Author Topic: Stock - aka bone broth  (Read 7838 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Stock - aka bone broth
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:44:14 AM »
So apparently this "bone broth" is trendy now?  I was googling to see if you could make stock from pork bones (I've only ever used beef and poultry) and this "bone broth" kept coming up as if it was this new invention that will cure all that ails you.  I finally found a blog post that acknowledged it is BS, and it is just stock, the same as people have been making for a bazillion years.

Anyway, you can indeed make stock from pork bones.  I'm curious what you guys use for your stocks.  I just throw the bones in with veggie chunks (roast them first if they haven't been precooked) and simmer them for however many hours I have (all day/night, ususally). 

Do you ever go to the market and just get soup bones?  We're having trouble sourcing local meat this year (rule changes to abbatoirs means poultry is really hard to come by and the price of beef means our normal supplier didn't put any in the barn this year :( )  I need some beef bones.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Re: Stock - aka bone broth
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 10:48:07 AM »
I used to keep a container in the freezer for veggie scraps and I'd throw those in whenever I was making broth.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:31:30 PM »
i roast chicken/turkey/duck/whatever for supper, and then annihilate the carcass, finding all the good bites to put in sandwiches, etc.

then i roast veggies. 

the veggies and the skeleton(s) go into a stock pot with water, peppercorns, and bouquet garni, and i cook the shit out of 'em.

my mother sometimes buys soup bones, but i never have.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »
I love roasted veg so much I would have a had time throwing them on stock. I also have bought soup bones mostly because the dogs love them.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 07:50:29 PM »
I have only made beef stock once and that was in my culinary arts course in college, so I just used what was provided. We did toast the bones first. I usually just make chicken stock with the carcass from a rotisserie chicken or else with a who,e chicken if I'm making chicken noodle soup.  I don't like the flavor with anything in it besides carrot and celery, perhaps because that's how my mom made it and it doesn't taste right with onions, garlic, or anything else in it.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
I know you aren't technically supposed to season stock, but I always put a bay leaf or two in plus a few peppercorns anyway... an onion or a couple of shallots (cut in half but skin left on), a carrot or two, a celery stalk or two... then whatever other veg scraps I have in the freezer (aspargus ends and mushroom stems are common).  I usually use carcass bones or the bones from a roast... we spatchcock chicken quite often so I will add back and wing tips to turkey or chicken carcass stock.

I can buy a big bag of soup bones (beef) from the local butcher for $5, but I don't have a lot of uses for beef stock, so I rarely make it.  I use poultry stock most often, but also use pork stock a lot. 

and I agree that bone broth is one of the strangest re-brandings I have ever seen... 

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:23 AM »

and I agree that bone broth is one of the strangest re-brandings I have ever seen... 

1.  I see health blogs calling it "bone tea" also  :D
Because PANTS

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »

yes.  obviously 'stock' is not sexy.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2015, 12:50:26 PM »
1.  I see health blogs calling it "bone tea" also  :D

ha! 

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 01:47:12 PM »
yes.  obviously 'stock' is not sexy.
I think part of it also is meant to encourage people to make their own vs. buy it in a carton. Or at least if they have to buy it, buy a $5 pint of it... the point being to consume it while it is as fresh as possible. Also, I think "broth" connotes a standalone food whereas stock seems like more of an "ingredient". But, that's just my probably stupid thought process.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 04:04:35 PM »
I think part of it also is meant to encourage people to make their own vs. buy it in a carton. Or at least if they have to buy it, buy a $5 pint of it... the point being to consume it while it is as fresh as possible. Also, I think "broth" connotes a standalone food whereas stock seems like more of an "ingredient". But, that's just my probably stupid thought process.

Well stock and broth, technically are different.  Stock is less refined than broth. 

i don't make my own stock or broth.  I have tried a few times wtih little success. it never seems to have enough taste. That being said, my grandma uses ham bones to make split pea soup (that big bone from the ham..don't know the actual term..ham hock?) 

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 07:20:07 AM »
Why no use for beef stock/broth/tea cgrl?  I find I don't really discriminate... if a recipe calls for stock, I'll use whatever I have in the freezer.  Now all I have is pork.  Granted, I haven't used it yet and it was my first time making it, but it tasted delicious.

I don't put full veggies in, just the ends and peelings.  Onion skins, anything that would otherwise be composted, really.

I'm going to suss out some beef bones when I go back to work on Tuesday.  I work right above the market in London with local produce and meat right there.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2015, 10:05:03 PM »
Beef broth is the perfect base for French Onion Soup, no?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »
Beef broth is the perfect base for French Onion Soup, no?

Yes.

I am lazy, I buy the "better than bouillon jars most of the time and use it sparingly, due to salt content.  I really have no time (and space) to work on broth.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 10:18:43 AM »
I find beef broth strongly flavoured so I only use it in beef dishes and use chicken for everything else.  Of course if you are just drinking it straight beef is fine  :)
Because PANTS

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2015, 04:15:45 AM »
I find beef broth strongly flavoured so I only use it in beef dishes and use chicken for everything else.  Of course if you are just drinking it straight beef is fine  :)

(and moose dishes)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »
Funnily... I made my latest batch of tomato soup just now with the beef broth I made the other day.  You guys are right - I can taste it.  The soup is still fucking amazing, but I'll stick to poultry stock for this soup from now on.  I think potato soup will be awesome with the beef broth though. 

I am soup obsessed.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2015, 03:40:21 PM »
Funnily... I made my latest batch of tomato soup just now with the beef broth I made the other day.  You guys are right - I can taste it.  The soup is still fucking amazing, but I'll stick to poultry stock for this soup from now on.  I think potato soup will be awesome with the beef broth though. 

I am soup obsessed.

I like it for non-creamy mushroom soup too.

+-SUPPORT US