Author Topic: Favorite main dish summer salads?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline picote

• Passed on to another Brane
Favorite main dish summer salads?
« on: June 18, 2024, 10:44:06 AM »
I’ve been craving salads this summer and only have a few favorites I regularly make. Going to try Barry’s Bob salad, but any others you love? Dill and vinegar or lemon juice seem to be the common theme for our favorites, but open to trying something different.

Our go to salads in rotation:

We do this chicken over a bed of tomatoes, English cucumbers, black olives and romaine with the same dressing used for the marinade.
https://silkroadrecipes.com/mediterranean-grilled-chicken/#wprm-recipe-container-50107

For this one I usually poach a bunch of chicken breasts in the instant pot. We put over a bed of spinach or spring mix with lots of balsamic on top. The balsamic is key!
https://www.rachelcooks.com/dill-chicken-salad-healthy-and-easy/

This is new to our rotation, but so far everyone loves it.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/215901/tuna-and-chickpea-salad/

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Favorite main dish summer salads?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2024, 09:48:57 AM »
DH made a really tasty Sichuan chicken salad (Milk Street recipe) for dinner last night.  He served it with cold sesame-peanut noodles.

Other main dish salads on rotation during the summer are tortellini salad, Julia Child's salad Niçoise, white bean and tuna salad w/ roasted red peppers and feta, and chicken and black bean salad with red pepper jelly vinaigrette (this is addictive).

#notallprogressives

Offline picote

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2024, 08:48:46 PM »
DH made a really tasty Sichuan chicken salad (Milk Street recipe) for dinner last night.  He served it with cold sesame-peanut noodles.

Other main dish salads on rotation during the summer are tortellini salad, Julia Child's salad Niçoise, white bean and tuna salad w/ roasted red peppers and feta, and chicken and black bean salad with red pepper jelly vinaigrette (this is addictive).

Oh, these sound good! Off to google!

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2024, 12:09:10 PM »
Ceviche over greens --Yum.
Also three bean salad.

Not a main, but I am loving watermelon, feta and mint salad currently.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 12:51:23 PM »
https://cookieandkate.com/lemony-lentil-and-chickpea-salad-with-radish-and-herbs/

This is delicious. I have it over arugula or other greens.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2024, 11:13:32 AM »
Not a main, but I am loving watermelon, feta and mint salad currently.
I don't like watermelon, but there is a similar side with cantaloupe, a bit of oil & honey, feta, and thyme that I like.

And not really a "recipe", but I do like grilled salmon with Cajun seasoning on bag o' Caesar salad.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2024, 11:28:31 AM »
I don't like watermelon, but there is a similar side with cantaloupe, a bit of oil & honey, feta, and thyme that I like.

And not really a "recipe", but I do like grilled salmon with Cajun seasoning on bag o' Caesar salad.

my favourite way to have canteloupe as a savoury side is tossed with a bit of ground cardamom + ground cayenne... I was highly skeptical when my friend (then recently returned from Korea) suggested it, but it's delicious

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2024, 04:37:53 PM »
I love cardamom.  And I love cayenne.  SO I'd try it.  I put cayenne on peaches pretty frequently (I grill them with cayenne, a little butter, and maple syrup.  Yum!)
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

+-SUPPORT US