Author Topic: Minor peeve  (Read 6325 times)

Offline Yogi

• Passed on to another Brane
Minor peeve
« on: September 30, 2014, 11:45:35 AM »
I figure you guys can relate :)

I am not a professional photographer and I'm not a portrait photographer but some of my extended family members have asked me in recent years/months to do some of their family shots - Christmas cards, six-month family shoot with baby, just a general 'nice' picture of everyone together, etc. And it's fine - I feel some pressure but I think I do a nice job even though portraits are not my forte.

But there are never any thanks. I work hard to get these photos processed and distributed within 48 hours of shooting. The past two times I have not gotten any reply to my email, not a thanks! or any acknowledgment that the photos were even received. And then - the pictures show up on FB with absolutely no attribution even after a bunch of people comment on how nice the photo is.

So twice now I've commented on the photo with something like, "That was such a fun day!" and then I get a reply comment like, "Thanks to Yogi for taking the shot!" - but I have to say it slightly hurts my feelings when I don't get any thanks or attribution for my work until I bring it up.

I don't know. I'm not trying to be passive aggressive about it but this is the third time this scenario has played out (involving three separate family units) and I just don't know how to express that I would like at least an acknowledgement if the photos are going to be posted publicly.

Thoughts? Am I being crazy? How do you guys handle this? I would feel more strongly if I were trying to promote a business, which I'm not; I guess I would just like some basic manners.

Offline fancypants

• The Runners
    • Unanswered Flurry
Re: Minor peeve
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »
I'd be a lot more pissed than you are. Bare minimum, you deserve a heartfelt thank you note and public credit where photos are posted.
I don't have time for laundry; I'm trying to have a great life.

http://herheiness.wordpress.com/

Offline Yogi

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 12:21:22 PM »
I'd be a lot more pissed than you are. Bare minimum, you deserve a heartfelt thank you note and public credit where photos are posted.

Wow, I would be floored if I got an actual thank you note. Clearly I should raise my standards!

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 01:12:54 PM »
It seems to be a common issue. 

I think, a: people are often crude and rude, and b: they really don't think you're actually doing much of anything. 

Kind of like somebody commenting on one of your photos with, "wow, you must have a nice camera!" 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Yogi

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

I think, a: people are often crude and rude, and b: they really don't think you're actually doing much of anything. 

Kind of like somebody commenting on one of your photos with, "wow, you must have a nice camera!" 

Oh yeah, I hate that one too!!!

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:25 PM »
Put a giant watermark on the portraits and only remove it when you receive the thanks.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 02:17:20 PM »

Ooohh, the "what kind of camera do you have" comment!!!!!

I have there girlfriends here. We all agreed to go to a nice area maybe every 6 months and take family pics of each other's families. None of us are professional, and i'm the only one with a DLSR. Two of them backed out but the sweetest one of the group wanted her pics done. I left the kids at home and went and did their family shots. I am not anywhere near professional and I don't call myself a photographer, but I do get "some" shots that are better than the average person taking a pic, so I knew i'd get one or two of them that they'd like. I ended up with tons of great pics for them and I got them to them pretty quickly. The thanks and appreciation they showed was overwhelming. I got a taste of what real photographers feel when the families love their pics. I would have been so upset if they didn't even say Thank you, so you are right to be upset.

AFTER my other two friends saw the pics, THEN they decided they wanted to do it too. Uh, no. You had your chance.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Mrtambourineman

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 04:14:06 PM »
I'd be pretty PO'ed if I went to that effort and didn't get any thanks.  Attribution would be nice, but I think the heartfelt thanks would be more important to me. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline Yogi

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 08:25:02 AM »
I'd be pretty PO'ed if I went to that effort and didn't get any thanks.  Attribution would be nice, but I think the heartfelt thanks would be more important to me. 

I agree. Thank you.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Onward through the fog...
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 11:35:47 PM »

Put a giant watermark on the portraits and only remove it when you receive the thanks.

Hah...good one!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 11:30:52 AM »

I agree as well.

The whole photography industry has really changed in recent years.  It's difficult to make money as a professional because everyone with a phone has a camera and a lot of people think that's good enough.  I'm not saying it isn't, just that what people want and are satisfied with is different from what the pros offer.  Also, a lot of the labs and album companies pros use have now opened their business to consumers and if you have the digital images, you can use their services.  The whole idea of professional photography is changing. So, when you ask your friend with a nice camera to take a photo of you, they think the better-than-their-phone photo is a result of the camera, not any level of skill or processing.  It is disappointing for sure.  Add to that, when you do work for friends or family at no charge, the recipients idea that the better-than-their-phone photos aren't much more valuable is reinforced.  But try to charge them so that they understand that your time and skill is worth something and all of sudden their phone photo are good enough.  :shrug:

I have no advice.  I haven't fully adjusted to the new photography world yet. ;)

+-SUPPORT US