Author Topic: Strava Flybys  (Read 3548 times)

Offline offended by everything

• The Runners
Strava Flybys
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »
I'm sure I'm hopelessly late to the game on this. I'm primarily a Garmin Connect user but a colleague persuaded me to give Strava a spin. I don't cycle but the run feature is decent and it logs my swims as well. But this flyby thing is pretty interesting and a little stalkerish to boot. I mostly run on the Chicago lake front and a couple of local forest preserves and I almost always register multiple flybys. I was in London last week with 4 runs in Hyde Park and sure enough multiple flybys on each run. I think it's interesting to look at the profiles of those sharing the road with you. I'm starting to speculate if runners I pass on my runs are Strava users.

Maybe we've had a flyby here and didn't even know it.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: Strava Flybys
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:03:24 AM »
I have been resistant as I really don't want people to know where I bike.   Everyone says "don't start it until you are far away".    I have some acquaintances have their bikes stolen.   

Well, that and I am not very electronically connected in the last 10 years.  😂

But thinking I will connect to Strava when I am staying at someone else's home for a month🤣

When I had my bike accident this summer and flipped over a guy, it WAS pretty cool that strava sent his wife a text letting her know her man was down.   i bike a lot by myself and it would actually be a layer of protection.   A friend of mine was hit from behind...nudged....like me she can't keep up with a faster spouse and was riding alone.    There was a witness that got a license plate and the person had a prior and rope and duct tape in car.   

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
I'm going to have a look at this. I'm on Strava (Garmin Connect automagically send my workouts, run & cycle, there).

A couple of us send kudos back & forth, havent used it much other than that.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 07:08:53 AM »
Was in Singapore last week and collected between 6 to 12 Flybys per run - a couple I have a distinct memory of seeing. It definitely adds a different dimension to being on the roads.

Never gave much thought to the safety issue but I've no bike to steal.

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 08:05:26 PM »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 08:41:36 PM »
Hmmm. I'm on but pretty GD obscure. Pseudonym no picture.  :sneaking: Phantom runner. The entire thing is a bit big brotherish/creepy but it was cool to see some flybys at races.   
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
Yeah, if I was 35 and hammering, I'd post them there.

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 05:38:25 PM »
Goofy Strava Stuff

Of note - the woman with the 3:10 marathon pushing a stroller and the Garmin Dragons.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
I'll stick to running, thank you.

+-SUPPORT US