Author Topic: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking  (Read 1254 times)

Offline ihop

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
Re: "Newfie" Homestyle Cooking and Baking
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2019, 02:37:54 PM »
I had salted cod with mashed potatoes and bacon last week. :) It was ok... very heavy.
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • automatron
« Reply #82 on: August 15, 2019, 10:53:46 AM »
salt cod with potatoes and bacon is excellent when the weather is blustery.  i don't know that i'd want to eat it in the summertime.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »
I had salted cod with mashed potatoes and bacon last week. :) It was ok... very heavy.

like mixed together?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2019, 11:44:54 AM »
My mom used to serve salted cod with mashed potatoes. I didn't like it as a kid but I bet I'd like it a lot now.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2019, 11:45:42 AM »
No, there were two mounds of mashed potatoes, a mound of salted cod, bacon sprinkled all over and a side of chow. I thought it tasted best all mixed together, though. It’s not really my cup of tea but wanted to try salted cod.

This was in Shelbourne, NS. We are now in the Bras d’Or lakes and I’m looking forward to finding some wild blueberries.
“Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.”
― Albert Einstein

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #86 on: August 16, 2019, 09:44:12 AM »
No, there were two mounds of mashed potatoes, a mound of salted cod, bacon sprinkled all over and a side of chow. I thought it tasted best all mixed together, though. It’s not really my cup of tea but wanted to try salted cod.

This was in Shelbourne, NS. We are now in the Bras d’Or lakes and I’m looking forward to finding some wild blueberries.

If you are in the Bras d'Or Lakes region, you really should eat eel. Might be a tad bit early for blueberries in Cape Breton, but maybe not.

In Newfoundland, people make salt cod and potatoes, which would be salt cod boiled in a pot with potatoes then separated out for serving. Topped with rendered salt back fat and scrunchions. Might be served with mustard pickle. Similar to what you had anyway. I find it really bland. Some people love it.

IMO, the best things to do with salt cod is to soak it, poach it, then marinade while still hot in a red wine vinaigrette... when cooled to room temp, serve in a salad with thin sliced radishes and thin sliced red onion, lots of parsley and a bit of lovage.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:51:15 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #87 on: August 16, 2019, 10:43:20 AM »
This food all sounds very Scandinavian.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2019, 10:46:21 AM »
This food all sounds very Scandinavian.

well, we ae all sharing the north Atlantic ocean... same land resources too (caribou/reindeer, partridgeberry/lignonberry, bakeapple/cloudberry, blueberries, grouse, hare, etc.)

the scandinavian climate is a bit more conducive to agriculture than here

+-SUPPORT US