Author Topic: A fee to pick up bib numbers on race day????  (Read 17671 times)

Chris the Wheeler

A fee to pick up bib numbers on race day????
« on: October 03, 2014, 10:10:36 AM »
So, Amy and I are trying to encourage my sister to begin and active lifestyle.  In other words, to get her fat ass off the couch and do something...anything.... 

So my sister brings up one of these stupid color races.   It's called the Foam Glow 5k.  We said we would do it with her, so she agreed.  It was already $30. each for registration.  So, we are down 60 bucks already.   We then get this email with race "week" details.  They are holding number pick up on Thursday and Friday during the day.  You know, when people are working. Oh, you can pick up at the race, but it's a $5.00 person fee (cash only).  Then it's a $10. fee to park at the event.    Who do these people think they are?  The BAA? 

BTW, Amy & I are betting my sister drops out before finishing the first 1k.

Offline McG

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: A fee to pick up bib numbers on race day????
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 10:17:33 AM »
You just lost about 2/3 of your readers with your fat ass comment and calling the race stupid.
McG has the perfect comedic touch: reserved only for just the right moments. - tazawa

Chris the Wheeler

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
You just lost about 2/3 of your readers with your fat ass comment and calling the race stupid.

Just speaking truth to justice.

Should I have used extra large backside?  And this isn't even really a race.  Just a bunch of people running through glow in the dark foam.  How is that not stupid?

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »

Yeah, Chris. Not cool. As for picking up the race bib on the day of the race, it takes manpower to deal with late comers. I for one would pay $5 if I have no other time to pick up my packet. Good for them for offering the option.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline crazypants

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
You MUST be bored, brother.

Offline buzzy

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 10:29:34 AM »
Yeah, Chris. Not cool. As for picking up the race bib on the day of the race, it takes manpower to deal with late comers. I for one would pay $5 if I have no other time to pick up my packet. Good for them for offering the option.

I have never paid an extra fee for picking up my number on race day.  I agree it should be part of the fee.  They usually say registration begins a couple of hours before race time.  That's when you pick up these numbers.

--buzz

Chris the Wheeler

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »
:eyeroll:
I've been racing for years.  I've never ever paid for number pick up.  I've directed races.  Yes, it take a couple of volunteers to hand out numbers.    I'm all for capitalism.  As a matter of fact I love it.  But you don't throw all the additional expenses at your customers 7 days before the event and long after they registered.  It should have been announced up front. 

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »
I have never paid an extra fee for picking up my number on race day.  I agree it should be part of the fee.  They usually say registration begins a couple of hours before race time.  That's when you pick up these numbers.

--buzz

We're going through economic hard times. I think it takes $ to accomodate everyone's needs. I have not paid bib pick up in the past either, just because there is a time and place to pick the bib for everyone. Obviously, race day pick up is an inconvenient time for the race organizers to distribute. Why not capitalize on those who couldn't get anyone to pick up their bibs for them when they are available for free?

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
:eyeroll:
I've been racing for years.  I've never ever paid for number pick up.  I've directed races.  Yes, it take a couple of volunteers to hand out numbers.    I'm all for capitalism.  As a matter of fact I love it.  But you don't throw all the additional expenses at your customers 7 days before the event and long after they registered.  It should have been announced up front.

Oh, I agree in that case. Perhaos the fee could motivate everyone to pick up the race packets on the day it is free. I hope so.

Offline Fast Eddie

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 10:48:31 AM »
Sounds like it is organized by the Evil, Backwards, HoseWater, Rock n Roll Empire.

Buy extra color pack$ to ambush sister when she drops out.
Live, learn, have amazing sex, and move on!!  :D - floridagal

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 11:11:47 AM »
Can your sister not pick up your race packet for you, since the race is in her town?

OR by "during the day", do you mean that they are only running packet pick up until 5 pm, and your sister couldn't get there either?  IN my area, they would go to at least 7 pm for a small race.  Large races have later pick up times because they know people travel to do them.

I would be livid if I had signed up for a race thinking that I could do race day packet pick-up (have never had to pay a fee for that - it's either been offered or not offered) and found out last minute there was a fee.  Especially after paying $30 for a 5K that doesn't appear to be a charity event.  And especially if I was going to have to pay $10 to park.  (Is that the event people or just how much parking lots in the area charge?)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 11:13:39 AM by rocketgirl »
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 11:13:17 AM »
Remember these  races are a business not a charity fundraiser. They want as much of your money as they can get.

Offline SandraDee

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 11:21:34 AM »
The same day $5 fee is listed on the website's FAQ's.
"People like you own the world" - ellenshana

Chris the Wheeler

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 11:24:39 AM »
We're going through economic hard times. I think it takes $ to accomodate everyone's needs. I have not paid bib pick up in the past either, just because there is a time and place to pick the bib for everyone. Obviously, race day pick up is an inconvenient time for the race organizers to distribute. Why not capitalize on those who couldn't get anyone to pick up their bibs for them when they are available for free?

Race day pick up is just easier for your volunteer crew as well.  Staffing an event on 1 days is easier then 3 days. 

Sounds like it is organized by the Evil, Backwards, HoseWater, Rock n Roll Empire.

Buy extra color pack$ to ambush sister when she drops out.

I think it's one of those "for profit groups". 

I don't know about buying extra packs to celebrate her "dropping out."    You don't celebrate failure.  Then again, times have changed.  My family doesn't get DNFs.  It's not allowed.  :d

Can your sister not pick up your race packet for you, since the race is in her town?

OR by "during the day", do you mean that they are only running packet pick up until 5 pm, and your sister couldn't get there either?  IN my area, they would go to at least 7 pm for a small race.  Large races have later pick up times because they know people travel to do them.

We are trying to coordinate that now.  The email said pick up until 5pm.  She was told later.  So, I'm trying to confirm. 

I would be livid if I had signed up for a race thinking that I could do race day packet pick-up (have never had to pay a fee for that - it's either been offered or not offered) and found out last minute there was a fee.  Especially after paying $30 for a 5K that doesn't appear to be a charity event.  And especially if I was going to have to pay $10 to park.  (Is that the event people or just how much parking lots in the area charge?)

We re on the same page.  The hard part is that I don't really want to do this.  I have a Half Marathon the morning after. 

Chris the Wheeler

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 11:25:06 AM »
The same day $5 fee is listed on the website's FAQ's.

It is now.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 11:42:47 AM »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 11:43:54 AM »
I'm doing a Ragnar race (expensive!) and after signing up, our team leader got  notified that we'd either need to bring a volunteer or pay $10 each to hire someone. Annoying to get hit up with another charge after already shelling out big bucks.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 11:44:48 AM »
No race day pick ups is one of the main resaons why I don't enter many races.  Charging for it IS stupid.  Fat ass runners lining up in front is another reason I don't enter many races.

:P

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 11:45:52 AM »
I'm doing a Ragnar race (expensive!) and after signing up, our team leader got  notified that we'd either need to bring a volunteer or pay $10 each to hire someone. Annoying to get hit up with another charge after already shelling out big bucks.

It says that right on their website.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 11:46:32 AM »
It says that right on their website.

Argh!

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2014, 11:48:37 AM »
Argh!

I think they waive the fee if you agree to talk like a pirate though.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 11:49:45 AM »
I think they waive the fee if you agree to talk like a pirate though.

I'm keeping me pieces of eight! Arrrrrrrr!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2014, 11:54:47 AM »
I think offering a $5 refund to those who pick up the number early would have been a better tactic.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2014, 12:01:23 PM »
Never heard of the cash fee for picking up numbers on race day for people who already pre-registered.  That does seem weird.   Also, the characterization of color runs as stupid is not an unfair assessment.   

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2014, 12:07:45 PM »
Never heard of the cash fee for picking up numbers on race day for people who already pre-registered.  That does seem weird.   Also, the characterization of color runs as stupid is not an unfair assessment.   

Yeah.  I'd want to know if there was a place to wash off all that shit and change clothes before I got back in my car.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2014, 12:09:07 PM »
Also, the characterization of color runs as stupid is not an unfair assessment.   

Also, I'm running here.  You try to throw shit on me and I'm gonna kick your ass.   :hah:

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »

The Color Run or Glow Run or whatever for-profit thing-a-ma-jig "races"  aren't races, because they're not timed.   They are events.

Because of the low quality and high fees associated with these events, I'm not surprised at all that they'd charge for day of number pick up.

But they do this because people will pay to get color sprayed on them.   

The good news is that the FoamFest 5K is finally tanking. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline redkitty

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2014, 01:30:35 PM »
I think the comment about picking up extra paint is so you can dump it on your sister when she drops out...not in a celebratory manner, but just so she gets hers. 

I think these color runs are dumb.  Why do i want to be covered in paint? Why do I want my shoes ruined? Or my clothes? Or shit getting into my contacts?  No thank you. But I guess if it gets people out there exercising. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
I always thought the color runs looked fun. Maybe I'm just lame.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline redkitty

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2014, 03:47:21 PM »
I always thought the color runs looked fun. Maybe I'm just lame.

I know people who have run in them and have loved them. just not my thing.  I also don't want to do a mud run...though someone might be able to convince to do a zombie run and I am not even into zombies. 

Offline TwistedFlax

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 04:34:42 PM »
I think football is dumb. :shrug:

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2014, 07:13:15 AM »
Glow in the dark goop don't pay for itself, bruh.

Good thing you've saved lots of money over the years by not buying fancy clothes for weddings. You can afford to spring for race-day pickup.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »
Glow in the dark goop don't pay for itself, bruh.

Good thing you've saved lots of money over the years by not buying fancy clothes for weddings. You can afford to spring for race-day pickup.

And on that note....

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2014, 09:17:55 AM »
One of the big race organizers in this area, CGI, has pickup the day before all their races and if you want race-day pickup you have to sign up for it in advance at the same time when you register for the race. I think there's an extra fee; I can't remember because I've never done it - but it's all stated clearly on the website during registration. They run some triathlons, some half marathons - all the races are pretty big and very well-organized. I think that's to deter people from coming race morning, so they can free up volunteers to work other parts of the course, plus of course it forces people to the expo in an effort to give business to those sponsors. I guess I'm used to it, as picking up the day before is common for triathlons.

For a short event like a color run, I guess I'd find it a little more of an imposition. But if I were doing something I wouldn't typically do, to support a sibling or friend who was getting started with running or trying to get healthy, I guess I'd chalk it all up to that effort and make it part of the fun - packet pickup and lunch out, or a pre-event dinner, etc.
This space for rent.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2014, 10:23:31 AM »
Color runs are not races.
Case closed.

Offline wonderwoman

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2014, 11:37:36 AM »
I don't think they're stupid. Stuff like this is fun and gets people moving who otherwise might choose to stay on the couch.

I do think the fees are way too high and personally would rather do a normal 5k for a favorite charity, but to each their own.

And those of you making fat jokes can suck it. Not everybody is skinny or can run a 5 minute mile. If you're blessed with good genes and lightning speed then good for you. The rest of us have to start somewhere.  :moon:
Flying by the seat of my pants.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2014, 11:52:59 AM »
The only person making fat jokes is CTW.

I agree that those events cost too much but it's great if it gets people active who might not otherwise be motivated to do so.

But aside from that, my opinion of those races remains low because the organizers are focused less on providing a high quality experience and more about getting every dollar.  There was an event around here a few years ago that was charging for WATER. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline wonderwoman

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2014, 01:02:41 PM »
Fat ass runners lining up in front is another reason I don't enter many races.

:P

:moon:
Flying by the seat of my pants.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
Okay, the only people making fat jokes are the two people you'd totally expect to!

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 02:43:48 PM »
Frankly, I'm surprised this type of event even allows wheelers! Baystate Marathon doesn't, but Gloopy Color Backwards HoseWater 5K does??

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 04:28:44 PM »
Frankly, I'm surprised this type of event even allows wheelers! Baystate Marathon doesn't, but Gloopy Color Backwards HoseWater 5K does??

:fiery: :fiery: :fiery:

Actually, this makes me wonder: if the organizers did not think to specify that there was an extra fee, what if they ...?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 04:34:20 PM by Ice Cream »

Offline buzzy

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2014, 02:36:30 PM »

Again... $$$$$

--buzz

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2014, 03:03:06 PM »
a lot of races seem to charge for same day pick up. NJ Marathon is one i can think of off the top of my head.

I would like to do a foam or color run with DD. I think she would love it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »
I'm surprised that she hasn't done a Disney HM yet ... with her genetics & all
we cannot afford Disney at this time  :'(
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

ZiggyStardust

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2014, 08:09:28 PM »

Again... $$$$$

--buzz
Shhhh...was trying to bait CTW...

+-SUPPORT US