Author Topic: Chickpeas in turkey stuffing  (Read 17129 times)

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
Re: Chickpeas in turkey stuffing
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 11:42:20 PM »
Yes! This is our first time hosting and this is what I am looking forward to most! What bread to buy for turkey sandwiches could be a more important decision than how to cook my second turkey.

Homemade rolls are where it's at! My siblings and I decided that they are the most important part of thanksgiving dinner. Followed closely by pomegranate salad, chocolate dream pie, and mashed potatoes. Turkey is only important for sandwiches.

With all that said, I think kenyan and I are skipping actual thanksgiving in favor of a mashed potato bar at home alone. Friday we will get together with my aunts and uncles for Pie Meal, which is pizza, turkey pot pie or soup, and like ten different kinds of pie.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:44:24 PM by nadra24 »

Offline McG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »
Homemade rolls are where it's at! My siblings and I decided that they are the most important part of thanksgiving dinner. Followed closely by pomegranate salad, chocolate dream pie, and mashed potatoes. Turkey is only important for sandwiches.

With all that said, I think kenyan and I are skipping actual thanksgiving in favor of a mashed potato bar at home alone. Friday we will get together with my aunts and uncles for Pie Meal, which is pizza, turkey pot pie or soup, and like ten different kinds of pie.

This is all kinds of awesome.
McG has the perfect comedic touch: reserved only for just the right moments. - tazawa

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 12:52:45 AM »
Pie Meal, which is pizza, turkey pot pie or soup, and like ten different kinds of pie.

:baby:

Offline Noley

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 12:54:51 AM »
I like all stuffing with a lot of gravy.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 01:29:02 AM »
I can't eat bread, so I'm always on the lookout for alternatives.  Chickpea stuffing sounds pretty good. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2016, 04:18:41 AM »
No chickpeas in dressing!
We don't eat stuffing, we eat dressing. And since I'm from the south it has to be cornbread dressing. Do people actually stuff the turkey with the stuffing? I couldn't eat anything that was cooked in a bird cavity.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2016, 06:12:26 AM »
Yeah. I gotta go with a basic wheat, because yum. But also nice ciabatta to jazz it up and add some crunch.... hmmm.

Dark rye should get some love.   :)

I am a fan of Thanksgiving as well.  Grew up with tons of great Southern cooks in the family.  We didn't eat commercially canned anything.

People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2016, 06:14:49 AM »
No chickpeas in dressing!
We don't eat stuffing, we eat dressing. And since I'm from the south it has to be cornbread dressing. Do people actually stuff the turkey with the stuffing? I couldn't eat anything that was cooked in a bird cavity.

Not a fan of bird stuffing either... One food should not dictate the cooking time of another.  You have to dry the bird to dust to get the stuffing cooked.   

And hell yes on the CB dressing. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2016, 06:31:11 AM »
Dark rye should get some love.   :)

I am a fan of Thanksgiving as well.  Grew up with tons of great Southern cooks in the family.  We didn't eat commercially canned anything.

Last year we had a family member and her family come eat with us. I always make homemade cranberry sauce. She wouldn't eat it. She said she's so used to the canned kind that that's all she likes. I asked her what if I make it in the shape of a tin can. :D
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2016, 06:42:58 AM »
Last year we had a family member and her family come eat with us. I always make homemade cranberry sauce. She wouldn't eat it. She said she's so used to the canned kind that that's all she likes. I asked her what if I make it in the shape of a tin can. :D

:D

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2016, 07:56:00 AM »
I always call it stuffing, but I never actually stuff it.

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2016, 10:51:41 AM »
I call it stuffing too ...but I don't stuff the bird with it.  I usually stuff the turkey cavity with cut onions and oranges, which get discarded. The stuffing goes into a casserole dish.

I used to pack down the stuffing in the dish, but I have found that if I add it loosely then it doesn't get soggy and there are lots of browned crunchy bits ...which we love.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2016, 04:54:54 PM »
i cannot endorse this.

Not at all appealing

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2016, 04:58:35 PM »

Not at all appealing
How do you wanna lose weight if you're gorging yourself like a foie-gras goose on carby bread-based stuffing?! >:(

:D

I'll eat the bready stuffing for you, if you do my ironing for me! I bet my husband would invite you to watch football and drink beer, too! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2016, 05:22:33 PM »
I always call it stuffing, but I never actually stuff it.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2016, 08:18:27 AM »
I don't know how you all have room in your oven to do stuffing outside of the bird.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2016, 08:23:37 AM »
Why do you hate the food forum so much?  :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2016, 09:50:48 AM »
Stuffing belongs inside the turkey!  I think the chickpea one sounds good. 
Because PANTS

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2016, 09:57:15 AM »
Chickpeas are to stuffing as nuts are to brownies. In other words, there is no place for either in their respective dishes. :P

And you can pry my sweet potato marshmallow casserole out of my cold, dead hands. If I'm actually dead, you can also pry any remaining contents of that stuff out of my stomach too, depending on time of death after ingestion. But that would just be mean.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2016, 09:59:53 AM »
Bonita, how was the party?  I'm sorry I couldn't make it.

Chickpeas in stuffing sounds interesting but I'd prefer garbanzo beans.   ;)   We do stuffing with chestnuts and onions, some in the bird, some out.  That way we have wet stuffing for the meat eaters and dry stuffing for the vegetergenarians.

+-SUPPORT US