and yes some of it cooks out but best for savory items. If anyone is near a Wegmans they GF baking mix is very good, I believe Aldi's is pretty much the same ingredients.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
This is a late report back but the BRM cornbread stuffing was awesome. I just subbed the cornbread in for my regular favorite stuffing recipe.

I used my crappy ass gluten free loaf to make salad croutons. Never again. Gluten free is for the birds.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
Gluten free baking is an art of some sorts. It is a lot of trial and error to get it to work for each type of product you are trying to make. I am not cooking grain free and that is even trickier, but a lot more successes than failures.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
I'm late, but Creole rice stuffing would probably work.

Often times modified dishes fall short.

Creole Rice Stuffing
1 cup long-grain rice
1 (9-ounce) package sliced frozen okra, thawed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Fresh herbs for garnish
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
I'm late, but Creole rice stuffing would probably work.

Often times modified dishes fall short.

Creole Rice Stuffing
1 cup long-grain rice
1 (9-ounce) package sliced frozen okra, thawed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Fresh herbs for garnish

this recipe seems like it would be delicious.  i am going to try it.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
this recipe seems like it would be delicious.  i am going to try it.

it's really good.  Adding a little sausage with a bit of sage seasoning can really perk it up. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
I was going to say that I was surprised the Creole recipe didn't include sausage and then happy to see the following post.  I may try it (sans sausage) too.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US