Author Topic: Treadmill - 2.25 horsepower motor big enough for running?  (Read 5556 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Treadmill - 2.25 horsepower motor big enough for running?
« on: December 21, 2014, 09:21:52 AM »
My DH is researching, we've found some with good reviews, but I can picture a salesperson telling us it's good for running and not having a clue if it is or not (not a treadmill specific store).

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
Re: Treadmill - 2.25 horsepower motor big enough for running?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 01:21:11 PM »
My occassional use treadmill has a 2.0 HP motor and haven't given me any trouble or felt strained.  I don't really push it too much in terms of speed, time (usually 45-60min max) or elevation.  I prefer to do my hard workouts outside and the treadmill is just to get a light  workout in when weather is lousy outside..  The more HP the generally quieter it will be.  I read that a 2.5 HP treadmill is a good choice for average weight runners, but I remember the treadmill salesman mentioning anything more than 2.0 HP is a waste since household current is already at capacity.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:20:43 AM by Fast Eddie »
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:07 PM »
hmmm... interesting about house hold current!   we ended up getting a 3. 5.   hope we don't blow all the breakers! :D

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:15:25 PM »
hmmm... interesting about house hold current!   we ended up getting a 3. 5.   hope we don't blow all the breakers! :D

A little late, since you already bought one but back in the day, I bought a treadmill that was pulling 25 amp and plugged it into a 15 amp outlet.  While I was on the treadmill, the light in the room was pretty dim and the treadmill usually stalled.  We had an electrician install a 30 amp outlet.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »

We had our 3.5 in a 1926 bungalow with no problem.  We did have our electrician give it its own breaker, though.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 09:39:25 AM »
so now we have no fucking idea how to get it up the stairs to the spare room :D  and the worst part is it will have to come back down in 6 months when the summer kitchen is renovated.   :-\

+-SUPPORT US