Author Topic: local half marathon rerouted the morning of the race  (Read 5660 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
local half marathon rerouted the morning of the race
« on: December 14, 2014, 12:32:59 PM »
So yesterday was a local half marathon. About three hours before the race a drunk driver took out a major power pole on the course closing the road (major road that is still closed today). The poor organizors apparently had to reroute the course and it got shorted by amost three miles. How would you react as a runner?

I didnt run it,  by the way.

Edited: It actually never included a full.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 12:57:22 PM by Magic Microbe »

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: local marathon rerouted the morning of the race
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 12:45:43 PM »
#1.  That really sucks for the race director & the runners.  And of course, any victims of the crash. 
#2.  Better to re-route than cancel? 
#3.  If had been training for and planning on running a marathon today, I would be pretty upset to only have a 23 mile race.  I'd be less upset with the half being short unless I was really hoping for a PR.
#4.  I would have gotten over being upset, I'd be thankful that I get to run, and look forward to setting a new PR at the 23 mile distance.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: local half marathon rerouted the morning of the race
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 02:08:11 PM »
Suck for the Race Organizers.  Stupid drunk driver.  >:(

Three miles shorted seems very excessive in a 13.1 mile race.  I will assume for now the new route was done in consultation with police and town officials.

Will they time adjust to a half marathon distance is results, or call it a ten miler?

I remember a half marathon that had to be rerouted race morning due to a snow storm the day before.  It ended up almost a mile longer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 07:53:53 PM by Fast Eddie »
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
It would not bother me. If I really was intent on running 13.1, I would have gone back on the course and run more until the GPS said 13.1.
They did their best at the last minute.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:50:32 PM »
At this point in the year, I wouldn't be too upset. My PR attempts come earlier.

Besides, it's an accident rather than a dumbass RD.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:17:01 PM »
I guess it would depend on the situation. I'd be most disappointed if it was a major race for me and/or something I'd traveled a long way to do-- or maybe my first attempt at a distance. But, I'm just not that serious about running and I don't think I'd be too upset.

That said-- I live in an area where it's not that hard to find a half to run. In fact, over thanksgiving weekend they do an event called the "quadzilla" which is four full (or half) marathons in 4 days.

So, if I were not in shape, I'd probably be relieved. If I was in shape, I'd probably just find another race the next weekend.

*shrug*

+-SUPPORT US