Author Topic: I accidentally made vegan coconut oatmeal cookies  (Read 4803 times)

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
I accidentally made vegan coconut oatmeal cookies
« on: February 17, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
and they were awesome.

I was going to make vegan chocolate-chocolate chip oatmeal cookies, but dd2 had pilfered all the chips, so I improvised - I think it might need some other spice, but this iteration was pretty darn good.
I modified this recipe http://southernfood.about.com/od/oatmealcookies/r/blcookies9f.htm

1 stick vegetable crisco + a couple of tablespoons of coconut oil
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 flax eggs (refrigerate 20 - 30 minutes after mixing
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup rolled oats, quick
2 cups coconut
1/2 cup-ish of chopped walnuts

Them mostly sorta follow the directions - mostly, I didn't have much luck with mixing and stirring, I ended up mashing it with my hands.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 03:48:21 PM by gebuh »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: I accidentally made vegan coconut oatmeal cookies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 07:48:50 PM »
interesting!  I might have to try this with date syrup.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 10:41:38 AM »
interesting!  I might have to try this with date syrup.

What do you use date syrup for? It's everywhere here (in the stores) but I never even knew it existed.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:16:11 PM »
You're kidding?  it's liquid gold!  super hard to get here, it's the first item that we pay tons to buy here and you can get easily :)

I originally bought it to make sephardic charoset (chopped nuts and date syrup, more syrup than dates used).  But it's great as a healthy sweetener -- it's really only dates and water.
The whole life challenge doesn't allow any sweetener (but a little stevia) so I've been using it instead.

I made a chia pudding yesterday at my DD's request with 1/4 cup chia seeds, 1 cup coconut milk, a pinch of cocoa and some date syrup.  it's pretty good.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline gebuh

• The Runners
  • don't worry, I'm a doctor
    • cycle touring
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 12:51:54 PM »
You're kidding?  it's liquid gold!  super hard to get here, it's the first item that we pay tons to buy here and you can get easily :)

I originally bought it to make sephardic charoset (chopped nuts and date syrup, more syrup than dates used).  But it's great as a healthy sweetener -- it's really only dates and water.
The whole life challenge doesn't allow any sweetener (but a little stevia) so I've been using it instead.

I made a chia pudding yesterday at my DD's request with 1/4 cup chia seeds, 1 cup coconut milk, a pinch of cocoa and some date syrup.  it's pretty good.
Can you get dates?   I saw a bunch of recipes for date syrup on the interwebs, it looks pretty easy.
That pudding sounds good, I don't have any chia seeds tho, think I could swap it out with almond cream or pine nuts?

+-SUPPORT US