Author Topic: What is the conventional wisdom...  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Yogi

• Passed on to another Brane
What is the conventional wisdom...
« on: November 21, 2016, 08:56:51 AM »
Regarding stretching during a run. Not just a few forward bends during a red light but really stopping for 5+ minutes to loosen up in the middle.

On the one hand it feels good to stretch while warm and take a break but I wonder if the immediate re-tightening of the muscles when the run resumes is an injury risk.

Thoughts?

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: What is the conventional wisdom...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »
Unless you feel something getting tight, I don't see the point.  However, if the first part of the run is a warm up for something much faster, then five minutes of stretching followed by some striders would be beneficial.

siamesedream

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 01:05:11 PM »
I gave up stretching years ago, I don't believe in it.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 01:59:06 PM »
The only time I stretch is after warm up jogging and I'm getting ready to do hill repeats or intervals (not that I do much of the later).

Oh, and before a race but that's more out of wanting something to do.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Yogi

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »
Thanks. Stretching has helped my PF immensely but I'm still trying to figure out the best methods and I don't want to injure something else at the same time.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 08:30:20 AM »
Thanks. Stretching has helped my PF immensely but I'm still trying to figure out the best methods and I don't want to injure something else at the same time.

Great that stretching helped your PF.  It was hurting mine, so I stopped doing PF stretches altogether, and pain disappeared. I say, whatever works for you!

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 03:10:31 PM »
Conventional wisdom is that static stretching is out but dynamic stretching is in.

Here's a brief summary from NYRR. Runners World also has articles.
http://www.nyrr.org/sites/default/files/youth-programs/2013/TFTP_supplemental_stretching.pdf

Pros and college and high school teams typically incorporate dynamic stretching into their warm-up routine.  I haven't seen studies on whether this is effective, but it's definitely what the coaches are advocating.

5-10X each of these, while jogging a few steps between each rep, and you balance on the leg that you are not stretching. So you are getting some core and balance work at the same time as the stretch. Hold for just a second or two, not 15 like they used to say.

touch toe
quad stretch
hip flexor
sideways kicks
toe walk
heel walk
I'll stick to running, thank you.

siamesedream

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 06:03:39 PM »
The only running related injury I had, prior to my turf toe, was caused by stretching. I got overzealous with the stretching and did something wonky to my leg.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 04:22:05 PM »
Unless you feel something getting tight, I don't see the point.  However, if the first part of the run is a warm up for something much faster, then five minutes of stretching followed by some striders would be beneficial.

+-SUPPORT US