Author Topic: New Running Shoes  (Read 5147 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
New Running Shoes
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:11:52 PM »
I haven't been able to fit in anybody's toe box except New Balance for years without going to a wide (which doesn't work for my 4A or 5A heel), so I just go to the New Balance store anymore.   Going to either of the local running stores just results in hours lost and frustration for both me and the people working there, so...

Anyway, I tend to go back and forth between stability and motion control shoes.  (High arches AND pronation - go figure). My past orthopedist and orthotist want me in motion control (and probably so does my right knee), but fit always wins.  My last shoes were NB1012.  My most recent pair are still in decent shape, but the old ones I wear for hashing are completely smooth on the bottom leaving me at risk of busting ass.  So...

New ones are NB 1260V4.  OMG they are SO MUCH LIGHTER than my old shoes.  And squishy.  I'm also trying a new insert that has a firmer metatarsal support.  Will probably alternate with my old inserts.  I'm mostly walking and only a little running right (like, I'm only up to a mile).  But I'm excited about these shoes.  I'm NEVER excited about running shoes.   :fingers:

I also bought some NB hiking boots.  Not quite as excited about those.  I ordered a wide, which means they slip a bit in the heel if I don't lace tightly enough, but I needed the room in the toebox.  And while they ARE mids, I'd prefer they were 1/2 inch higher; they're low for mids.  But they fit better than anything else so far.  And they accommodate decent insoles. I'll probably keep looking as soon as I get the opportunity to get to Nashville for an REI or something.  I hate to have an expensive pair of not perfect boots, but I HAVE to have hiking boots and my old ones really are shot and the rubber has split (probably from the pressure of having always been a tad narrow).
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

siamesedream

Re: New Running Shoes
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:30:49 PM »
My first pair of shoes(way back in 1992) were Nike Air Pegasus. I've worn NB since the mid 90s. Slight pronation, normal arch.

Current model: NB 770 V4. 

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »
I ran in NB for a lot of years, but my current love is the Hoka One One brand.  Never ran in a better shoe and I've pretty much tried them all.  File that option away for the next time you are in the market. 

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 12:27:58 AM »
I ran in NB for a lot of years, but my current love is the Hoka One One brand.  Never ran in a better shoe and I've pretty much tried them all.  File that option away for the next time you are in the market. 

Everybody I know who is close to needing a knee replacement loves those!

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 10:15:02 PM »
Really? That's an endorsement. I have gone out of shape, resolution, blah, blah, so I went to the store today. Lo and behold, they had Hokas. I went with my trusty Asics 2010-type, but I was told that there is more cushion and a change in support. They are also sparklier. Now I'm not sure why I am biased against Hokas. Anyway, I ran (treadmill) for the first time in several weeks and was glad I purchased new shoes.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 01:27:47 AM »
I can undstand the bias against hoka.  I have a mild case of that, too.  My recent love is brooks ghost, in both the gore tex version and regular version. If i find a good sale deal on hoka, i might try them, but i am not paying full price eve for those.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
Well between getting something that fits and the $50 insoles, I'm already at about $200 for a pair of shoes.  I think the price of the Hokas is similar to the NB I got. 

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
I am 98 miles into a new pair of Hoka 1:1 Cliftons. This is one sweet ride.

I had been running in ASIC Keyanos for years. My feet were feeling beat up and I wanted to try something new.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award