Author Topic: Sioux Falls, SD Marathon Race Report  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Sioux Falls, SD Marathon Race Report
« on: August 28, 2022, 09:59:53 PM »
On the road again to the Sioux Falls, SD Marathon. Left Friday early 5am out of Toronto for a 12-hour drive to Des Moines. A road trip I have made a couple of times already. Once to run the Des Monies Marathon and once for work, working the Marathon Expo.

The reason to leave really early was not only to beat morning rush hour traffic, but to also make the Iowa Cubs ball game. Nice stadium with the State Capitol building in the outfield back drop. Also it was fireworks night.

Saturday morning was the 4-hour final mileage to Sioux Falls. Went to the Expo to pick up the race stuff, then did a quick tour of the Falls Park and the downtown area. Returned to the race Expo, as the 50 States Marathon Club was having a meetup reunion at this race, and they were presenting me with my 50 States Completion trophy/plaque. They had 70 members signed up for this race out of the just over 400+ full marathoners. About 30 people were at the reunion. Met some amazing marathoners, some doing their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 7th time around the 50 states.

Race time on Sunday was a 6:30am start to help beat the heat. 68F temp to start the race, and luckily, we were fortunately to have some wind and partially overcast skies for most of the race with the temps going up to the mid 70s and feeling like 80F with the humidity.

I undertrained for this race, as I took some time off after finishing my 50 States in Anchorage last July. Hung with the 4:15 pacer for the first ten miles, till I made a porta potty stop. Things were going pretty good considering I had no expectations or goal for this race. Went through the half in 2:08:08, but things started slowing up at 18 miles. Race course was great, mainly along Sioux Falls extensive recreation trail network, with a good tour of downtown, the falls, and the historic district. Not as flat as I expected for a mid-west race, mostly road under and overpasses.

Finished in 4:25:58 with a bit of cramping the last 500 meters.

SPLITS
21M   3:28:56
13.1M   2:08:08
10K   59:35
5K   30:00
AVG. PACE: 10:10 per mile
AGE GRADED %: 56 percent (view time) tooltip
OVERALL PLACE: 141 out of 334
SEX PLACE: 99 out of 207 Males
AGE GROUP PLACE: 5 out of 20 Males in the M6064 Age Group

« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 10:02:58 PM by Fast Eddie »
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: Sioux Falls, SD Marathon Race Report
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2022, 04:38:58 PM »
Congratulations for both the race result and the 50 States award. Your an inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Loco Coyote

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2022, 05:59:57 PM »
Nice run and road trip FastEddie!

Offline DrT(weekendwrAcur)

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 07:48:42 AM »
Not just a trophy but you got a cool hat, too!

Congrats again and “keep on runnin!”