Author Topic: how to cook amaranth?  (Read 4820 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
how to cook amaranth?
« on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:56 PM »
I tried to cook amaranth today.  The recipe I have said to cook 1.5 cups of water to 1/2 cup of amaranth for 20 minutes.  that didn't work.  Kept it on for another 10 minutes and it still didn't seem done.  I googled how to cook it and I keep getting different ratios...2 parts water to 1 part amaranth  or 3 parts water to one part amaranth.  So has anyone here cooked it? If so, how? I am actually trying to make baby food, so I just need the seed cooked...so not cooked in anything. I will mix in fruit puree for her.  TIA.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: how to cook amaranth?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:32:13 PM »
One grain i have never cooked! Did you buy it in bulk? I used millet and quinoa for baby food and rice.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:47:18 PM »
well, what kind of result do you want?  if you want hot cereal, cook it 2:1, liquid to amaranth.  bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer until it's cooked to your liking. 

if you want to serve it as a side (like rice or couscous), try a ratio of 1:1.  bring it to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.  but keep an eye on it.  i've had it turn from uncooked to blech in no time.

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 05:58:20 PM »
well, what kind of result do you want?  if you want hot cereal, cook it 2:1, liquid to amaranth.  bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer until it's cooked to your liking. 

if you want to serve it as a side (like rice or couscous), try a ratio of 1:1.  bring it to a boil, then reduce and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.  but keep an eye on it.  i've had it turn from uncooked to blech in no time.

I think I want it like a hot cereal for now.  Should all of the water disappear, like rice?

Meri...I got it from the bulk bins, so I do not have a lot of it...but also do not have instructions.  I still have to buy some quinoa, which I think I should have started with first.  And if they have millet I will buy some of that, too. 

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 06:19:35 PM »
if you want it to have a consistency like hot cereal, no - don't cook it until it's dry like rice.  it should be wet, like oatmeal.

i found a photo online:

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 08:08:10 PM »
I like quinoa the best, it seems to me, to be the most nutritious. And for making baby cereals i would grind the dry brown rice in a spice grinder, then cook it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

+-SUPPORT US