Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 5121 times)

Online bookworm1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2019, 07:38:19 PM »
I know the feeling!  :-[

Funny story: I started making bread because my husband has memories of the little bread you get at breakfast in Germany and he loves them so much and you just can't find anything like that here. So, after trying every roll in town I started making my own. Then chery convinced me to try the sourdough. So, I no longer make little rolls.  :D

I'm switching to the little rolls because we almost never finish a loaf before it goes bad so I want something with a longer shelf life or that I can freeze some of. The sourdough is addicting.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #241 on: July 14, 2019, 08:56:53 AM »
I just slice the loaf and freeze it so I can pull out slices whenever i want.

Ok folks, packaging presentation question!
Currently I put the loaf in a plastic bag, then into a kraft paper gift bag with handles, and slap my label on that.  I need to get more of the gift bags so am considering options...

I could go with the same, or...

linen bags, hand stamped "logo" on it
wrapped in kraft paper, tied with string, again i could stamp the logo on it.

Which sounds better, as a gift?

I like the idea of the linen bag, but it seems wasteful to me, unless reused.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #242 on: July 15, 2019, 02:57:50 PM »
I like the nice paper bags with handles.  I feel guilty about having linen bags or whathaveyou that are hard to re-use - they don't stand up and really only fit a couple of books or spare pair of shoes - just not useful.  Plus the nice paper bags stand up by themselves on gift tables or under the Christmas tree.  I totally re-use those for gift bags, whether or not they have a logo on them that has anything to do with the gift I'm giving.  (Note I just spent 5 years in a relationship with a man who uses duct tape on gift packages, so what is reusable got skewed a bit.)
If in your estimation there is a greater than 0% chance that I will later decide that I shouldn't have said that, please do not quote me.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #243 on: July 15, 2019, 03:13:07 PM »
I like the craft paper wrapping idea. Plastic ruins your crust.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #244 on: July 15, 2019, 10:55:49 PM »
I like the craft paper wrapping idea. Plastic ruins your crust.

Good point.  When I give a loaf out that's been baked the same day I just put it in the kraft bag and twistie a plastic one to the handle for later.  IMO, past 6 hour or so, plastic is actually the way to go to keep it fresher.  The crust can be revived.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #245 on: July 16, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
Sourdough hack if you bake in a hot dutch oven on parchment...

Go buy a grill mat that is rated for 500F and above.

Cut the grill mat to fit the bottom of your dutch oven, but leave two tabs on either side to lower the dough into the oven.

I saw one on a FB group so made one and wow does it work slick!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #246 on: July 16, 2019, 01:35:46 PM »
Do you use the grill mat instead of parchment?

Offline CheryG

« Reply #247 on: July 16, 2019, 03:11:21 PM »
Yes. It's easier to lower it in without burning oneself, and totally eliminates any parchment paper wrinkles along the side of the loaf.  Woot!

Helps to dust the bottom of the loaf before inverting onto the grill mat, just in case you need to center it better.

+-SUPPORT US