Author Topic: Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?  (Read 25106 times)

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »
 :)

Glad to hear it!   Now that you mention it, you are probably a good candidate for a more substantial shoe than the lightest versions since you work them hard!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »
I ran 10 miles with the Bondi 4s today and so far so good.  :fingers:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline CheryG

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
OMG, how many miles are you people putting on those shoes?!  I only get about 200 miles on any pair, any brand, before they feel dead.  Then again, I don't run on pavement much.  Is that why you wear through the soles?

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:26 PM »
OMG, how many miles are you people putting on those shoes?!  I only get about 200 miles on any pair, any brand, before they feel dead.  Then again, I don't run on pavement much.  Is that why you wear through the soles?
I'd be replacing almost every month!  I only run on pavement, and I'm a heel striker, which wears things quick...I never put less than 500 on a pair...even when I should....a few years back when I was super duper broke (instead of just regular broke), I put on about 1200  :-[

Those Hokas that I posted had about 450 or so...my new ones are already showing obvious wear after 5 days...

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
The wear on the bottom of the shoe is not alway indicative of the wear of the midsole (where the cushion is.)

However, the pic Fionn posted of his old shoes was crazy.  Totally worn. 

I get at least 500 miles out of most of my shoes. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

siamesedream

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
My shoes lasted a lot longer when I was 20 pounds lighter.

I think I got about 300 out of the last pair.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
My Brooks were in the 200ish range, my Hokas in the 600 mile range.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »
so I've got 144 miles on the Hoka Cliftons. Sweet ride, for sure. However, my calves are feeling a bit wonky. Hoping that is some minor just getting used to a very different shoe and not my body rejecting my new foot-heart.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline CheryG

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »

I'd be replacing almost every month!  I only run on pavement, and I'm a heel striker, which wears things quick...I never put less than 500 on a pair...even when I should.

When I was running a lot I did replace them every month.  It's always the forefoot that feels flat to me, never the heel.  I typically ran in New Balance or Saucony, now I pretty much run in only Saucony but am looking forward to giving the Hokas a try.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »

When I was running a lot I did replace them every month.  It's always the forefoot that feels flat to me, never the heel.  I typically ran in New Balance or Saucony, now I pretty much run in only Saucony but am looking forward to giving the Hokas a try.

I don't run a lot anymore, but I'm still pretty hard on shoes.  The Hoka Stinson trail shoes (can't speak for the others) held up really well for me.  I replaced them because the soles were losing their grip, not because the foam was completely shot.  I'm about to buy another pair just to keep in reserve. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »

200 miles???  That sucks.  I consider mine still new at 200 miles.  I get rid of my shoes at 500 miles, but I only do that because I keep track of the mileage. I never feel that they are worn, nor do I see that.

I found the weight comment interesting: That may be related. I am not very heavy.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
Sierra Trading has the Bondi 3 for about $75, incl. shipping. I am getting a pair, I think. Thanks for the rec.

questions, though:
1. Can I insert superfeet insoles? (is there a removable insole?)
2. I wear 8.5 for street shoes, 9 for running shoes. Should I go for the 8.5 or the 9?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:28:41 AM by Ice Cream »

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »
Sierra Trading has the Bondi 3 for about $75, incl. shipping. I am getting a pair, I think. Thanks for the rec.

questions, though:
2. I wear 8.5 for street shoes, 9 for running shoes. Should I go for the 8.5 or the 9?

There is a very thin removable insole, but you should have room...it'll be noticeably more shallow, but shouldn't be a problem.

They appear true to size...I'd go for the 9, because the quick lace system that they come with cinches down pretty good...

I'd wait for Caito to weigh in...but that's my little ol opinion...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
I put my insoles in them, no problem. I think they are pretty true to size. The 4s seem a little roomier.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »
200 miles???  That sucks.  I consider mine still new at 200 miles.  I get rid of my shoes at 500 miles, but I only do that because I keep track of the mileage. I never feel that they are worn, nor do I see that.

I found the weight comment interesting: That may be related. I am not very heavy.

I start feeling the need to replace at about 350. I keep them to about 400. I am on the heavy side.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline CheryG

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »

When I was putting on those miles the most I weighed was #142. I don't think that's ovwrweight for a 9 1/2 mild stability running shoe, but maybe it is. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
When I was putting on those miles the most I weighed was #142. I don't think that's ovwrweight for a 9 1/2 mild stability running shoe, but maybe it is.
at my lightest weight pre-DD, my brooks lasted 6 weeks. It sucked.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
at my lightest weight pre-DD, my brooks lasted 6 weeks. It sucked.

Buying running shoes in general sucks.  My feet are so fussy.  It's funny, they LOVELOVE Crocs, I can buy just about any mid range riding boot and be able to wear them all day, but the moment I stuff them into running shoes, the arch is either too high or too low, too forward or two backwards, toe box too wide or too narrow, heel too wide or too narrow.  I wonder if it's like what goes on with saddles nowadays- back in the old days saddles were made in a more "general" manner, which ended up being able to mostly fit many horses.  Now they're really specific and one saddle fits ONE kind of horse well.  Imagine trying to find a good fitting pair of shoes for something that doesn't speak.  Anyway.  I hate buying running shoes.  I wish I could run in my Crocs.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »

questions, though:

It's funny, mine (not the Bondi) came with two different inserts.  One very thin and the other pretty cushy.  I had to use the thin one for best fit, but the midsole has so much cushion, I don't feel like I lost anything. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
It's funny, mine (not the Bondi) came with two different inserts.  One very thin and the other pretty cushy.  I had to use the thin one for best fit, but the midsole has so much cushion, I don't feel like I lost anything.
this is the first time i got 2 inserts, i did not quite understand them, are you supposed to double them up?

+-SUPPORT US