Author Topic: Strava Flybys  (Read 87 times)

Offline offended by everything

• The Runners
Strava Flybys
« on: November 10, 2017, 07:42:49 PM »
I'm sure I'm hopelessly late to the game on this. I'm primarily a Garmin Connect user but a colleague persuaded me to give Strava a spin. I don't cycle but the run feature is decent and it logs my swims as well. But this flyby thing is pretty interesting and a little stalkerish to boot. I mostly run on the Chicago lake front and a couple of local forest preserves and I almost always register multiple flybys. I was in London last week with 4 runs in Hyde Park and sure enough multiple flybys on each run. I think it's interesting to look at the profiles of those sharing the road with you. I'm starting to speculate if runners I pass on my runs are Strava users.

Maybe we've had a flyby here and didn't even know it.

Online SnarlyMarly

• Turgid
Re: Strava Flybys
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:03:24 AM »
I have been resistant as I really don't want people to know where I bike.   Everyone says "don't start it until you are far away".    I have some acquaintances have their bikes stolen.   

Well, that and I am not very electronically connected in the last 10 years.  😂

But thinking I will connect to Strava when I am staying at someone else's home for a month🤣

When I had my bike accident this summer and flipped over a guy, it WAS pretty cool that strava sent his wife a text letting her know her man was down.   i bike a lot by myself and it would actually be a layer of protection.   A friend of mine was hit from behind...nudged....like me she can't keep up with a faster spouse and was riding alone.    There was a witness that got a license plate and the person had a prior and rope and duct tape in car.   

Offline cold comfort

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 06:27:10 PM »
I'm going to have a look at this. I'm on Strava (Garmin Connect automagically send my workouts, run & cycle, there).

A couple of us send kudos back & forth, havent used it much other than that.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 08:21:55 AM »
I can definitely see some of the roadies around here posting on Strava, and there may be some segments on the MTB trails in the Pine Barrens near me

We don't have any KOM/QOM worthy hills around, that's for sure
"I thought it over and have decided to say: Your comment is quite possibly one of the stupidest comments I have ever read on Slowtwitch, which is kind of like saying, “this might just be the worst 3-bean salad I’ve ever had at Sizzler.“

Offline offended by everything

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 06:08:53 AM »
Was in Singapore last week and collected between 6 to 12 Flybys per run - a couple I have a distinct memory of seeing. It definitely adds a different dimension to being on the roads.

Never gave much thought to the safety issue but I've no bike to steal.