Author Topic: HOPKINTON MARATHON THREAD!!!  (Read 16544 times)

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
HOPKINTON MARATHON THREAD!!!
« on: April 19, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »
It's that time of year again!

There are all sorts of fast black folk on the men's side this year - with a token Dathan & Teg thrown in.  Given what transpired last year, I don't think Meb will be granted a 1:21 head start at 30k this year, making it relatively unlikely for lightning to strike twice.  There's a fair chance it will come down to Makau (2:03: PR) and Lelisa Desisa (2:04 PR, 2nd in NYC, won this race two years ago, and his name is just fun to say.)  If he can make it to cleveland circle without his body having shattered into a million pieces, Dathan always has a chance to drop a fast one and could beat Meb for American bragging rights.

With Drug Cheat Rita Jeptoo not currently in the business of marathoning, the women's race is a bit more open for the taking.  Mare Dibaba and Buzunesh Deba both seem to stand the best chance, as the only 2 with PRs under 2:20 and the latter of which kept persistently taking 2nd to Drug Cheat Rita Jeptoo and will hopefully earn her keep at last.  Perennial American contenders Sha-LAME Flanagan and Desi Linden will be rolling the dice once again and hopefully making things interesting.

I'll also be rooting for local studs Amber Green (F27), Fritz Van de Kamp (40) and Scott Keate (79) to pick up the pieces and take it all down! 

Anyone from the CH running the civilian race?  We can get a bib # list started! 

The Entry List:
http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/entrants.aspx

The Tracker Info:
http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/participant-information/att-athlete-alert.aspx

The Video Feed:
http://universalsports.com/marathon/boston-marathon/   

It begins tomorrow.  Make it so!!!!

iwuzwilson

Re: HOPKINTON MARATHON THREAD!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:07 AM »
The Kenyan drug shake up might actually be a factor. A year ago they were more or less untouchable on that front but the house of cards is showing some gaps. They are going to be cautious the playing field might be a little more even than we've seen. That said Ritz is a darkhorse for a podium. I don't know about Teg, but maybe look for someone like Cadaba to crack a top 10.

Why do you call Flanagan sha LAME? Okay she talks big and has a potty mouth but she's been the best of this era, with an World Cross podium, Olympic medal and fast marathon time. Nevertheless, I think Linden is the one who could surprise. Hoping for a top 3 out one of them, both would be amazing.

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »
My neighbor's running.
She's shooting for 3:15 or so.

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 09:27:48 AM »
nevermind, this feed is better: http://watchlive.baa.org/

Women's race about to start.  The announcers don't appear to realize they're live on this feed and are reviewing pronunciations of african names  :d

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:29:28 AM »
Why do you call Flanagan sha LAME? Okay she talks big and has a potty mouth but she's been the best of this era, with an World Cross podium, Olympic medal and fast marathon time. Nevertheless, I think Linden is the one who could surprise. Hoping for a top 3 out one of them, both would be amazing.

Because of this:

The Rivalry: Shalane vs. Kara

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 09:32:16 AM »
RAINRAINRAIN! I'd be pumped if I were racing.  I do best in monsoon-type weather. 

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 09:33:37 AM »
I also see Hilary Dionne, who was a local high school standout back in the day.  She's gotten quite a bit of screen time over the past couple years and seems to have done quite well for herself! 

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:17 AM »
One of my coworkers has bib #152.   Yep.  That's how good he is.   Nice, nice kid who has trained so hard this winter.  I've been joking with him about how sharp his cheek bones have been looking these days. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

iwuzwilson

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2015, 10:52:48 AM »
I have a number of friends and rivals from AK running. One friend even sent me a text and photo of him and a couple former homies from Fairbanks, from one of their relative's front porch which is near the start. The text said, wish you were with us! They're 55-61 and should all be in the mid-low 3s today. 

And here's an article from Alaska Dispatch News, about a guy I raced against last year. I broke the course record age, and I believe state record too, for the half marathon last May only to find that this guy was 2:45 ahead in 1:16. I thought he was 45 or so. Anyway, good luck to him and he could vie for a top 5, or even better, for 55-59 today. 

http://www.adn.com/article/20150418/masters-marathoner-young-builds-boston
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 11:19:37 AM by Raj »

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2015, 10:56:31 AM »
My neighbor's running.
She's shooting for 3:15 or so.

Through 5k in 24:14.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 11:28:21 AM »
One of my coworkers has bib #152.   

Yikes. Good luck to him.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:29:45 AM »
Well, Shalene is done.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »
56 yr old dude from Anchorage at 2:45 pace through 13.1

The three friends from FBX (actually 54 to 59 yr old not 55-61) were at 46-48 minutes through 10K (~7:10 to 7:45 pace)

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
DESI.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

iwuzwilson

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 11:52:39 AM »
DESI.

Who said it? I think Linden is the one who could surprise.

The stretch is going to be tough because it looks like she's been doing most of the work out there.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 11:55:34 AM »
Well that was a quick and decisive move in the women's race.

Offline Lanarkshire with an L

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
Aw, Meb holding that woman's hand and crossing the finish together brought a tear to my eye. What a sportsman. :)
You are a genius! ~cherietree

We have a bus and we're not afraid to use it. ~Sarcastic Fringehead

www.usamarathonlist.com
www.marathonrunnersdiary.com

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:07 PM »
Aw, Meb holding that woman's hand and crossing the finish together brought a tear to my eye. What a sportsman. :)

I cried.  And then Meb said in a finish line interview that threw up 5 times during the race!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 12:28:36 PM »
Yikes. Good luck to him.

2:26.   A couple minutes off his goal but it was a tough, windy day out there.

iwuzwilson

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 12:49:36 PM »
Maybe I shouldn't feel so bad about getting beat last year in the half marathon:

ยป Young, Jeffrey (USA)

01:22:48

02:46:23

02:46:56

+-SUPPORT US