Author Topic: Fitbit: Work Out like a ...  (Read 12273 times)

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher : Team DSN
Fitbit: Work Out like a ...
« on: December 09, 2014, 11:36:52 AM »
In this series of five posts, normal people with naturally active lifestyles will inject a fitness boost into their routines using the Fitbit, complete with exercises anyone can use to make every day a workout. To keep up, start here for the basics, then check back here in the coming weeks as more people and their custom, gym-free workouts are added.

Part One: Florist

Part Two: DJ

Fitbit "Find Your Fit"

For the record, I don't have one; not yet, anyway
I left the only woman I ever loved in a strip club in Cleveland. She was a damn good dancer, but she wasn't all that great of a girlfriend

Offline MoCo

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • la la la
Re: Fitbit: Work Out like a ...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:10 AM »
I have one.  Workplace's wellness program had a major discount available (less than half price on the flex).  It's nice because it really does show how active you are outside your workouts, and it's been a great help in improving my sleep.

The flex at least doesn't pick up biking...  I spent two hours turning myself inside out at bike class on Saturday, and didn't meet my step goal for the day.  :)  I'm tempted to put it on my bike shoe for class and see how that goes.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 12:40:02 PM »
I'll probably get the clip-on kind, as recommended by someone I work with who uses that model

I'd like to see how that performs clipped onto a cycling shoe/sock?

We're tied into the Virgin Pulse program here; linked with Aetna. We got these cheap pedometers to start with, but can upgrade from there. I got 31K steps somehow during our 45-mile MS ride last Fall, just by keeping it in the front pocket of my baggy cycling shorts

YMMV
I left the only woman I ever loved in a strip club in Cleveland. She was a damn good dancer, but she wasn't all that great of a girlfriend

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:18:07 PM »
Part Three: Walking Tour Guide

I missed this dude, somehow?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:14:41 PM by Uncle Fred »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2014, 06:53:33 AM »
I'll probably get the clip-on kind, as recommended by someone I work with who uses that model

I'd like to see how that performs clipped onto a cycling shoe/sock?

We're tied into the Virgin Pulse program here; linked with Aetna. We got these cheap pedometers to start with, but can upgrade from there. I got 31K steps somehow during our 45-mile MS ride last Fall, just by keeping it in the front pocket of my baggy cycling shorts

YMMV

I have the clip on zip, but have never cycled with it. I prefer the zip because I do not want the world to know that I am counting steps. I also do not care for things on my arm.
My experience in cycling, from my triathlon days, is that 31,000 steps are not the equivalent of a 31,000 step walk/run event.  It is far easier to cycle that distance than it is covering 31,000 steps on foot.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:41:25 AM »
The device that I'm using now says 2000 steps walking = 1 mile; but when I run, it's only about 1500 per [longer strides]

From the results above, looks like FitBit is tracks you at about 2200/per mile

YMMV

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 10:01:33 AM »
How are these people getting so many very active minutes?  I can only get those when I'm jogging.  Even three sets (2 hrs+) of tennis will only earn me 15-20 very active minutes.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 08:20:38 PM »
On occasion, I've gotten Active Minutes when rushing through the Supermarket, but it's not sustainable

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 07:11:04 AM »
I have only had mine for a few days. Some women on a local moms group said pushing stroller does not register at all because their hands are stationary on the stroller. Interesting.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 09:22:14 AM »
How are these people getting so many very active minutes?  I can only get those when I'm jogging.  Even three sets (2 hrs+) of tennis will only earn me 15-20 very active minutes.

There are some differences among the various models as to how active minutes are calculated, so that might be part of it.  I wear the Flex and it registers a goodly number of "very active minutes" when I walk vigorously and continuously.  The continuous part is important because the fitbit algorithm only counts minutes as active when you string together at least ten of them.  That's probably why the intensity of tennis is underrated.  Too much stop and go. 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 05:08:18 PM »
Got my Fitbit Zip today [black on black, naturally]

I had already run this morning and D'Wife to a pass on the gym this afternoon [since she was working and D'Kid needed to be dropped off at a friends], so its first REAL workout will be tomorrow sometime

I'll keep you posted

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 08:43:03 AM »
There are some differences among the various models as to how active minutes are calculated, so that might be part of it.  I wear the Flex and it registers a goodly number of "very active minutes" when I walk vigorously and continuously.  The continuous part is important because the fitbit algorithm only counts minutes as active when you string together at least ten of them.

I dunno ... I had 3 active minutes on Saturday, but I don't remember doing anything particularly "vigorous"

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 10:23:50 AM »
I dunno ... I had 3 active minutes on Saturday, but I don't remember doing anything particularly "vigorous"

Yeah, "vigorous" isn't a very precise word.  For fitbit purposes, "active minutes" involve activities ≥ 3 METs with anything ≥ 6 METs counting as "very active minutes." 

Offline cindyleigh

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 11:09:16 AM »
Yeah, "vigorous" isn't a very precise word.  For fitbit purposes, "active minutes" involve activities ≥ 3 METs with anything ≥ 6 METs counting as "very active minutes." 

yeah, I'm pretty much discarding them now as a useful metric.  I can go on a 2 hour walk and earn 30+ very active minutes ...and barely break a sweat.....or play a 2 hour tennis match and earn only 8 ...and be pooped!

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2015, 02:12:45 PM »
Part Four: Chef [ok, technically, sous chef]

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
A friend of mine has one, and apparently he wears it when he sleeps.  And every morning it posts to his FB something like "I only slept 2h 28m! Do not approach until coffee has been consumed! via Fitbit."  I take it the Fitbit does not think he sleeps restfully.
If in your estimation there is a greater than 0% chance that I will later decide that I shouldn't have said that, please do not quote me.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2015, 08:29:48 AM »
There are some differences among the various models as to how active minutes are calculated, so that might be part of it.  I wear the Flex and it registers a goodly number of "very active minutes" when I walk vigorously and continuously.  The continuous part is important because the fitbit algorithm only counts minutes as active when you string together at least ten of them. 

Got this email overnite from the Fitbit folks

We’ve made some changes to your active minutes!

We’ve made some improvements to active minutes that are changing how we calculate that stat and how you see it on your Fitbit dashboard.

One of the main changes we made was to only count active minutes when you do an activity for 10 minutes or more, because that’s the guideline suggested by organizations like the American Heart Association.

This 10-minute rule means that walking to refill your coffee might get you ahead in a step challenge, but it will no longer count toward your active minutes. It also means that from now on, your active minutes may sometimes appear lower than what you’re used to.

The other change you’ll see is that active minutes are now a sum of both your moderate and very active minutes, instead of just your very active minutes. This change will affect both your new active minutes and your historical data, and will give you more credit for exercises like brisk walks.

Remember, Fitbit automatically sets your goal at 30 active minutes a day, but if that goal feels too big or too small, you can change it on your dashboard or in the Fitbit app under Account > Goals.

For more information, click here.

Happy stepping,
The Fitbit Team

Offline redkitty

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
I am probably buying a FitBit in the next few days...do you guys feel that you still use it? it still motivates you? This is my biggest reason as to why i have been holding off. I used to use a pedometer. That was fine for about a month...after that it did not motivate me anymore.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
I am probably buying a FitBit in the next few days...do you guys feel that you still use it? it still motivates you? This is my biggest reason as to why i have been holding off. I used to use a pedometer. That was fine for about a month...after that it did not motivate me anymore.
I do enjoy it. I have taken a break from logging my foods because i am pretty much eating the same thing every day.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 03:08:49 PM »
Got this email overnite from the Fitbit folks

I saw that.  Looks like they are finally getting around to making their gadgets do what they said they were already doing with respect to active minutes :)  I don't care one way or the other because I don't really pay much attention to the active minutes metric.