Author Topic: Gluten free stuffing?  (Read 11084 times)

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Gluten free stuffing?
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:46 AM »
I'm going to do this. I know someone mentioned using cornbread above, but I was scratching my head to how that could be gluten free as all the cornbread I've ever made has flour in it. I see the BRM one is gluten free. Now I just need to find some!

Hey, I wouldn't steer you wrong.  Gluten free cornbread isn't hard to pull off.  If you can't find it in the stores around you, it's easy to make. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
I'm going to do this. I know someone mentioned using cornbread above, but I was scratching my head to how that could be gluten free as all the cornbread I've ever made has flour in it. I see the BRM one is gluten free. Now I just need to find some!

Thanks!

I think I got mine at Whole Foods, but check the health section of your grocery store. If you can't find a mix, I bought a bag of BRM gluten free flour at Walmart that you can sub for flour that is decent and only about $3. I didn't like the chocolate chip cookies I made with it but for stuff like cornbread or as a thickening agent where flour is not the main component of the recipe it works well.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2015, 12:05:38 PM »
I don't know that I've ever put wheat flour in cornbread.  Am I doing it wrong?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 01:29:46 PM »
I think I got mine at Whole Foods, but check the health section of your grocery store. If you can't find a mix, I bought a bag of BRM gluten free flour at Walmart that you can sub for flour that is decent and only about $3. I didn't like the chocolate chip cookies I made with it but for stuff like cornbread or as a thickening agent where flour is not the main component of the recipe it works well.
There are 2 BRM GF flours-- one is the original with chickpea flour and the other is a "baking" mix and white. VERY different in their taste. Chickpea flour is bitter and yes some of it cooks out but best for savory items. If anyone is near a Wegmans they GF baking mix is very good, I believe Aldi's is pretty much the same ingredients.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 11:07:51 PM »
This is a late report back but the BRM cornbread stuffing was awesome. I just subbed the cornbread in for my regular favorite stuffing recipe.

I used my crappy ass gluten free loaf to make salad croutons. Never again. Gluten free is for the birds.
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2015, 08:27:46 AM »
Gluten free baking is an art of some sorts. It is a lot of trial and error to get it to work for each type of product you are trying to make. I am not cooking grain free and that is even trickier, but a lot more successes than failures.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »
I'm late, but Creole rice stuffing would probably work.

Often times modified dishes fall short.

Creole Rice Stuffing
1 cup long-grain rice
1 (9-ounce) package sliced frozen okra, thawed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Fresh herbs for garnish
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2015, 01:12:11 PM »
I'm late, but Creole rice stuffing would probably work.

Often times modified dishes fall short.

Creole Rice Stuffing
1 cup long-grain rice
1 (9-ounce) package sliced frozen okra, thawed
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 celery stalks, diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce
1 (16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
Fresh herbs for garnish

this recipe seems like it would be delicious.  i am going to try it.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »
this recipe seems like it would be delicious.  i am going to try it.

it's really good.  Adding a little sausage with a bit of sage seasoning can really perk it up. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
I was going to say that I was surprised the Creole recipe didn't include sausage and then happy to see the following post.  I may try it (sans sausage) too.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US