Author Topic: Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?  (Read 25104 times)

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?
« on: January 14, 2015, 10:28:04 AM »
I've got about 550 miles on my Hoka Cliftons, and should have retired them 100 miles ago...they're dead...they won't make my Feb 8 marathon.  I need to replace now so that I can have a solid 3 weeks of break in...I was thinking about the Cliftons, but I can get a Bondi 3 for $70 cheaper...and that ain't chump change...that's my fucking hotel room cost...

Yays?  Nays?

Offline joan

• The Runners
Re: Hoka wearers...Bondi 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:18:03 PM »
I have no idea, but what marathon are you running?  It's coming up so you must be excited!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:21 PM »
I'd be hesitant to swap the model of my shoe so close to my marathon.  The Bondi is great, just a bit heavier and more substantial than the Clifton.

I fully recognize that others are not as neurotic about their shoe choices as I am though. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:22:44 PM »
I agree with Caito; I wouldn't switch shoes so close to the marathon.  Could you get two pairs (one like the old model, one new) and rotate them?

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:58:32 PM »
I agree with Caito; I wouldn't switch shoes so close to the marathon.  Could you get two pairs (one like the old model, one new) and rotate them?
I'm trying to afford a single pair...which is why I'd prefer the pair that are essentially half the price :)

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 08:59:28 AM »
I have no idea, but what marathon are you running?  It's coming up so you must be excited!
I am!  I've had to adjust my goals from BQ to PR to have fun though, due to some setbacks...hard training + suspected iron deficiency makes it feel like I've already RUN several marathons this year...  :)

I'd be hesitant to swap the model of my shoe so close to my marathon.  The Bondi is great, just a bit heavier and more substantial than the Clifton.

I fully recognize that others are not as neurotic about their shoe choices as I am though. 
I tend to agree, but I'm not sure I have much of a choice...I'm pretty good at acclimating...I was trying desperately to get another 100 including the marathon on the Cliftons....but, I'm courting injury now...

The Bondi are showing about 4 oz heavier each...I'm not too concerned about the weight...I spit more weight than that in a marathon.... :D

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:20:16 AM »
Can you talk to someone from the company or a reputable running store about differences between the two shoes?  Big online running stores sites may have some helpful reviews you can read.   You can always go in a test run in the cheaper shoes (unless you're buying online).  You know your body, and if you're comfortable buying the cheaper shoes, and typically don't have injury issues and/or have finicky feet, then I'd consider it.  in my case, I'd go with what I know works for me -- but I'm an anxious person who wouldn't want to take any kind of chance this close to a marathon.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 01:02:47 PM »
I read a gazillion reviews...and, I pulled the trigger...if I cripple myself, it's all your faults!!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 02:41:01 PM »
It will probably be ok and it may even be better, more cushion! I am anxiously awaiting the Bondi 4s, just a couple more weeks, in hopes that the newer ones fit my foot better with the upper section.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
I have run long distances  in brand new shoes. I would definitely do it if I have three weeks before the race. But I can run in almost any shoe that is stability or cushioned.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »
Rock on, dude.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 08:45:22 AM »

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »
Just arrived...I'll report back...

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 05:52:46 PM »
are we there yet?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 06:37:59 PM »
Swapped out my old Hokas for a new pair today.  Think I got my money's worth?  :D

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 07:17:20 PM »
are we there yet?
I'm 16 miles in...let me give it another couple of days for a full review  :)

Swapped out my old Hokas for a new pair today.  Think I got my money's worth?  :D

Think I did?!   :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 07:18:48 PM »
Omg!

I just ordered online the Bondi 4s,  :fingers: they fit better than the 3s which were unwearable for me.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Belgian Lace

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
Jeebus.  Those are some Fred Flinstone lookin' m-fers.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
I like the worn soles pics.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2015, 09:24:25 AM »
Review....after some breaking in (about 40 miles so far), and the normal aches from the difference in bio mechanics, I can say that I'm a fan...they're noticeably heavier than the Cliftons, but the soles seem much sturdier...and as you can see, I can chew up a shoe...

Not much of a review really....more like a "hey, these things are fine, y'all..."

And for half the price of the Cliftons?!  Winner....I've got my final 20 before the Tallahassee Marathon this Saturday, so I guess that'll be the real test...but, I'm confident in the shoes, if not my body  :D

+-SUPPORT US