Author Topic: Talk to me about miso  (Read 3067 times)

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
Talk to me about miso
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »
I had my first bowl of miso soup today (autocorrect makes it misogynist!) I got it as a sample from the sushi guy. 

And loved it.  I know there are lots of types of miso paste, but don't know what makes one better than others or if there's not much difference between varieties .  Edumacate me, please.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Talk to me about miso
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »
Well, my suggestion is to just try some and find what you like. Be aware that miso soup in restuarants starts with "dashi" which is japanese sea stock . So, if you make it at home it probably won't taste the same and that is why. You can make your own dashi pretty easily if you can track down the konbu & bonito- easy to find here, I'm not sure that's the case everywhere.

Anyway- Bonito is fish so I always make my miso without it at home. I like the fuller flavored misos. Typically, the lighter the miso the lighter the flavor. You can also use it for a lot of other things like marinades and salad dressings.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:32:30 PM by Run Amok »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:14:26 PM »
Miso paste, i get the fermented brown rice miso. I start with a pot of water, bring it to a boil with some cut up veggies. I take some of the water and put it in a bowl and let the wakame (seaweed) soften in it. I add tofu and then take some more of the hot water and mix some of the miso in it and pour it into the pot. I usually add some shoyu to the pot as well. At the end, i cut up the wakame and put it in. yum.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »
RA, thanks for that bit about the dashi. I like miso soup at sushi places, but when I made it at home it was decidedly underwhelming. That explains it!
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

+-SUPPORT US