Author Topic: Food from your garden  (Read 3855 times)

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
Food from your garden
« on: July 20, 2021, 07:01:26 PM »
Going crazy with the tomatoes and buffalo mozzarella.
Stuffing peppers today
Did air fried summer squash that was so big I thought it was going to be horrid, but was freaking delicious.
Did caponata with our peppers and eggplants.
Grilling eggplants with feta and mint tomorrow...or soon.

Yum!
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Food from your garden
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2021, 07:34:52 PM »
I air fried zucchini sticks this week. How did you do your squash, Jan?

I made ratatouille and a curry and I just blanched and froze a bunch of green beans.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2021, 07:54:15 PM »
The only thing I harvested from the yard this year is bamboo shoots.  There are many reasons NOT to have a bamboo patch, but if you like the shoots, there's no substitute for the real thing.  Oh, and wild raspberries.  I have a great CSA this year, so there is no compelling reason to grow my own stuff.   

Offline redkitty

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2021, 10:16:42 PM »
I will take suggestions on an overabundance of cherry tomatoes. I get them every other week in my CSA and for some reason I decided to plant some. I have no idea why as I am the ONLY person in my house who eats tomatoes. Unfortunately the acidity has been wreaking havoc on my gums and the roof of my mouth. So what should I do with all of them? Can I freeze them? Cook them and freeze them?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 06:44:13 AM »
Throw them in a roasting pan and roast until carmelized. You can add a little olive oil and salt if you want. If you don't like the texture of all the skins, you can put the roasted tomatoes in the blender to smooth everything out. This is delicious on pasta and if you make a lot it freezes well.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 08:27:58 AM »
That sounds good. I will definitely try this.

Online GeekMaster

• Administrator
    • Michael Bartmon Computer Services
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 09:48:41 AM »
Pickling Jalapenos and making sauce from the excess tomatoes.

This is the first year in ages that we have had decent tomato production.
"They will have to pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers."

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."  Robin Williams

"I would rather not understand things than be certain about something that is wrong." Feynman

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 03:55:04 PM »
I air fried zucchini sticks this week. How did you do your squash, Jan?

I made ratatouille and a curry and I just blanched and froze a bunch of green beans.

I LOVE ratatoulle.  Plus it is fun to say.

For the yellow squash, the squash were big...got away from us big.  I thought they were goign to be tough. I drizzled with olive oil, added a seasoning mix (mostly oregano, lemon zest, garlic, pepper etc), salt and habanero pepper flakes (from last year's harvest), and then AF'ed them for about 15 minutes.  Would be great in a sandwich, alone or in a casserole, or even layered in lasagna (pasta replacement, or with pasta)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 03:56:00 PM »
Throw them in a roasting pan and roast until carmelized. You can add a little olive oil and salt if you want. If you don't like the texture of all the skins, you can put the roasted tomatoes in the blender to smooth everything out. This is delicious on pasta and if you make a lot it freezes well.
This is my go to, as well.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2021, 11:37:59 AM »
We had green tomato shakshuka.  Delicious.  I used this recipe as a base. https://www.ediblecommunities.com/recipes/green-tomato-shakshuka/ , but switched it up some.   I added eggplant from the garden instead of the squash. Also, a good couple tablespoons of mint/parsley pesto (again from the garden).  Finally, I was lazy and did not remove the skins from anything - I threw in some tomatillos (also garden produce) but once I pulled the skin off, nothing was left so I just left them as is - all juice etc incorporated.

Anyway, definitely a summery version of shakshouka!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2021, 10:25:20 PM »
sounds delish Jan
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

+-SUPPORT US