Author Topic: Achilles tendonitis  (Read 2563 times)

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
Achilles tendonitis
« on: October 06, 2019, 01:44:17 PM »
Started having a problem with my right Achilles toward the end of the summer, even after just a short run. So, I've taken the last couple of weeks off from running- still doing cycle classes, lap swimming, strength, so still working out, but no running and it has been much better. Today I did a trail run, figuring the softer surface would help, but nope- pain started right away. Ran for 45 mins, but it hurt the whole time. How long am I looking at before it goes away- 3 weeks? Longer?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Re: Achilles tendonitis
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 08:44:08 PM »
IME the Achilles takes a really long time to heal.  And while I was healing mine I stayed off the trails since it came from a foot sprain (football) and twisting my foot over as I did really stretched the ligaments.  So trail was not great.  If yours had roots and rocks it probably was too challenging.

Are you doing any stretching for it?  There's a book my PT recommended called Running Rewired.  It's almost like a user manual for athletic bodies.  Great stretches in it for the Achilles.  If I can find mine (it may be packed) I can scan and upload tomorrow.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 06:26:47 AM »
IME the Achilles takes a really long time to heal.  And while I was healing mine I stayed off the trails since it came from a foot sprain (football) and twisting my foot over as I did really stretched the ligaments.  So trail was not great.  If yours had roots and rocks it probably was too challenging.

Are you doing any stretching for it?  There's a book my PT recommended called Running Rewired.  It's almost like a user manual for athletic bodies.  Great stretches in it for the Achilles.  If I can find mine (it may be packed) I can scan and upload tomorrow.

Thanks! I'm definitely not stretching enough.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 04:52:49 PM »
If I were you, I'd get into PT right away.

I've had it for over 15 years now.  I didn't realize I could have pushed for PT, and just tried to back off when it bothered me.  I don't think it will ever heal.   It even bothered me randomly when I was doing NOTHING, so....
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 08:42:44 PM »
I promise I didn't forget but was buried at work today.  Hopefully tomorrow!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline roadstrailstris

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 11:06:13 AM »
If I were you, I'd get into PT right away.

I've had it for over 15 years now.  I didn't realize I could have pushed for PT, and just tried to back off when it bothered me.  I don't think it will ever heal.   It even bothered me randomly when I was doing NOTHING, so....

:(

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 06:33:12 PM »
This was about a six week injury for me back in 2013 I believe.  Lots and lots of calf stretching; google eccentric calf stretches. 

+-SUPPORT US