Author Topic: Headlight or running lamp recommendation  (Read 26880 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Re: Headlight or running lamp recommendation
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2014, 10:53:43 PM »
Hey! Thanks for the coupon!

But :skep: on the pink comment.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »
I'm curious about knuckle lights, too - people who wear headlamps with a hat, do you mean a cap with a visor/brim? Does that block the light? (I feel like this is an incredibly dumb question.) I can't figure out how to make that work, and I pretty much always wear a cap until winter when I switch to a winter hat to cover my ears, no visor. Knuckle lights seem like they'd get around that and would work no matter what's on (or in!) my head.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2014, 07:30:51 AM »
I'm gonna buy the knuckle lights.
C, I hardly ever wear a hat except in the rain.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2014, 07:34:09 AM »
I think hats are a short hair thing. I can't think of a time I've run without one, except in costume at Halloween.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »
I can't imagine why I would wear a hat unless to keep the rain out of my eyes. Otherwise they make me hot and uncomfortable.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
Imagine that you have less hair. A lot less.
This space for rent.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2014, 08:54:22 AM »
I ordered the knuckle lights just now.  Also I ordered pink because that's the color S wanted me to get.  :sigh:

But got free shipping and the $5 coupon, so total cost $34.99.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2014, 11:25:58 AM »
I'm curious about knuckle lights, too - people who wear headlamps with a hat, do you mean a cap with a visor/brim? Does that block the light? (I feel like this is an incredibly dumb question.) I can't figure out how to make that work, and I pretty much always wear a cap until winter when I switch to a winter hat to cover my ears, no visor. Knuckle lights seem like they'd get around that and would work no matter what's on (or in!) my head.

yes with a brim and no it doesn't  block the light. I dont point mine directly down though.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2014, 01:56:15 PM »
Thanks, MM!
This space for rent.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2014, 11:15:26 AM »
I live in the land of dark and hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, hate headlamps worn on head.

The zipka is a pretty good alternative because you can actually hold it also (which you can do with any headlamp, but a little more cumbersome).

Last year, after trying out a few peopel's knuckle lights, I decided to just spring for the $40 and get a pair of my own. I usually only use one of them. Which is also good because I can keep one in my car kit and one in my house kit. :) http://www.amazon.com/Knuckle-Lights-BLUE/dp/B00847KVN2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415030867&sr=8-1&keywords=knuckle+lights

Headlamps are a great "hands free" light. They're not the best option for lighting your runs, however.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »
I just got email that my pink knuckle lights shipped.  :)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
In the trail race I did a couple of weeks ago, two of my loops were in the dark and they did a lot of zigzagging on the hills, so you could see headlamps bobbing all over the place. It was very cool. The only thing I didn't like is that at times, my shadow would slowly become visible in front of me and I knew it was because someone was coming up behind me and I was about to be passed.  :grr:

A friend of mine had the hat with the lamps built in, and another who does a lot of ultras had the handheld. And another whose headlamp had a green setting, and she liked it a lot. Didn't see any knuckle lights.

Online ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2014, 03:45:19 PM »
I just ordered a pair of knuckle lights.  I don't use my headlamp without a hat and sometimes I don't wear a hat (especially when it is hot).
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »
They're out for delivery! I thought they wouldn't be here until tomorrow but they'll be here by the time I get home from work!

:D :D

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2014, 09:46:55 PM »
Last night, I saw three different people running down by the lake with knuckle lights.  They aren't very bright, but that's probably a virtue.  No chance of blinding oncoming traffic (like me) but enough light to see where you are stepping.  It's pretty dark out there in the evenings with the advent of DST.  Last night was no big deal because there was a substantial moon.  After my eyes were dark-adapted I could see fine in the moonlight.  But I did break out the flashlight at one point when I heard some commotion on the lakeshore.  It turned out to be a couple of beavers chowing down on whatever beavers eat.  It was pretty cool having enough light to see them clearly. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2014, 04:28:08 AM »
I just ordered a pair.. I don't mind my headlamp but these seem cool too

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
I ran with them this morning.  They were very comfortable and bright.  One of them came with a defective battery door cover (I couldn't get it open without the butt end of a fork to pry it) so I sent an email to the company last night.

Otherwise, comfortable and seems like just what I needed.  I did try them on with gloves and they were fine.  I could see needing to use only one of them instead of both.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #57 on: November 06, 2014, 10:42:49 AM »
I have a cheap Coleman head lamp.  I bought it for early morning running, but I use it for all sorts of everything.  Any excuse.  I haven't held a light in my hand since I bought it.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: November 06, 2014, 10:43:19 AM »
Last night, I saw three different people running down by the lake with knuckle lights.  They aren't very bright, but that's probably a virtue.  No chance of blinding oncoming traffic (like me) but enough light to see where you are stepping.  It's pretty dark out there in the evenings with the advent of DST.  Last night was no big deal because there was a substantial moon.  After my eyes were dark-adapted I could see fine in the moonlight.  But I did break out the flashlight at one point when I heard some commotion on the lakeshore.  It turned out to be a couple of beavers chowing down on whatever beavers eat.  It was pretty cool having enough light to see them clearly. 

IME, you get more light at your feet-- even though they produce less light from the source.

The downside (IMO) is that you are potentially a little less visible with knuckle lights than a headlamp. Part of the reason I wear a headlamp is in an effor to Be SEEN. Though, admittedly, even when I am lit up like a friggin christmas tree, drivers just don't seem to see me!

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: November 06, 2014, 01:15:01 PM »
IME, you get more light at your feet-- even though they produce less light from the source.

The downside (IMO) is that you are potentially a little less visible with knuckle lights than a headlamp. Part of the reason I wear a headlamp is in an effor to Be SEEN. Though, admittedly, even when I am lit up like a friggin christmas tree, drivers just don't seem to see me!

I swear some times when I have my headlight on it seems to attract drivers!

+-SUPPORT US