Author Topic: Strides or sprints: do you do them?  (Read 3632 times)

siamesedream

Strides or sprints: do you do them?
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:01:54 AM »
And do you think they're an effective workout for improving running economy?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 01:52:29 AM by siamesedream »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Strides or sprints: do you do them?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 07:57:01 AM »
Sometimes, whenever I feel like it; Never with a plan. Yes, I think they improve running economy.
ETA: I think that they may increase chances of injury, so I do them less frequently as I get older.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 09:50:44 AM »
I typically do them barefoot on the football field.  I only do them at about 50--60% effort.  Sometimes, I do them on a slight downhill on the roads.  They key is to run them relaxed.

siamesedream

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 12:30:50 PM »
I typically do them barefoot on the football field.  I only do them at about 50--60% effort.  Sometimes, I do them on a slight downhill on the roads.  They key is to run them relaxed.

I do them at 85 percent effort, I think they really help. I always remember hearing track people say to: "Never venture very far away from speed."

I think doing some faster running helps me maintain contact with fast twitch muscles that otherwise wouldn't be used.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »
Right now all I am doing is sprinting, since I am training for masters track.  I'm sure you are asking about strides or a track workout whie training for distance running though.  Distance running and sprinting are a poor mix.  If you are training for distance running races (like 99% of adult runners) you should not sprint.  85% is far too fast and you risk pulling a hammy or a groin.

That said, strides and speedwork are essential for distance running.  But you should max out at about 70% top speed on those.  You can do the strides at the end of a run. For example after a 5 mile run, do 4 x 200m strides. Do the first 200m slightly faster than your distance running pace, with each 200 increasing in speed until the last one (which should not be an all out sprint).

Also recommended is a track workout once a week.  6 x 800m repeats is a good example of a quality distance running speed workout.
Hockey sucks

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:43 AM »
I kind of retired from doing in sprint or track speed work.  Still do some hill work.  But I think I should go back to doing my "ABC" strides once the grass fields are clear of snow again.  Need to loosen up my hips.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

iwuzwilson

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »
To steal from I believe James Carville of the Bill Clinton campaign/administration: It's the economy, stupid!

Strides/pick ups at roughly mile pace are an important component of training from the mile up to marathon. 5 to 10 reps from 15-25 seconds about once a week will help you keep your distance running technique reasonably efficient.

+-SUPPORT US