Author Topic: Sportsball!  (Read 2491 times)

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
Sportsball!
« on: July 06, 2022, 03:20:39 PM »
Fritz vs Nadal at Wimbledon was some amazing tennis! Fritz left it all on the court, but Nadal is a legend. But does he have 2 more wins in him after this match?? He’s got (what was the term used re: xero?) headboard thighs, but his legs must be tired, to say nothing of the ab strain.
I’m also happy to see Kyrgios not imploding, so I’ll be tuning in to him vs. Rafa.  :tennis:

Non-ball sports also welcome… does anyone have any love for 8x Nathan’s hot dog eating champ, Miki Sudo? What’s more American than stuffing one’s face with tube meat, as fast as one can?

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
Re: Sportsball!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 07:27:46 PM »
Joey Chestnut won and then put a bop on an animal rights activist.

My record for hotdogs in one sitting is 5, at a Phillies game, when I was in my 20s and had a furnace metabolism.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 08:03:29 PM »

My record for hotdogs in one sitting is 5, at a Phillies game, when I was in my 20s and had a furnace metabolism.

Hah, I think my record is 3.  When I was very small, one of our neighbors offered to take a bunch of us kids to a baseball game.  It was the first and only time I ever saw the Washington Senators play.  Mr. Roberts (foolishly) told us that he would buy a round of hot dogs if/whenever the Senators scored a run.  I don't know what got into them that day, but they scored 6 runs over the course of the game.  By the time we were gobbling our third round of hotdogs, Mr. Roberts was so obviously swollen with anger, that I opted for the better part of valor.  Even so, it was a long ride home from Griffith Stadium. 

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 08:24:28 PM »

Joey Chestnut won the men’s contest! But Miki Sudo won the women’s competition. Typical. Ignore the female athletes!  :eyeroll:

I’ll see how many dogs I can down at the Trop next week! :D

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2022, 08:27:29 PM »
Hah, I think my record is 3.  When I was very small, one of our neighbors offered to take a bunch of us kids to a baseball game.  It was the first and only time I ever saw the Washington Senators play.  Mr. Roberts (foolishly) told us that he would buy a round of hot dogs if/whenever the Senators scored a run.  I don't know what got into them that day, but they scored 6 runs over the course of the game.  By the time we were gobbling our third round of hotdogs, Mr. Roberts was so obviously swollen with anger, that I opted for the better part of valor.  Even so, it was a long ride home from Griffith Stadium.
One hot dog says to another, “You been to that German night club yet?” “Nah, it was too krauted.”

What happened to the proliferation of joke threads in the yammerland? Did someone object? At least 2 went *poof*.

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 08:28:47 PM »
Joey Chestnut won the men’s contest! But Miki Sudo won the women’s competition. Typical. Ignore the female athletes!  :eyeroll:

I’ll see how many dogs I can down at the Trop next week! :D

They serve grilled Manta Ray in a bun!

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 08:31:32 PM »

A hot dog and a bottle of water now costs around 8 bucks at the Marlins game. A far cry from "Dollar Dog Nights" at Vet's Stadium back in the 90s.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 08:34:19 PM »
They serve grilled Manta Ray in a bun!
They got papa john’s za and dippin dots!! Two things that only exist in legend, as far as my prior life experience!

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2022, 08:36:32 PM »
They got papa john’s za and dippin dots!! Two things that only exist in legend, as far as my prior life experience!

I've still never seen Dippin Dots, heard of them for years though.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2022, 08:38:04 PM »
I've still never seen Dippin Dots, heard of them for years though.
You gotta go to the Trop!
Actually, ice cream graupel is prolly something I’ll pass on…unless I can get it served up in a mini batting helmet.

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 08:47:30 PM »
You gotta go to the Trop!
Actually, ice cream graupel is prolly something I’ll pass on…unless I can get it served up in a mini batting helmet.

Batting helmet ice cream for the win.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 08:52:41 PM »

Batting helmet ice cream for the win.
It’s prolly like $15!!

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 08:54:18 PM »
It’s prolly like $15!!

Highway robbery. You gotta sneak your own ice cream in some how!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 08:56:58 PM »
Highway robbery. You gotta sneak your own ice cream in some how!
Is that dry ice in your pocket…?

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2022, 09:11:44 PM »
Is that dry ice in your pocket…?

:D

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2022, 02:46:52 PM »
Looks like Kyrgios will be well-rested for the final!

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2022, 03:18:27 PM »
Nadal quit. I'm not up on current tennis.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2022, 04:03:37 PM »
Nadal quit. I'm not up on current tennis.
I mean, he’s got a torn abdominal muscle.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2022, 05:42:19 PM »
Chris Sale bein a weenie baby for da Woo Sox… boo hoo, I’m unhappy! Let me act like an idiot!!

NGL, not gonna be rootin for the Sox at the Trop. My kid says he’ll root for the Sox…but he’s a fan for some reason, of Ji-man Choi.

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2022, 06:15:43 PM »
Chris Sale bein a weenie baby for da Woo Sox… boo hoo, I’m unhappy! Let me act like an idiot!!

NGL, not gonna be rootin for the Sox at the Trop. My kid says he’ll root for the Sox…but he’s a fan for some reason, of Ji-man Choi.

Silly Sale. But as a manager, I'd prolly want the competitive psycho on my team rather than a player who doesn't care and just phones it in. 

Sports are the inverse of good societal behavior. You need maladjusted people to win!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2022, 06:25:53 PM »
Silly Sale. But as a manager, I'd prolly want the competitive psycho on my team rather than a player who doesn't care and just phones it in. 

Sports are the inverse of good societal behavior. You need maladjusted people to win!
…sorta… no one really wants the total jerk on their team. Otherwise, yammering would be the One Talisman to rule the Territories. :D

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2022, 06:34:20 PM »
Pity about Nadal, but he's getting to the age where he can't just rub dirt on an injury like that and press on regardless.  Sometimes 'no guts, no glory' means you need to skip the glory to preserve your guts. 

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2022, 11:01:17 PM »
Can’t find the ballpark food thread (poor eyes I guess), but in addition to the pure sweetness of the Rays (feat. my man Ji-Man) completing the 4-game sweep o the Sox, I fulfilled lifelong…things I hadn’t done, but would’ve been ok never doing;
-tried Papa Johns’s za. Hello, school cafeteria pizza!
-ate dippin dots. Those pellets are cold enough that, if they’re the ice cream of the future, they’ll reverse global warming. It was like eating vanilla-flavored chunks of dry ice. No creaminess like ice cream normally has, just granular, weirdly not-really-melting…very cold gravel. Not saying they were bad, exactly, but I’m not in a rush to have them again.

Tropicana Field was much less grim than I expected! It was aight!!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2022, 08:11:53 PM »
HR Derby! Can the Polar Bear threepeat?

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2022, 09:22:03 PM »
HR Derby! Can the Polar Bear threepeat?

I'm watching Saul.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2022, 06:46:16 AM »
I'm watching Saul.
:D The Covid room opted for dingers! But couldn’t make it through the whole derby. It’s an event that should ideally be DVR’d so much fast-forwarding can be done. But I’m watching highlights of the final round now.

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2022, 09:10:31 PM »
River tubing tomorrow. Surely that’s a sport! This is the state with a ginormous (tubby) bulldog in the governor’s mansion…the definition of “sport” here must be broad. :D
Plus, mustering at Antietam to commemorate when the Union troops donned pink pussyhats to shame the Rebs for thinking there were good people on both sides. Or something. I’m no history buff. :shrug:

Offline Golden God

• Turgid
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2022, 10:55:08 PM »
River tubing tomorrow. Surely that’s a sport! This is the state with a ginormous (tubby) bulldog in the governor’s mansion…the definition of “sport” here must be broad. :D
Plus, mustering at Antietam to commemorate when the Union troops donned pink pussyhats to shame the Rebs for thinking there were good people on both sides. Or something. I’m no history buff. :shrug:

The man in the high castle with the pink hat!

Offline jivan

• Pubescent
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2022, 11:07:25 PM »
My main man Vogelbach gets traded the day before I see the Pirates play!!  >:(
But hey, the Jolly Roger was raised, it was all good…but nary a pierogi to be seen, aside from the racing ones!

+-SUPPORT US