Author Topic: Black Walnuts  (Read 12267 times)

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
Black Walnuts
« on: July 19, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Someone convince me that the Carrot Cake that I brought into work to share with my co-workers was just sophisticated and earthy and not bitter...

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
Re: Black Walnuts
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
I think there is something in black walnuts that some people find really repellant.  It's probably genetic.  You've either got the receptors or you don't.  I've got 'em.  Everyone in my family raves about fudge with black walnuts.  I always smile and nibble... and throw the rest in the trash when no one's looking.  Use English walnuts next time and see if you don't have more fans. 

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 05:38:23 PM »
They're going over reasonably well, just not the amazement and rapid disappearance that I was hoping for (and elicit when I make something more standard like the pies last month or chocolate chip cookies).

I wanted to bake a birthday cake but didn't have a celebration or anything, so I ate a couple of pieces last night and brought the rest to the office today. I actually think it's good to be able to foist my creations on them.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »
They're going over reasonably well, just not the amazement and rapid disappearance that I was hoping for (and elicit when I make something more standard like the pies last month or chocolate chip cookies).

I wanted to bake a birthday cake but didn't have a celebration or anything, so I ate a couple of pieces last night and brought the rest to the office today. I actually think it's good to be able to foist my creations on them.

I wish you worked in my office. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:44:16 PM »
I cannot stand black walnuts. They ruin baked goods....make the entire thing bitter. The rest of my family loves them though.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
I wonder if it's the skin?

There is a Persian dish made with walnuts and my MIL spent 30 minutes rubbing the skins off as they were toasting.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 08:46:09 PM »
I grew up in CA and a friend had a huge black walnut growing in her front yard. Her grandmother would pay us to pick them for her. They totally ruined me for any kind of walnut. Even just the smell of them turns my stomach. Bleah.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 09:19:18 PM »
I grew up in CA and a friend had a huge black walnut growing in her front yard. Her grandmother would pay us to pick them for her. They totally ruined me for any kind of walnut. Even just the smell of them turns my stomach. Bleah.

We had one in our yard as a kid. We were expected to pick and shell them for my mom...which I hated because I don't even like to eat them. My mom puts them in all her baked goods.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 11:16:51 AM »
We had one in our yard as a kid. We were expected to pick and shell them for my mom...which I hated because I don't even like to eat them. My mom puts them in all her baked goods.

So you know just what I mean. That bitter stink that stains your hands for days.  :-X

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:46 AM »
I love the smell of black walnut skins!  I have never eaten a black walnut though because despite them littering the backyard where I grew up, I was always told that black walnuts were poisonous.  When, as an adult, I found out they weren't, I asked mom about it and she said her mother always told her they were poisonous... so we asked her and she said the same... I asked my great-grandfather about it and he said, "Nothing ever grows under a black walnut tree, they must be poison.".  :)  Thank god my family has longevity or I may have never solved that one.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »
Not a black walnut fan now.  They are too "strong" I think - for lack of a better word.

Although when we were kids we used to smash 'em open with rocks at my dad's farm and eat them right under the tree.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
I've never heard of black walnuts. I don't think I've ever seen them, either.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 05:13:38 PM »
I've never heard of black walnuts. I don't think I've ever seen them, either.

They are the ones that taste like mildew smells.  Other than that, scrumptious!

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
They are the ones that taste like mildew smells.  Other than that, scrumptious!

Lol. I've said something tastes like cigarettes before and DH wanted to know the last time I ate a cigarette. Sometimes you smell something and can imagine the taste.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
Lol. I've said something tastes like cigarettes before and DH wanted to know the last time I ate a cigarette. Sometimes you smell something and can imagine the taste.

Saki tastes like rubbing alcohol...yet I have never actually drank rubbing alcohol.

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »
Still trying to use these up, so I made another carrot cake. This time, I roasted the walnuts for a while and chopped them up very finely. It was much better. Just seemed to add some more depth to the cake instead of overpowering it.

Next intervention is to reduce the oil. I had already cut it a little bit, but it's still very moist and could probably work with even less. Keep going down this road and I can pretend that it's health food :)

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 10:06:08 PM »
Next intervention is to reduce the oil. I had already cut it a little bit, but it's still very moist and could probably work with even less. Keep going down this road and I can pretend that it's health food :)

In a carrot cake?  My mom uses prune puree and it turns out really well.

I made a paleo carrot cake that only used 1/4 cup coconut oil, and it was really fucking great.  It had walnuts in it, though :d (not black walnuts.)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »
Apple sauce works well, or maybe you could use carrot puree.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2012, 10:49:59 AM »

I made a paleo carrot cake that only used 1/4 cup coconut oil, and it was really fucking great.  It had walnuts in it, though :d (not black walnuts.)

recipe?  :)
Because PANTS

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 07:50:33 PM »
recipe?  :)

http://fortycakes.com/new/paleo-carrot-cake-with-honey-frosting/

It calls for hazelnuts, but they're not my fave, and I had a lot of walnuts, so.

(I did not make the honey frosting, but I'm sure it's great, too!)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 08:24:51 PM »
sounds good.  I really like baking with almond flour.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 08:28:23 PM »
sounds good.  I really like baking with almond flour.

Me too!  Ever since that clementine cake.

+-SUPPORT US