Author Topic: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ  (Read 519 times)

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ
« on: January 19, 2019, 09:10:09 AM »
https://www.outsports.com/2019/1/18/18188348/rainbow-flag-triathlon-itu-policy-gay-athlete?fbclid=IwAR2Nzz9IOYnT1-IUfQUBV6X0XYOhFQNdi-tJ77eoZo2FeE1QKdUOE_wDYgA

The International Triathlon Union has banned rainbow flags from all competitions, equating the rainbow flag with unsportsmanlike, disrespectful and dangerous displays.

The new rule for 2019 states:

“Athletes will avoid displaying any kind of demonstration of political, religious, sexual orientation or racial propaganda.”

The “sexual orientation” part of that is the new part, and is designed specifically to eliminate rainbow flags from any competitions.

The punishment? The athlete will be warned and, if they do not remove the rainbow flag, they will be disqualified and removed from the competition.

Not cool, bro
"The best use of Imagination is Creativity. The worst use of Imagination is Anxiety" - Deepak Chopra

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: ITU bans rainbow flags - grounds for DQ
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 10:41:45 AM »
How are they going to regulate that? Rainbows are a pretty common type of imagery.

Would I get booted for wearing my new sweatshirt?

Offline ZyggiStarbucks

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:46:23 AM »
Bet you’d get more discussion over at slowtwitch, bro.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
"The best use of Imagination is Creativity. The worst use of Imagination is Anxiety" - Deepak Chopra

Offline ZyggiStarbucks

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:25 PM »

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 12:23:33 PM »
Here & there, yeah

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 07:25:57 AM »
AND ... ITU has re-thought the issue and revised its position

https://www.slowtwitch.com/News/ITU_Removes_Sexual_Orientation_Text_From_Rules_7148.html

The ITU added the following statement:

"The International Triathlon Union (ITU) has decided to immediately change the rule that stated that 'Athletes will avoid displaying any kind of demonstration of political, religious, sexual orientation or racial propaganda', so that 'sexual orientation' will be immediately removed.

"The ITU is aware of articles published recently suggesting that our institution was banning the rainbow flag at our events. We would like to clarify that we have always stood for equality, inclusion and respect, and would never knowingly take such a decision that would infringe on the rights and freedoms of people to express themselves and banning the display of rainbow flags. ITU is proud to be an organisation that is absolutely inclusive from its inception, and will continue to be so in the future."

Of course, folks at ST are praising Dan Empfield for his diligence in getting to USAT and asking them "So? What's YOUR stance on this?" who then went to ITU and asked "What the fuck is THIS about?"

Feels almost as good as busting a Bib-Swapper

Offline ZyggiStarbucks

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 04:40:51 PM »
"What the fuck is THIS about?!”
My sentiments about this thread.
We need siamesedream back. :D

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 08:07:43 PM »
We need siamesedream back. :D

No

We don't need anymore Haddonfield fucks around here

Besides, he won't come clear about which of my brothers he was in HS with, if either of them

Until he confirms that, he's a ghost to me

Offline ZyggiStarbucks

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2019, 10:36:19 AM »
No

We don't need anymore Haddonfield fucks around here

Besides, he won't come clear about which of my brothers he was in HS with, if either of them

Until he confirms that, he's a ghost to me
Ooohhh...I get it—you’re playing “bad cop” to try to get him back here!

Or else, that’s some weird-ass, melodramatic Rumplestiltskin shit you got goin on. :D

+-SUPPORT US