Author Topic: Shoes with wide toe box (but not wide everywhere)  (Read 4821 times)

Offline Lintu

• Passed on to another Brane
Shoes with wide toe box (but not wide everywhere)
« on: September 28, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »
Anyone have anything that fits the bill?  Bonus points for affordability, as I'm not sure even this will solve my Morton's Neuroma issue and I don't want to go crazy trying things.
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Re: Shoes with wide toe box (but not wide everywhere)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:52:42 AM »
Anyone have anything that fits the bill?  Bonus points for affordability, as I'm not sure even this will solve my Morton's Neuroma issue and I don't want to go crazy trying things.

DH had a similar issue and found that altra made shoes that worked for him.  I have a hoka that is fairly wide, and I had to use a different lacing method to keep them comfortably around my ankle, without feeling that it was coming off.  You could also just use 3/4 insoles in a regular running shoe and create more space in the front of the shoe that way.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:50:36 AM »
Hokas do tend to be wide, and the super duper cushion may help relieve a neuroma.

Asics tend to have narrower heels. 

But you're going to have to try a bunch of different things on.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:15:19 AM »
I wear Brooks Glycerin and I have a wide forefoot. They are a bit pricey though.

To add, the latest and greatest are out and I don't love the new upper. I just got them yesterday and need to try them on again in another day or two when my feet are no longer sore from my race.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
I thought Brooks Ghosts had a wide toe box. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »
Altras.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Lintu

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 03:53:15 PM »
Thanks, everyone!
"Girl. You are fine. You do not take instructions from a nun at a T stop." - Caito

Offline Lintu

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 07:39:56 PM »
I found some discounted Altras and they seem good except that they are so loose at the ankle!  I may need to look into some different lacing methods, but so far they feel much roomier and supportive.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 09:03:12 PM »
Do they have a second hole at the top? I have big narrow feet and have to wear Men's shoes and since my feet are so narrow, I can only wear shoes with the second hole. I think the last Hokas I tried on did NOT have a second hole and that was a deal breaker for me.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Lintu

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 09:41:13 PM »
Yup, they do

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 07:27:34 AM »
I found some discounted Altras and they seem good except that they are so loose at the ankle!  I may need to look into some different lacing methods, but so far they feel much roomier and supportive.

There is a special method for this problem.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/11/extra-shoelace-holes-lace-heel-lock-video_n_7254758.html

Offline Lintu

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
Thank you!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 10:11:11 PM »
I wear Brooks Glycerin and I have a wide forefoot. They are a bit pricey though.

Same here.  Wide forefoot, high arch, wear Glycerins and love them but haven't bought the latest yet.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »
Same here.  Wide forefoot, high arch, wear Glycerins and love them but haven't bought the latest yet.

I am currently running in the Glycerin and find that they wear out faster than other shoes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 01:56:30 PM »
I found my Brooks only lasted 300 miles, MAX! Hokas lasted at least 600. The Skechers are around 300-400 but are CHEAP.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 02:36:17 PM »
I get new sneakers every 3-4 months (Brooks Glycerins). I broke out the new ones last night. I was just doing some reading about PF since that seems to be the latest suggestion for my foot pain and one article suggested that it could be related to the sneaker design and the drop being changed slightly. I've just been stuck with all kinds of foot problems for a while now. I finally got a handle on my Achilles problems and now this. I am pretty sure the left foot was likely compensating for the pain in the right heel, but geesh. It's never ending. I am hoping the new sneakers will help a little anyway.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 08:01:39 PM »
I get new sneakers every 3-4 months (Brooks Glycerins). I broke out the new ones last night. I was just doing some reading about PF since that seems to be the latest suggestion for my foot pain and one article suggested that it could be related to the sneaker design and the drop being changed slightly. I've just been stuck with all kinds of foot problems for a while now. I finally got a handle on my Achilles problems and now this. I am pretty sure the left foot was likely compensating for the pain in the right heel, but geesh. It's never ending. I am hoping the new sneakers will help a little anyway.

I place insoles by superfeet in all my running shoes.  I swear they help with PF.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 11:10:07 PM »
Saucony.

+-SUPPORT US