Author Topic: Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?  (Read 25103 times)

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
I've got about 550 miles on my Hoka Cliftons, and should have retired them 100 miles ago...they're dead...they won't make my Feb 8 marathon.  I need to replace now so that I can have a solid 3 weeks of break in...I was thinking about the Cliftons, but I can get a Bondi 3 for $70 cheaper...and that ain't chump change...that's my fucking hotel room cost...

Yays?  Nays?

Offline joan

• The Runners
Re: Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
I have no idea, but what marathon are you running?  It's coming up so you must be excited!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »
I'd be hesitant to swap the model of my shoe so close to my marathon.  The Bondi is great, just a bit heavier and more substantial than the Clifton.

I fully recognize that others are not as neurotic about their shoe choices as I am though. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »
I agree with Caito; I wouldn't switch shoes so close to the marathon.  Could you get two pairs (one like the old model, one new) and rotate them?

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
I agree with Caito; I wouldn't switch shoes so close to the marathon.  Could you get two pairs (one like the old model, one new) and rotate them?
I'm trying to afford a single pair...which is why I'd prefer the pair that are essentially half the price :)

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »
I have no idea, but what marathon are you running?  It's coming up so you must be excited!
I am!  I've had to adjust my goals from BQ to PR to have fun though, due to some setbacks...hard training + suspected iron deficiency makes it feel like I've already RUN several marathons this year...  :)

I'd be hesitant to swap the model of my shoe so close to my marathon.  The Bondi is great, just a bit heavier and more substantial than the Clifton.

I fully recognize that others are not as neurotic about their shoe choices as I am though. 
I tend to agree, but I'm not sure I have much of a choice...I'm pretty good at acclimating...I was trying desperately to get another 100 including the marathon on the Cliftons....but, I'm courting injury now...

The Bondi are showing about 4 oz heavier each...I'm not too concerned about the weight...I spit more weight than that in a marathon.... :D

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
Can you talk to someone from the company or a reputable running store about differences between the two shoes?  Big online running stores sites may have some helpful reviews you can read.   You can always go in a test run in the cheaper shoes (unless you're buying online).  You know your body, and if you're comfortable buying the cheaper shoes, and typically don't have injury issues and/or have finicky feet, then I'd consider it.  in my case, I'd go with what I know works for me -- but I'm an anxious person who wouldn't want to take any kind of chance this close to a marathon.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
I read a gazillion reviews...and, I pulled the trigger...if I cripple myself, it's all your faults!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
It will probably be ok and it may even be better, more cushion! I am anxiously awaiting the Bondi 4s, just a couple more weeks, in hopes that the newer ones fit my foot better with the upper section.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
I have run long distances  in brand new shoes. I would definitely do it if I have three weeks before the race. But I can run in almost any shoe that is stability or cushioned.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »
Rock on, dude.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »
Just arrived...I'll report back...

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »
are we there yet?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »
Swapped out my old Hokas for a new pair today.  Think I got my money's worth?  :D

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »
are we there yet?
I'm 16 miles in...let me give it another couple of days for a full review  :)

Swapped out my old Hokas for a new pair today.  Think I got my money's worth?  :D

Think I did?!   :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »
Omg!

I just ordered online the Bondi 4s,  :fingers: they fit better than the 3s which were unwearable for me.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
Jeebus.  Those are some Fred Flinstone lookin' m-fers.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
I like the worn soles pics.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 09:24:25 AM »
Review....after some breaking in (about 40 miles so far), and the normal aches from the difference in bio mechanics, I can say that I'm a fan...they're noticeably heavier than the Cliftons, but the soles seem much sturdier...and as you can see, I can chew up a shoe...

Not much of a review really....more like a "hey, these things are fine, y'all..."

And for half the price of the Cliftons?!  Winner....I've got my final 20 before the Tallahassee Marathon this Saturday, so I guess that'll be the real test...but, I'm confident in the shoes, if not my body  :D

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2015, 09:50:48 AM »
 :)

Glad to hear it!   Now that you mention it, you are probably a good candidate for a more substantial shoe than the lightest versions since you work them hard!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2015, 11:00:15 AM »
I ran 10 miles with the Bondi 4s today and so far so good.  :fingers:

Offline CheryG

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
OMG, how many miles are you people putting on those shoes?!  I only get about 200 miles on any pair, any brand, before they feel dead.  Then again, I don't run on pavement much.  Is that why you wear through the soles?

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2015, 05:27:26 PM »
OMG, how many miles are you people putting on those shoes?!  I only get about 200 miles on any pair, any brand, before they feel dead.  Then again, I don't run on pavement much.  Is that why you wear through the soles?
I'd be replacing almost every month!  I only run on pavement, and I'm a heel striker, which wears things quick...I never put less than 500 on a pair...even when I should....a few years back when I was super duper broke (instead of just regular broke), I put on about 1200  :-[

Those Hokas that I posted had about 450 or so...my new ones are already showing obvious wear after 5 days...

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2015, 05:41:39 PM »
The wear on the bottom of the shoe is not alway indicative of the wear of the midsole (where the cushion is.)

However, the pic Fionn posted of his old shoes was crazy.  Totally worn. 

I get at least 500 miles out of most of my shoes. 

siamesedream

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 05:45:46 PM »
My shoes lasted a lot longer when I was 20 pounds lighter.

I think I got about 300 out of the last pair.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 05:56:55 PM »
My Brooks were in the 200ish range, my Hokas in the 600 mile range.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
  • All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 06:00:06 PM »
so I've got 144 miles on the Hoka Cliftons. Sweet ride, for sure. However, my calves are feeling a bit wonky. Hoping that is some minor just getting used to a very different shoe and not my body rejecting my new foot-heart.
Winner of the 2022 Azzhat of the Year award

Offline CheryG

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 06:16:27 AM »

I'd be replacing almost every month!  I only run on pavement, and I'm a heel striker, which wears things quick...I never put less than 500 on a pair...even when I should.

When I was running a lot I did replace them every month.  It's always the forefoot that feels flat to me, never the heel.  I typically ran in New Balance or Saucony, now I pretty much run in only Saucony but am looking forward to giving the Hokas a try.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 07:48:32 AM »

When I was running a lot I did replace them every month.  It's always the forefoot that feels flat to me, never the heel.  I typically ran in New Balance or Saucony, now I pretty much run in only Saucony but am looking forward to giving the Hokas a try.

I don't run a lot anymore, but I'm still pretty hard on shoes.  The Hoka Stinson trail shoes (can't speak for the others) held up really well for me.  I replaced them because the soles were losing their grip, not because the foam was completely shot.  I'm about to buy another pair just to keep in reserve. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2015, 08:01:54 AM »

200 miles???  That sucks.  I consider mine still new at 200 miles.  I get rid of my shoes at 500 miles, but I only do that because I keep track of the mileage. I never feel that they are worn, nor do I see that.

I found the weight comment interesting: That may be related. I am not very heavy.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:16 AM »
Sierra Trading has the Bondi 3 for about $75, incl. shipping. I am getting a pair, I think. Thanks for the rec.

questions, though:
1. Can I insert superfeet insoles? (is there a removable insole?)
2. I wear 8.5 for street shoes, 9 for running shoes. Should I go for the 8.5 or the 9?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 08:28:41 AM by Ice Cream »

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »
Sierra Trading has the Bondi 3 for about $75, incl. shipping. I am getting a pair, I think. Thanks for the rec.

questions, though:
2. I wear 8.5 for street shoes, 9 for running shoes. Should I go for the 8.5 or the 9?

There is a very thin removable insole, but you should have room...it'll be noticeably more shallow, but shouldn't be a problem.

They appear true to size...I'd go for the 9, because the quick lace system that they come with cinches down pretty good...

I'd wait for Caito to weigh in...but that's my little ol opinion...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2015, 09:29:08 AM »
I put my insoles in them, no problem. I think they are pretty true to size. The 4s seem a little roomier.

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2015, 01:30:42 PM »
200 miles???  That sucks.  I consider mine still new at 200 miles.  I get rid of my shoes at 500 miles, but I only do that because I keep track of the mileage. I never feel that they are worn, nor do I see that.

I found the weight comment interesting: That may be related. I am not very heavy.

I start feeling the need to replace at about 350. I keep them to about 400. I am on the heavy side.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »

When I was putting on those miles the most I weighed was #142. I don't think that's ovwrweight for a 9 1/2 mild stability running shoe, but maybe it is. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
When I was putting on those miles the most I weighed was #142. I don't think that's ovwrweight for a 9 1/2 mild stability running shoe, but maybe it is.
at my lightest weight pre-DD, my brooks lasted 6 weeks. It sucked.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2015, 02:24:22 PM »
at my lightest weight pre-DD, my brooks lasted 6 weeks. It sucked.

Buying running shoes in general sucks.  My feet are so fussy.  It's funny, they LOVELOVE Crocs, I can buy just about any mid range riding boot and be able to wear them all day, but the moment I stuff them into running shoes, the arch is either too high or too low, too forward or two backwards, toe box too wide or too narrow, heel too wide or too narrow.  I wonder if it's like what goes on with saddles nowadays- back in the old days saddles were made in a more "general" manner, which ended up being able to mostly fit many horses.  Now they're really specific and one saddle fits ONE kind of horse well.  Imagine trying to find a good fitting pair of shoes for something that doesn't speak.  Anyway.  I hate buying running shoes.  I wish I could run in my Crocs.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2015, 02:24:46 PM »

questions, though:

It's funny, mine (not the Bondi) came with two different inserts.  One very thin and the other pretty cushy.  I had to use the thin one for best fit, but the midsole has so much cushion, I don't feel like I lost anything. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »
It's funny, mine (not the Bondi) came with two different inserts.  One very thin and the other pretty cushy.  I had to use the thin one for best fit, but the midsole has so much cushion, I don't feel like I lost anything.
this is the first time i got 2 inserts, i did not quite understand them, are you supposed to double them up?

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2015, 03:14:36 AM »
I wish I could run in my Crocs.

http://www.runnersworld.com/masters-profiles/the-croc-runner

He has a marathon time of 2:31:52 in Crocs!!  :yikes:

Offline CheryG

« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2015, 06:35:01 AM »
http://www.runnersworld.com/masters-profiles/the-croc-runner

He has a marathon time of 2:31:52 in Crocs!!  :yikes:
This is beyond awesome!  Lol!  How does he keep little rocks out? 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2015, 11:37:03 AM »
I ordered the hoka bondi 3 and brooks glycerin.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2015, 02:21:05 PM »
I ordered the hoka bondi 3 and brooks glycerin.
I'm really digging the almost no drop with that insane midsole...it gives me a good roll to keep me from putting on the heel brakes with every step..

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2015, 02:55:04 PM »
I just ordered another pair for me plus a pair for my friend.  Expensive shoes, but cheaper than knee surgery. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
I just ordered another pair for me plus a pair for my friend.  Expensive shoes, but cheaper than knee surgery. 

I paid $140 total for both the hokas and the brooks glycerin. Sierra Trading Post.  I could not care less that they are last year's model. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2015, 04:35:09 PM »
Once i realized the Bondi 3s did NOT work for me, I went on a big search to find the last pair of 2s in my size. I found them on ebay and paid a pretty penny. Was worth every penny cause it gave me 4 more months to find a replacement.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2015, 07:03:59 AM »
Once i realized the Bondi 3s did NOT work for me, I went on a big search to find the last pair of 2s in my size. I found them on ebay and paid a pretty penny. Was worth every penny cause it gave me 4 more months to find a replacement.

Did you put your 3s on eBay?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2015, 07:05:10 AM »
Did you put your 3s on eBay?
yes, did you buy them? (or your husband?)

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2015, 11:17:31 AM »
yes, did you buy them? (or your husband?)
I would have taken them, but I have huge feet (and hands, wink, wink...)!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2015, 12:02:41 PM »
I would have taken them, but I have huge feet (and hands, wink, wink...)!!
mens 10.5

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2015, 07:02:38 PM »
mens 10.5

No, nor did DH. I was just curious since you bought some on eBay.  DH has an 11.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2015, 07:23:05 PM »
I found them on eBay, called the store that was selling them and actually bought right from them, saved them a bunch of fees. It was a running store in ME.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
I paid $140 total for both the hokas and the brooks glycerin. Sierra Trading Post.  I could not care less that they are last year's model. 

I love Glycerins.  I generally don't mind buying the older models (unless new model is a fab color, like my current shoes) because they all seem to work for me.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2015, 07:58:33 PM »
The bondi arrived. I like them, but will remove the quick lock laces. The second insole is for people with narrower feet.  You just use both insoles.  I did it.
Also like the Brooks glycerin.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2015, 09:16:30 PM »
The bondi arrived. I like them, but will remove the quick lock laces. The second insole is for people with narrower feet.  You just use both insoles.  I did it.
Also like the Brooks glycerin.

My Hoka order came yesterday.  My friend needed to pull out the fat inserts that came installed and use the skinny ones.  Mine fit best with the fat ones.  I hated the quick laces at first, but wouldn't give them up for anything now.  Once you get them adjusted properly, there's no comparison with old school laces. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2015, 11:02:03 PM »
My Hoka order came yesterday.  My friend needed to pull out the fat inserts that came installed and use the skinny ones.  Mine fit best with the fat ones.  I hated the quick laces at first, but wouldn't give them up for anything now.  Once you get them adjusted properly, there's no comparison with old school laces. 

I have the quick laces on a pair of Salomon trail shoes. I am not a fan of those, either. I am inclined to get rid of them on the Bondi, since there are regular laces in the box. I think I would be more inclined to keep the quick laces if they had used the higher eyelets. I think, as it is, I would have to cut the quick lace anyway in order to use those eyelets.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2015, 06:15:31 AM »
My feet are so narrow i have to remove the quick laces, because they hang over the front end of the shoe. The 4s did not come with them.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2015, 04:43:44 PM »
I love the quick laces...after tightening, I push them through the to elastic straps that they put over the laces and back up one...they're totally out of the way...much more so than tied laces...

Offline Handsome Jack

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2015, 02:25:11 PM »
214 miles and still Hoka Clifton man shows up post run

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2015, 02:28:52 PM »
Hah! My Cliftons do too -- but only if I'm REALLY sweaty.  Like today, on the treadmill.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2015, 10:12:30 PM »

this is the first time i got 2 inserts, i did not quite understand them, are you supposed to double them up?

I double mine on the clifton... I think it gives me more arch support for my PF... On my box it explained the difference between using 1 or 2... 2 seems to be working for me rigt now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 07:46:19 AM »
I double mine on the clifton... I think it gives me more arch support for my PF... On my box it explained the difference between using 1 or 2... 2 seems to be working for me rigt now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MY box did that, too.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 02:28:46 PM »
Did not even occur to me to look at the box, LOL. I use after market insoles anyways.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 03:06:17 PM »
Did not even occur to me to look at the box, LOL. I use after market insoles anyways.

There were instructions?  I put the fat insoles in first because they looked so nice and cushy.  :)  But then there wasn't enough room left for my feet.  So I took those out and replaced them with the skinny insoles.  Ahhh, just right.  Until a few hundred miles later when the midsole foam compressed and the shoes began to feel less cushy.  Then I put the fat ones back in and got a few hundred more miles out of them. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2015, 07:29:32 AM »
There were instructions?  I put the fat insoles in first because they looked so nice and cushy.  :)  But then there wasn't enough room left for my feet.  So I took those out and replaced them with the skinny insoles.  Ahhh, just right.  Until a few hundred miles later when the midsole foam compressed and the shoes began to feel less cushy.  Then I put the fat ones back in and got a few hundred more miles out of them. 
I always get rid of the insoles that come with sneakers and replace with superset insoles. The superfeet insoles made my hokas less roomy, which was nice.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2015, 07:30:40 AM »
For anyone who cares, the New York Times has an article today on Hoka running shoes.

+-SUPPORT US