Author Topic: as we approach the end of the year, a systems check  (Read 10029 times)

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
as we approach the end of the year, a systems check
« on: December 05, 2015, 10:38:53 AM »
my overall goals have been reached:
A decent base of 2000 for the year (1900 to date) is well within reach.
Injury free. I had challenges earlier in the year, I feel fine now. No real "niggling aches", etc

Ancillary goal of weight loss has not, gained 10lbs actually.
Wanted to get another half in (two earlier in the year). That's probably not going to happen.

I had no marathon or speedwork on my radar. Just wanted to focus on that base and avoiding significant injury. Success.

Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

siamesedream

Re: as we approach the end of the year, a systems check
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 11:17:06 AM »
I'm just glad to be running after my toe injury. I've put on a few pounds, but am relatively lean for my body weight. Keeping my fingers crossed for continued foot health, not going crazy on the mileage. Lifting weights for vanity.

:runner:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »
I  did not even look at my 2015 data, but I am "safe""  2,025.8 miles for the year as of this morning,  I usually am in the 2,000 mile range.

No injuries to report, and I hope that stays the same.

No weight gain to report, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to lose weight. I still fit in all my clothes from 10+ years ago, too.

I had scheduled two marathons. One was cancelled due to hazardous weather. I could not find a substitute in February. A second one was a spur-of-the-moment thing in July, for which I did not do any training run more than HM.  I walk-ran the event for 4:50, in 90 degree weather.  I did a pattern of 20 minute run/10 minute walk, so, 1/3 was walked. The marathon course was gorgeous, one of the prettiest I ever did, so I am very pleased that I did it.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 06:52:17 PM »
Four marathons this year. Dealt with a throat irritation all this year thanks to a severe cold in Febuary causing me to cough as spit on many of my runs.  Did manage a sub 4 hour marathon for the first time in three years.

Next marathon, Mississippi Blues on January 9th. 
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »
Slacker here... Although I'm not That diligent at record keeping I only have about 1075, which includes the philly marathon where I bq'd but only with a min and 40 seconds cushion so doubtful I will get in

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
I have 94 more miles to go before I hit 2,000 for the year which should be no problem. 2,000 miles/year is a good benchmark of consistency for me. Stayed consistent in the gym too, looking forward to doing more work there too.

I raced very little this year. No marathon, only one last minute half in October that went very well. Nothing really hurts, so that's good but my joints seem to have a constant creakiness these days. Sometimes I really want a new marathon goal but other times I'm very happy with the more relaxed approach I took this year. We'll see.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 03:02:54 PM by caito »
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 02:58:05 PM »
I ran 3 races this year to establish my 50+ age group baselines.  A May half marathon at Kalamazoo in 1:40:29 (7:39).  The July 4th 10k here in 45:26 (7:19).  The pre-Thanksgiving half marathon here in 1:36:49 (7:24).   So I guess I ended the year fitter than I began it.   I stayed relatively healthy through the year, though that last HM took a lot out of me and I decided to take a weeks rest afterwards because my hamstrings were quite wobbly.  I did no speed workouts and no 5k or mile races this year.  Just longer slower stuff, with 7:40 pace being about as fast as I ever ran a training run.

Weight has been an issue.  My lowest weight was around 165 and my highest and current weight is almost 172.  I consider 160 to be the top end of racing weight for me.  I'm really struggling to control the fork, especially after 5 pm.  I also need to get to bed earlier and maybe add in a 2nd workout before going to work most mornings.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2015, 03:08:56 PM »
I ran 3 races this year to establish my 50+ age group baselines.  A May half marathon at Kalamazoo in 1:40:29 (7:39).  The July 4th 10k here in 45:26 (7:19).  The pre-Thanksgiving half marathon here in 1:36:49 (7:24).   So I guess I ended the year fitter than I began it.   I stayed relatively healthy through the year, though that last HM took a lot out of me and I decided to take a weeks rest afterwards because my hamstrings were quite wobbly.  I did no speed workouts and no 5k or mile races this year.  Just longer slower stuff, with 7:40 pace being about as fast as I ever ran a training run.

Weight has been an issue.  My lowest weight was around 165 and my highest and current weight is almost 172.  I consider 160 to be the top end of racing weight for me.  I'm really struggling to control the fork, especially after 5 pm.  I also need to get to bed earlier and maybe add in a 2nd workout before going to work most mornings.

You never let on that you were so speedy!  Unless I missed it :(

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2015, 07:10:02 PM »
A lot of my training and races were faster than last year. So, if I have a decent winter of training; my spring races should be decent and hopefully faster than this year.  I had a running streak of 205 days which may be why I am a little faster than last year.  This also resulted in some weight loss which is good news for a lot of my pants.

My weight lifting is also improving.  I am benching a bit more and doing more reps.  I've also added another exercise.

At this point, next year looks promising.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2015, 07:35:56 PM »
You never let on that you were so speedy!  Unless I missed it :(

I'm just a barely-BQ kind of runner.  Not slow, but nothing special in my AG and I might get a top 3 only if nobody good shows up in these parts.  My only saving grace is knowing that I've never raced with a BMI under 24 so if I ever get sickly looking (Thanks, Randy!!) I might set some lifetime PRs!

Richard, you are an inspiration!

Belgian Lace

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 08:04:16 PM »
More miles, no injuries, same weight as the past five years, and a huge 13.1 PR.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 12:04:43 PM »

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 02:55:03 PM »
I'm looking at about 700 miles for the year.
I suffered from general malaise and lack of motivation for about the first half, but have averaged a solid for me 20-25 miles per week since August.
Had a decent half marathon in October and a good 5k last weekend.
Would like to keep it going through the winter, but need a little bit of help from mother nature.
I don't do treadmills.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2015, 04:43:59 PM »
I don't keep track of miles. I just spent year 2 on the chronic injury wagon. I have been more or less able to run through and work through some of the aches and pains. I am trying to back off a bit right now to allow some foot pain to alleviate, but I'm not sure it's working. I ran 2 50Ks, 2 marathons, a half, a relay - all in the woods. My new happy place. Not sure what's on tap for next year at this point. My friend and I are discussing going west to try a trail race out there, but I'm feeling a bit chicken to commit until my foot is better. My weight is more or less the same, but I'm feeling a little flabby. It's hard to stay motivated when your body feels broken. I am cross training as much as possible. Consistently going to yoga on Monday nights, boxing once a week and a group personal training class on Friday mornings. In between running a couple of days. As the weather gets bad and I don't do treadmills, I will go to boxing more. For the sake of my back I need to stay off the slippery stuff as much as possible.

Zapatista

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 06:42:39 PM »
Headed for 1850+. Most since 07. And 41 seconds faster than last year.  I've enjoyed my runs more the last year and in a half than I had for a long time.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2015, 02:20:31 PM »
Total miles are irrelevant for me (and sprintist as well).  I had a good year:

Finished 11th at Indoor National Masters T&F Championship in 60 meter dash, 6th in Long Jump in March
Finished 12th at Outdoor National Masters T&F Championship in 100 meters, 10th in 200 meters, 6th in Long Jump.  A fellow competitor in the long jump was an orthopedic surgeon and he was astounded I was long jumping with an artificial hip.  He told me I was the story of the meet.  I was flattered (but not the story of the meet).

Ran a half marathon in October.

Happy to be able to sprint and do distance running as well on my artificial hip at age 56.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2015, 04:26:09 PM »
Total miles are irrelevant for me (and sprintist as well).  I had a good year:

Finished 11th at Indoor National Masters T&F Championship in 60 meter dash, 6th in Long Jump in March
Finished 12th at Outdoor National Masters T&F Championship in 100 meters, 10th in 200 meters, 6th in Long Jump.  A fellow competitor in the long jump was an orthopedic surgeon and he was astounded I was long jumping with an artificial hip.  He told me I was the story of the meet.  I was flattered (but not the story of the meet).

Ran a half marathon in October.

Happy to be able to sprint and do distance running as well on my artificial hip at age 56.

Did not know this about the hip.  and we are approximately the same age; had no idea either.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2015, 02:49:04 PM »
a review of my spreadsheet reveled an error.  :yikes: I am only at 1898 as of today. Still, 2k is within reach. Off last two weeks of Dec so that should help.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2015, 07:13:13 AM »
a review of my spreadsheet reveled an error.  :yikes: I am only at 1898 as of today. Still, 2k is within reach. Off last two weeks of Dec so that should help.

Junk miles are miles run to made the log look "good".   :)

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 08:51:54 AM »
Junk miles are miles run to made the log look "good".   :)

:D

Call me Mr Junk.

+-SUPPORT US