Author Topic: Anyone run to/from work? Pack recommendations?  (Read 10964 times)

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
Anyone run to/from work? Pack recommendations?
« on: August 23, 2015, 04:41:48 PM »
While on vacation last week (London), I saw a lot of folks running with packs, assuming they were running home from work. Great idea, I thought while sipping my beer watching these folks run past.
My run home would be about six miles, and I could easily take the bus to the office in the a.m.
Does anyone have pack recommendations? Would just need to hold pants/shirt/shoes.

Thanks,

J

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: Anyone run to/from work? Pack recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 07:03:43 PM »
My son-in-law used to run to work.  He would take the train to work and leaves clothes for the next day and run home.  On the next day, he ran to work; etc. 

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:43 PM »
I've heard great things from trail runners and commuters about Ultimate Direction packs.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Sarah Good Times

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 08:28:51 PM »
My son-in-law used to run to work.  He would take the train to work and leaves clothes for the next day and run home.  On the next day, he ran to work; etc.
Yeah, something like this. Take extra clothes in the day before. Run in with essentials (phone, money, keys, badge) with a hollowed out Camelbak (no bladder). Or run home with the pack, and then take home the extra work clothes the following day.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 06:57:36 AM »
I've heard great things from trail runners and commuters about Ultimate Direction packs.

Thanks !
I'll check them out.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:19:54 PM »
I used to do this when I had a nice 6 mile run home from work (there were no showers so running in was not practical).  I could only do it every other day.  I'd bring my running stuff in in a runnnig bag, and change and run home.  My shorts had pockets for keys, wallet and badge.  No need for water on such a short run.  Then the next day I'd have to bring my extra work clothes home with me on the train.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline kevin871

• The Runners
    • My Running Log
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 09:36:36 PM »
I run home from work once or twice per week. Initially, I would carry all of my clothes in a backpack (with waist and chest straps to keep it stable). Running with the backpack eventually gave me a mild neck injury that took several weeks to go away. I also suspect that the extra weight bouncing around took a toll on my knees.

I now just leave my clothes at work and carry them home the next day. I wear a waist pack to carry my wallet, cell phone, and keys.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 11:54:32 PM »
I walk/run to work on a fairly regular basis.  I settled on a sling pack because the regular back packs all seemed to restrict natural arm movements.  The one I use is the the Plan B Evac from Hazard4.  It's just the right size to carry a full set of work clothes and the quality is outstanding.  It can accommodate a hydration bladder so it also works very well for long range hiking.  You probably aren't interested in the tactical applications, but it's also a great patrol pack.  Here's a video covering the features.  Close your eyes for the first minute if you are squeamish about firearms :)

Hazard 4® Plan-B Sling Pack

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 07:27:42 AM »
Salomon, Nathan, Ultimate Direction, Osprey are good choices.
Camelback ones are good, too, because you can add/remove a bladder.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 08:29:14 AM »
I walk/run to work on a fairly regular basis.  I settled on a sling pack because the regular back packs all seemed to restrict natural arm movements.  The one I use is the the Plan B Evac from Hazard4.  It's just the right size to carry a full set of work clothes and the quality is outstanding.  It can accommodate a hydration bladder so it also works very well for long range hiking.  You probably aren't interested in the tactical applications, but it's also a great patrol pack.  Here's a video covering the features.  Close your eyes for the first minute if you are squeamish about firearms :)

Hazard 4® Plan-B Sling Pack

:)
Thanks !

Salomon, Nathan, Ultimate Direction, Osprey are good choices.
Camelback ones are good, too, because you can add/remove a bladder.

Thanks !

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2015, 02:56:19 PM »
I do not run to or from work, but i have an Ultimate Directions pack and love it. Wasp I think is the model?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 03:35:54 PM »

these are great.  i also like nathan packs.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2015, 03:37:06 PM »
the bladders in osprey packs are really well engineered, but i can't get the packs to lie as flat as i prefer.  too much bouncing.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I remembered last night that I have a few years old Camelbak HAWG (afwul name).
I'm going to take the bladder out and give it a go with that.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »
I remembered last night that I have a few years old Camelbak HAWG (afwul name).
I'm going to take the bladder out and give it a go with that.

That's a good size pack.  Should work pretty well.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 10:47:34 AM »
That's a good size pack.  Should work pretty well.

not sure about it's tactical prowess, though.
 :d

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 10:50:10 AM »
not sure about it's tactical prowess, though.
 :d

They come in camo, thouch, and that means they are at least tacti-cool. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
Speaking of packs, does anyone know a good way to get the stink out of the straps? I have a new Camelbak that I've only used a handful of times, but I sweat a lot and the straps smell terrible (as in, I had to take it out of my closet and put it in the basement terrible).

Offline Sarah Good Times

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 09:39:17 AM »
Speaking of packs, does anyone know a good way to get the stink out of the straps? I have a new Camelbak that I've only used a handful of times, but I sweat a lot and the straps smell terrible (as in, I had to take it out of my closet and put it in the basement terrible).
I'll be watching responses to this so I can address the funk that are Keens, and workout clothes.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 12:06:06 PM »

Have you tried soaking in white vinegar diluted with water?  I do that to my pack every 6 months or so and it seems to work.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »
Have you tried soaking in white vinegar diluted with water?  I do that to my pack every 6 months or so and it seems to work.

The entire pack or just the straps? I haven't tried this, but I do toss vinegar in the washing machine with my smelly running clothes so this is certainly worth a try.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2015, 03:22:52 PM »
The entire pack or just the straps? I haven't tried this, but I do toss vinegar in the washing machine with my smelly running clothes so this is certainly worth a try.

I wash the whole pack.  On mine, the strap and pack are integral.  Besides, I sweat so much I soak the whole thing sometimes. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2015, 04:48:39 PM »
I wash the whole pack.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2015, 04:53:50 PM »
wash the pack in a machine.

nikwax base wash works if you really can't get that stink out.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2015, 06:52:39 PM »
I just put the packs in the washer.  Not in the drier.  As for my sandals, I have done the same thing, even with casual leather sandals.  I just put them in a mesh bag and zip it up. 

I usually do this with my sandals when the stink is so bad I am ready to throw them out, but they still look good.  Then I am willing to experiment. And the amazing thing is, they usually come out very good.  I do make sure I wash them with similar colors, though. 

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2015, 01:26:54 PM »
I just spent a painful amount of time trying to figure this out. I'm late to the game as I have a race at the end of Sept and I might be able to test it out once. I ordered the Ultimate Direction Jenny vest and the 2L bladder from Hydrapack.

Amazon had the vest cheap and the 1.5L Hydra bladder, but the vest was not available until after 9/10 and the  UD bladder had no eta. No bueno.

I was on the UD site and the vest was full price at 124.95, but the  UD bladder was out of stock. No bueno.

In the end I went with REI and the vest is the full price, but the bladder is the Hydrapack 2L. So I'm hoping that fits. Otherwise I am screwed. And they will arrive next week. This was very draining to figure out. I suppose if I have to I can try again to order from Amazon once my stuff arrives from REI and it doesn't work out. So much for trying to get a deal. I also don't want to deal with a bladder, but I think I kind of have to accept it. I wear the belt usually with 4 bottles or occasionally use a handle held, but only for short runs and I am sick of both options.

+-SUPPORT US