Author Topic: Tofu  (Read 8790 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
Tofu
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
What are good ways to incorporate more tofu into my diet?  I had some at a Vietnamese restaurant, in a stir-fry, and it was great.  I never seem to be able to do something good with it, though, myself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Tofu
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
I bought tofu once.

Apparently squeezing the water out is much more involved than I anticipated, because mine did not have the right texture when I cooked it.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:33:00 PM »
I bought tofu once.

Apparently squeezing the water out is much more involved than I anticipated, because mine did not have the right texture when I cooked it.

You probably did not buy firm or extra firm.  It depends on what you want to do with it.

Do you like Hot and Sour soup Ice Cream?  It is also really good in lasagne or stuffed pasta. 
Because PANTS

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 02:11:05 PM »
squeezing it, i just put paper towels on it and then books with cans on top. i actually never do it to be honest.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I've been using it lately for stir fries, the extra firm and just press between paper towels but not like crazy, just to dry the moisture a bit.
It's got low WW points for a lot of it.

TJ's has a package of baked tofu, I'd like to try making that too. Might try the hummus baked one Meri posted.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 02:57:39 PM »
to be honest, the best tofu i have ever had is locally-ish made in a hippy commune in VA :D I would highly suggest finding a locally made tofu in your area, not a mass marketed one. The differences are staggering.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:16:51 PM »
I never squeeze tofu. I mostly eat it in stir fries. Although, I actually also really like it raw/cubed in salads. I do like the baked & pressed stuff but it's so expensive! Usually I cut it into some shape and then I put it in a non-stick skillet (yeah, I know...) with a little spritz of olive oil, over medium heat. Then I just leave it until all of the moisture cooks out of it and it browns, then I flip it over and brown it on the other side. Then I add some soy, some rice wine vinegar, a little sriracha, and maybe some sesame oil and allow it to soak up the liquid and brown again on each side. Then I stirfry veggies and mix.

I have experimented with some other ways of cooking it, but that is my favorite. My family likes it when I coat it in bbq sauce and then pan-fry the same way, up to where I added the sauce, in the directions above (you can also broil it). I usually serve that with quesadillas or mashed potatoes.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 07:36:19 PM »
I like to roast it and then put it in salads.  Cut firm/extra firm in 1" cubes, toss in olive oil, bake at 450 for 15 minutes, then flip cubes over, bake for another 15 minutes.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Onward through the fog...
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 09:15:33 PM »
can you chicken-fry it and smother it with bacon gravy?
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:06:30 PM »
I really like this Sweet Chile Pineapple Tofu Stirfry and found it to be a pretty good introduction to tofu: http://spoonwithme.com/2011/10/16/sweet-chile-pineapple-glazed-tofu-with-mixed-veggie-stir-fry/

The tofu is coated with cornstarch and corn meal and then fried in canola oil. I just pan fry it in about 1/4 inch of oil, turning the cubes frequently, rather than deep frying like the recipe says. It doesn't seem that the cubes soak up that much oil, but it gives them a deliciously crunchy/chewy outside. I press the tofu slices under a baking dish with a couple of cans on top before starting.

Also, I get the pineapple juice from a can of pineapple chunks and throw the chunks into the stirfry at the end. I think it's a perfect "sweet" addition.

Offline Clementine

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 11:11:22 PM »
This Broccoli Tofu Stirfy recipe is also good and prepares the tofu in essentially the same way: http://www.girlichef.com/2010/08/broccoli-tofu-my-favorite-tofu-dish-of.html

Offline Tim

• The Runners
Tofu
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 11:20:22 PM »
I would recommend the how to Cook everything vegetarian app if you have the iPhone

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 06:49:00 AM »
I would recommend the how to Cook everything vegetarian app if you have the iPhone

Ha, completely forgot that I have a vegetarian cookbook!  No, I do not have the iPhone.

Offline Clementine

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2012, 10:58:09 PM »
Bump for the Food Forum!

Offline GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2012, 11:02:12 PM »
can you chicken-fry it and smother it with bacon gravy?

Funny you should ask...

I used to deep fry whole cakes and then freeze them and use as needed.  The texture was incredible.
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
How about some not fried options?  I love the texture of tofu.   And somehow the blandness is appealing - I can add flavor with hoisin, hot sauce, or pretty much any spice.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 02:13:21 PM »
make tofu or as we'd say, dubu jjigae with doenjang.

or soondubu jjigae.

Offline Clementine

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 02:32:27 PM »
How about some not fried options?  I love the texture of tofu.   And somehow the blandness is appealing - I can add flavor with hoisin, hot sauce, or pretty much any spice.

If you like the texture of tofu, either of the recipes I posted above work fine just throwing the naked tofu cubes in while cooking.

Perhaps "Naked Tofu Cubes" will be my new band name.   :obh:

+-SUPPORT US