Author Topic: How do I fix this?  (Read 4473 times)

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
How do I fix this?
« on: February 21, 2016, 12:23:43 PM »
So I've been back running for a few months.  Since November.  My highest mileage weeks are 16 miles or so.  I can pretty much gear down and run happily for a decent amount of time.  I tested that one day and ran until I felt I needed to stop- 9 miles, my pace was around 10:30.

I'm doing these local 5k runs, and I feel like shit when I do it.  My legs rarely hurt when I push for speed, my lungs are ok, but I feel like my abdomen is going to explode.  It's a feeling I've always thought was my lactic acid threshold. Is it?

I'm assuming that if I simply push into that zone more often it will get better and I'll get faster and more capable.  Hills.  I'm also wondering if I were to stress my legs more and get them stronger it will help.  But even when I do speedwork by doing intervals, they never get sore.

I've tried modifying diet, etc., thinking that might be the problem, but I really think it's just this... threshold.

Suggestions?

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: How do I fix this?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 02:29:33 PM »
What is your current 5K time?  Do you have splits for each mile?  In your 5Ks, when do other runners start passing you?  What are your fast workouts like?
It is probably more important to make sure your training is suited for running/racing 5Ks. 

Offline CheryG

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 02:50:20 PM »
I think today it was 29:35.  I'm not sure that the timing was really accurate, these are pretty laid back races.  I forgot to double check my watch, I was pushing at the end and did NOT feel well.  I expected at least a 28 and was surprised to see the 29.  Not that it makes much of a difference. My splits were pretty even, very very small pack and everyone held even splits.  I think I've run 5ks in under 24 minutes even when not training for 5ks, but it's been a few years.

But, I typically do a lot more hill running- summit race stuff and so maybe that transfers over.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 03:13:21 PM »
My splits were pretty even,

So, you didn't start too quickly and pay the price later.  In the past, I've had problems with my stomach hurting when I hadn't raced in a while.  It disappeared after a few races.  This would happen even, "back in the day", when I was running fast times.  But, I didn't do a lot of really fast track workouts.  My workouts were all controlled with the fastest rep, the last one.  But, not killing myself with gut wrenching track workouts may be why I am still running at 74.

siamesedream

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »
The 5k is 80 percent aerobic, so you might want to increase your overall miles per week to 25 or 30. You should see a a big gain by going from 16 mpw to 25 mpw.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »
The 5k is 80 percent aerobic, so you might want to increase your overall miles per week to 25 or 30. You should see a a big gain by going from 16 mpw to 25 mpw.

That sounds more fun than more and harder tempo runs.

More MPW is in the plan anyway, but so hard to motivate this time of the year. I'm finding it hard to log more miles and ride the horses at this time of the year.  Maybe more mental than anything else, but somehow easier to do at 70F than 10F.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 03:29:49 PM »

But, not killing myself with gut wrenching track workouts may be why I am still running at 74.

Probably! :)

siamesedream

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2016, 03:31:16 PM »
That sounds more fun than more and harder tempo runs.

More MPW is in the plan anyway, but so hard to motivate this time of the year. I'm finding it hard to log more miles and ride the horses at this time of the year.  Maybe more mental than anything else, but somehow easier to do at 70F than 10F.

Yes!

Wait until spring.

+-SUPPORT US