Author Topic: Looking for REALLY EASY appetizer suggestions and recipes  (Read 9428 times)

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
Looking for REALLY EASY appetizer suggestions and recipes
« on: November 15, 2012, 06:27:23 PM »
I need to bring 2-3 appetizer type things to thanksgiving. I don't like labor intensive. Maybe even one or two that don't have to be cooked. I went someplace recently and they did something with dates and peanut butter that was delish so something like that would be good. This is for thanksgiving but I didn't put it in that thread because I wanted specific.
Thanks in advance.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Re: Looking for REALLY EASY appetizer suggestions and recipes
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
My MIL always raves about the appetizers that I bring, and I keep it really simple. I usually just roast a couple of heads of garlic and put them in a bowl, drizzle olive oil over them, serve with crusty bread (sometimes I grill the bread - brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with coarse salt), and some kind of cheese, and soprasetta. (Those little spreader things work great for scooping out the garlic and schmearing it on the bread.) If I am feeling fancy, I might also put out roasted red peppers or something. Maybe olives - I don't like them, but other people do.
This space for rent.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 06:35:19 PM »
Oh good idea I can get some of those at the store olives roasted peppers etc

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 06:38:37 PM »
I think it goes over well because it is not so much as to take away from the main event on a day like Thanksgiving, and it is easy to just pick and nibble on a little or this or that, in various combinations, whatever you like. Like your own variation on an antipasto, it can be anything, really. Plus, no cooking is always good when bringing something - I assume that the oven will be busy when I bring apps to a holiday dinner, so I always avoid anything that needs to be heated or cooked!
This space for rent.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
slices of baguette, toasted, spread with plain goat cheese, and sprinkled with herbes de provence.

everyone i know inhales them.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 07:02:56 PM »
slices of baguette, toasted, spread with plain goat cheese, and sprinkled with herbes de provence.

everyone i know inhales them.

Stupid question but what is herbs de provence?

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 07:19:28 PM »
it's a herb mix :  savory, fennel, basil, thyme, and lavender

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 08:16:54 PM »
Stupid question but what is herbs de provence?

Do you have a penzey's? I know they have it there.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
make sure you spread the cheese on the bread while the bread is still warm.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
I think I'm going to do stuffed celery as one. A few people are watching carbs and thanksgiving is so carb heavy. Maybe stuff with a cream cheese red pepper jelly combo for one and some other things. These are just for munching

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 07:47:59 AM »
spinach artichoke dip (hot), i even have a lowfat version somewhere if you want me to look it up.

cannot find the recipe but had this on pinterest

i did not use the onions, but made something like this for DD's bday

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Tomato-Onion-Phyllo-Pizza

http://family.go.com/food/recipe-779158-caprese-pasta-salad--t/

http://plumpestpeach.blogspot.com/2009/06/grilled-zucchini-rolls-with-goat-cheese.html

Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2012, 07:53:59 AM »
Yeah, spinach artichoke dip is great - because you can dip veggies or crackers in it!
This space for rent.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2012, 09:43:14 AM »
Really easy and seasonal ... wrap slices of prosciutto (or just really good very thin sliced ham) around slices of persimmon and serve on a platter.

If you want to look a little more fancy but still stick with easy, use puffed pastry and a mini muffin tin to make bite sized bri, cranberry chutney, melty bites.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »
Do you like dates? You can slit the date open and remove the pit, put some cream cheese inside and sprinkle with chopped pistachios (or any other nut). It's yummy but I'm not sure it counts as an appetizer since the dates are sweet.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »
I agree that antipasto platter is about the easiest thing you can do. Some sliced meats, sliced cheeses, olives, roasted peppers, bagguettes, peperoncinis, some fig jam- crackers, breads, etc. Not super cheap, but really easy.

Trader joes has great little prepared bites in their freezer section. It's kind of cheating, but they are really yummy and take about 10 minutes in the oven (which can be a premium at tg, so maybe not a great idea).

Oh, a block of cream cheese with either a small bottle of salsa, or a small bottle of a savory jam, plus wheat thins is always a big hit and easy and cheap

I also am a huge fan of a veggie tray, but make your own ranch dip with the stuff from the packet. Somehow,making it fresh makes it so much better! Or, you can do what I do and start with some greek yogurt and mix in your own herbs and spices. It's way cheaper to assemble your own veggie tray, of course, but a little more work.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2012, 12:13:25 PM »
Do you like dates? You can slit the date open and remove the pit, put some cream cheese inside and sprinkle with chopped pistachios (or any other nut). It's yummy but I'm not sure it counts as an appetizer since the dates are sweet.

i split dates and fill with blue cheese - perfect combo of sweet/tangy.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
olive oil pan-roasted almonds: heat olive oil in a skillet, add raw almonds, stir until almonds are toasted (golden brown) and remove immediately to prevent burning... I usually put a metal sieve over a pyrex bowl and dump the almonds in there... salt with some kind of fancy-schmancy gourmet coarse salt... let cool thoroughly, pack it up and haul it to your event

marinated olives: buy some good olives packed in oil (I love kalamata, but not everyone does, so I sometimes buy an olive mix); the day before your thing, put the olives in a glass bowl, squeeze a lemon over them, add some spices and/or herbs for flavour, mix, cover, and put them in the fridge until it's time to go... we usually do sliced garlic-peppercorns-fresh rosemary, though have been known to use basil or oregano or parsley or some combination of fresh herbs from the garden, I've also done them successfully with sliced garlic and a split fresh hot pepper

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
olive oil pan-roasted almonds: heat olive oil in a skillet, add raw almonds, stir until almonds are toasted (golden brown) and remove immediately to prevent burning... I usually put a metal sieve over a pyrex bowl and dump the almonds in there... salt with some kind of fancy-schmancy gourmet coarse salt... let cool thoroughly, pack it up and haul it to your event

marinated olives: buy some good olives packed in oil (I love kalamata, but not everyone does, so I sometimes buy an olive mix); the day before your thing, put the olives in a glass bowl, squeeze a lemon over them, add some spices and/or herbs for flavour, mix, cover, and put them in the fridge until it's time to go... we usually do sliced garlic-peppercorns-fresh rosemary, though have been known to use basil or oregano or parsley or some combination of fresh herbs from the garden, I've also done them successfully with sliced garlic and a split fresh hot pepper

I love both of these!!!
  I'm also making a date thing with a dab of peanut butter in the middle and then a pecan.. kinda desserty, but not rolling in sugar..

So.. I think I'll do the toasted almonds...
Dates
Stuffed celery... maybe with the cream cheese/red pepper jelly and some other stuffing like eg salad or something..

My daughter is bringing veggies and hummus....

and maybe some live type thing?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2012, 01:15:28 PM »
Live type thing? Like lobstahs?

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »
Live type thing? Like lobstahs?

Oh man.. not sure what I meant there.. I'm thinking like cheese and crackers or something....

But how do the others sound?

+-SUPPORT US