Author Topic: Dressing recipe?  (Read 5819 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Dressing recipe?
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »
Can y'all post your dressing recipes? I make a basic cornbread dressing with onions and celery and sage. I like it but I want to make a really good dressing. I'll go ahead and make it a few times so I can tweak whatever needs to be tweaked for next thanksgiving I'll know that I have a good recipe.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 12:36:14 PM by moroccangirl »
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
Re: Dressing recipe?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 01:22:09 PM »
I use stove top stuffing from a box. I mash a can of yams and mix the cooked stuffing and voila! Perfect stuffing!
I used to be fancy and shit using real stale bread, sausage mushrooms, celery, onions, and homemade stock. It's never that much butter than the boxed kind because the seasoning in the boxed type is much better than I could ever make. I generally do not like stale bread anyway. They get mushy (versus soggy). But the boxed type are dry and never turn mushy.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 11:37:52 AM »
Can y'all post your dressing recipes? I make a basic cornbread dressing with onions and celery and sage. I like it but I want to make a really good dressing. I'll go ahead and make it a few times so I can tweak whatever needs to be tweaked for next thanksgiving I'll know that I have a good recipe.

I do something similar but add seasoned bread cubes.  And lots of stock.  And I sautee the onions and celery in butter until they are soft.  I love, love, love it.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 11:54:07 AM »
For some reason this one doesn't get great reviews but I personally love it and get tons of compliments on it whenever I make it. I really like to use good, crusty, bread. I cube it and then dry it in the oven. (or leave it a few days to get stale)

http://www.marthastewart.com/337620/classic-stuffing

(I usually make it without the nuts & fruit, and parsley)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:04:05 PM by Run Amok »

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 11:56:18 AM »
I admit that I make mine up as I go along: bread crumbs and/or cubes, herbs, salt, pepper, seeds and/or nuts or not, dried and/or fresh fruit or not...

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:39:23 PM »
i bake a loaf of white sandwich bread and cut it into cubes, then set them aside in a large mixing bowl.
in a chef's pan, i saute some onion and garlic in olive oil.  i then add ground turkey and cook through.  then dump that into another bowl. 
then, i saute two sliced leeks, and two pounds of assorted mushrooms in some olive oil. 
after seasoning that with rosemary, thyme, marjoram, and pepper, i add it to the turkey mix, and then add all of that mess to the bread cubes.
i usually add about a cup of chicken broth to moisten.

everything goes into a buttered baking dish, which gets covered with foil for the majority of baking (i take the foil off about 15 minutes before it's finished cooking in order for it to crisp up).