Author Topic: Is the New York Marathon really that hilly?  (Read 5974 times)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
Is the New York Marathon really that hilly?
« on: October 22, 2014, 02:21:50 PM »
People posting on line keep talking about how hilly it is.. yeah.. I get that the bridges incline and I get there are some hills in Central park and that coming up 5th Avenue is a hill... but the elevation does not look that bad?

Is it one of those.. this is relative type things?  Like if you run in Iowa, yeah it's hilly, but if you run the hills of Valley Forge park it's nothing?

Online Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: Is the New York Marathon really that hilly?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
Depends on how many homeless people you need to jump over. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 09:53:34 AM by Fast Eddie »
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 06:21:22 PM »
Is it one of those.. this is relative type things?  Like if you run in Iowa, yeah it's hilly, but if you run the hills of Valley Forge park it's nothing?

Mostly this.  The Utah elites I know who have run it find the 'hilly' description amusing.

Offline arc918

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:59:40 PM »
I was expecting the bridges (= man-made hills), but Central Park was tough as it at the end of the race.

FWIW - I'm a flat lander, so I have to actively seek out hills to train on.  So if you eat hills for breakfast on a daily basis, no worries.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »
Marine Corps was surprisingly hilly, but I am notorious for not reading course descriptions. I've run Pocono a couple times so "hilly" is relative. You will be fine, your training was solid, you really need to not worry so much but instead visualize your race, including your finish.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 07:36:51 PM »
Oh lol I forgot about visualization!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 07:59:35 AM »
I don't think I would ever call the last 10K of the marathon hilly.  If anything, it would be a relatively flat course for around here.  However, I remember that I had a hard time in the park and thought that it was much more demanding than I expected it to be.  I blamed that feeling on the surfaces we had to run on and on the large crowd of runners, which I find very demanding on my concentration.

I ran NYC twice and felt the same way twice.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:07:47 AM »
I would say no. Compared to most New England courses definitely not. The bridges are comfortable grades and its really just the timing of the central park hills that make them feel tough.

+-SUPPORT US