Author Topic: Hook Mountain Half race report  (Read 3907 times)

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
Hook Mountain Half race report
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:01:27 AM »
I’ve ran the Hook Mt Half once before. It’s a scenic and challenging course around Rockland Lake, through some rolling hills, a plunge down the Palisades cliffs, a dash along the Hudson River which includes a short but evil climb up to some parking lot and then back up the Hudson knowing that damn cliff ascent is waiting for you. My time two years ago was 2:15, ran it on a lark. However, this year I meant it to be a goal race. I’ve been racking up the training miles, joined a running group, added some biking and ran the Sleepy Hollow Half last month as a tune-up race (2:11 finish). I was ready and felt strong.

The usual crowd at the start, there’s a 5k run as well. Things clear out about a mile into the run around the lake and then lots of elbow room once the half marathon racers peel away from the 5k racers. Feeling out pace by now, gauging how I feel and making slight adjustments. Feeling very analytical – almost business like. We enter into an initial ascent, nothing particularly challenging but for sure trying to push myself. “Kill it!” I think. What? Who says that? I do. “Kill it”. Up I charge. Then the fun part, the plunge down to the river. Don’t go too fast, let gravity help, don’t trash those quads, race smart. We hit the flats along the river. Still feeling like I am hitting on all cylinders. Looking ahead at the people in my general pack who I’m going to pick off. Yeah, it was that kind of a day. Dash down the river, a couple of people pass me, I remain patient – business like – kill it. Up to that parking lot at the turn around and then back down. I am catching up to the pack leaders. I overtake people who passed me, then they overtake me again, but only for a short while.

The ascent back up the Palisades cliffs. Nice short steps, keep the turnover high – just like riding your bike up a steep hill- kill it. People begin walking, I keep running. Kill it. Muttering f-bombs and “kill it” to myself now pretty much constantly. Did it, got to the top.

3 more miles to go, but they are flat. Regroup, focus, all business. Kill it. Nice even pace, no big fade. Got overtaken again, but not for long. Relentless. Last 50 yards, I am being overtaken. No, not today – we dash to the finish line, I think we cross at the same time. I walk over and shake his hand, thanking him for the fun finish.

2:04 – goal achieved. Felt like a million bucks.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 10:09:03 AM by JohnCort »
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: Hook Mountain Half race report
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 05:20:24 PM »
Way to kill it John.    :axe:

Awesome time improvement.  :)
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline Miss

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 09:23:07 AM »
Way to kill it John.    :axe:

Awesome time improvement.  :)

Right!   :) :) :)
"carpe fucking diem"

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 10:15:25 AM »
That's near where my dad grew up and I remember hiking there as a teen.

Congrats on the course PR, sounds like a tough route.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 04:35:55 PM »
That's near where my dad grew up and I remember hiking there as a teen.

Congrats on the course PR, sounds like a tough route.

Cool! Nice area and park.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

+-SUPPORT US