Author Topic: Sourdough  (Read 3188 times)

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Sourdough
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
Bread people -- what's the shelf life of yeast? I have a big jar of it that I keep in the freezer. It seems to have lost its mojo a bit. Can I just add more than the recipe calls for, or do I need to toss it and buy new yeast?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
If it's lost it's oomph I'd just replace it. Otherwise it will be unpredictable, which is a bummer.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2019, 10:48:12 AM »
If it's lost it's oomph I'd just replace it. Otherwise it will be unpredictable, which is a bummer.

I made a batch of bread a few weeks ago and didn't get a lot of yeast action when I did, but the bread turned out fine so I didn't worry too much about it. Then Eliza used some yesterday for a volcano science experiment and the volcano didn't blow at all. I gave her a double dose for today and hopefully it works for her, but if it doesn't I think you're right, I should just get new yeast.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »
Just replace it.

But... in the future... Instant Yeast is more stable than Active Dry yeast...

Offline CheryG

Offline bookworm1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2019, 06:03:08 PM »
Does anyone have experience with one of these silicone break makers? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F6EN96/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1 I am intrigued. I usually just use my bread machine because it is easy, but would like to branch out in types of bread. I do have a cast iron dutch oven, but this thing looks nice and simple.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2019, 07:30:45 AM »
I do not. :)  It looks cool, but it also looks like it won't trap steam, which is why I use the Dutch oven.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2019, 07:33:30 AM »
Today's project is a high hydration stretch and fold that had a cold bulk rise and an 8 hour retard straight into the oven- compared with the same dough that's being given a period to rise after the retard.  I need to dial in how the dough feels and reacts during and after a retard.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #208 on: May 20, 2019, 10:32:49 AM »
CG, how'd it go?

I tried the KA flour recipe that puts the levain in the fridge for 12 hours. Then a 5 hour bulk ferment on the counter then 2-4 hours after shaping. It sunk around my slashes again. I like the *idea* of that method because when I try and proof loaves in the fridge overnight they always seem to stick to the towel. But, I just haven't had good success with this method!

Bookworm-- clever idea-- I hadn't seen that!