Author Topic: Question about Yaxtrax Run  (Read 14934 times)

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
Re: Question about Yaxtrax Run
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »
I have a pair of yaxtrax.
I only have a few runs in them, but I think they work great.
Wearing them sure beats falling on my arse on the ice. 
I still have good traction on the bare spots.
I do find myself actively seeking out icy patches to run on because, why not !

Good luck with the screws. I've never tried that method.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2015, 06:53:41 AM »
I am just seeing this... I love my screw shoes.. Down here everyone uses yak trak but I hate them.. You will fall on your face on dry pavement.. Screw shoes work great on dry pavement and also on mud..
When I lived in Maine everyone used screw shoes... Screw shoes are bad ass!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback! And MoS, I admit to liking the Badass component.  :D

Tomorrow I have a 5 mile recovery run scheduled - which should be perfect for testing them out.  Today and yesterday I had 8 milers with some 5k pace business thrown in, so did those on the mill, plus, -20 wind chill.  Tomorrow at 6 a.m. it's scheduled to be ~17F degrees, which is doable.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 10:49:31 AM »
ordered a pair of Yaktrax last night. We live across the street from a lake, been wanting to run on that for some time now, just because.

I am a bit hyper vigilant about ice on the road, took a nasty fall last Winter. Been meaning to do the Yaktrax or screw thing - the lazy path won out.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 10:55:59 AM »
I ran in the screws today.  THEY WERE AWESOME.  I kept seeking out the icy stuff, so I was running kind of zig zag. 

This terrain usually slows me down by a minute per mile at least.  Today's run was very close to normal.  I was slowed down by about 15-20 seconds per mile on the stuff that was like sand.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 03:15:13 PM »
I ran in the screws today.  THEY WERE AWESOME.  I kept seeking out the icy stuff, so I was running kind of zig zag. 

This terrain usually slows me down by a minute per mile at least.  Today's run was very close to normal.  I was slowed down by about 15-20 seconds per mile on the stuff that was like sand.
yay!  so much better than yak trak and you don't kill yourself if you hit dry pavement.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
ordered a pair of Yaktrax last night. We live across the street from a lake, been wanting to run on that for some time now, just because.

I am a bit hyper vigilant about ice on the road, took a nasty fall last Winter. Been meaning to do the Yaktrax or screw thing - the lazy path won out.

I really did not find Yak trak helpful on ice... I though they were better for snow traction but could not dig into the ice

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 10:07:11 PM »

Cool!  The machine screw hack has been around for years.  I remember hearing about it first from a guy who ran up mountains for fun.  No real mountains around here, and the winters are not all that bad so I never had a chance to try it out.  I'm glad it worked out.  New life for old shoes and safer running for you!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 05:28:58 AM »
:cloud:

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 08:20:51 PM »
Well, I just had to give this a try myself.  We don't get enough snow most years for this to be worth the trouble.  But I had a pair of worn out shoes just begging to be repurposed, and the screws were cluttering up the tool drawer, so why not?  We've actually got some snow and ice on the ground, so I'll give them a try tomorrow.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 08:40:31 PM »
Nice!  Let us know how they work.

When I left for work in my regular high heeled boots, I was shocked at how hard it was to walk on the ice. I had wondered if the screws were really doing anything or if it was just my imagination, and then I put regular shoes on and remembered. 

I might put a few more in the forefoot area.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:28:39 PM by Eco Ellen »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 07:13:36 AM »
Well, I just had to give this a try myself.  We don't get enough snow most years for this to be worth the trouble.  But I had a pair of worn out shoes just begging to be repurposed, and the screws were cluttering up the tool drawer, so why not?  We've actually got some snow and ice on the ground, so I'll give them a try tomorrow.

Nice work, but, OMG, worn out.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 07:36:49 PM »
Nice!  Let us know how they work.
I tried them out this evening on the way home from work.  They worked really well.  Conditions turned out to be much poorer than I was expecting.  I was running on ice and refrozen snow practically the whole way.  More angles than my ankles were expecting.  But the screws really bit into all that mess and I felt completely in control of my footing.  Fun!

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 07:38:21 PM by radial »

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 07:45:17 PM »
Nice!! :) glad I could be your guinea pig.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 03:33:35 PM »

They actually are much better on ice then snow..

So basically.. you all have me to thank for this invention!!!!!

+-SUPPORT US