Author Topic: Rain jacket for running?  (Read 3300 times)

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
Rain jacket for running?
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »
I searched and didn't find anything, so hopefully this isn't one of those ad nauseum topics.  I had a running jacket that was water-repellent, but I can't find it since we've moved.  I've been shopping for another (on line) and can't really find a reasonably-priced, light weight outer layer that would be good in a light rain or snow.  I have found a lot of jackets, but when I read the reviews, very often someone will say that the jacket is a good wind breaker but is NOT water repellent.

Any suggestions?  Where to look?  What do you use?

TIA

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Rain jacket for running?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 01:07:01 PM »
I have this one: http://www.brooksrunning.com/en_us/womens-lsd-lite-jacket-iv/220779.html?dwvar_220779_color=160#start=3 except mine has a hood.

I almost never wear it. It's water repellent, but not water proof. I like that it's suuuuuuper lightweight.

If I do wear it, I end up taking it off shortly into my run. It's really that I'm a weenie about getting wet initially, but once I'm going I'm fine. I also do not like my face to get wet. So, I put the jacket and a ball cap on, and take the jacket off once I get going.

Anything that is waterproof will REALLY trap any moisture you are producing-- even if it is "breathable", which just isn't comfy.

So, I don't find I need anything superduper waterproof, which really ups the weight factor.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 01:14:25 PM »
I used to wear my Pearl Izumi cycling jacket to run in the rain.  It was water resistant and very lightweight.  It's not hooded, so I wore a hat.  You need something with a brim in the rain anyway.  (My hat was NB and it was also water resistant).  Eventually the water resistance wears off after enough washings.  And they are not cheap, but I did like the hi vis color and the reflective piping.

I have a waterproof jacket right now.  I think it would be like running in a plastic bag, but it does have a hood with a slight bill to it and it has pit zips.  I got it on clearance one year at Eddie Bauer, which brought it down to a reasonable price. It's a two-way zipper though, and it's hard to get it lined up right to zip up.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 01:25:40 PM »
Thanks for the info!  I seem to have lost my hat as well, but I know that a hat is a must for keeping the water out of my eyes.  I mis-spoke above; I know that water repellent and running don't go well together and I meant water resistant.   :-[

RA - I don't mind getting wet as long as I am warm enough.  With my old jacket, I would typically start out zipped up and then unzip as I warmed up.  I'll check out the Brooks jacket, it looks quite nice!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 02:02:12 PM »
Yes, I'm the same way-- I'm ok as long as I'm not cold. So, part of the reason I don't wear my jacket much is I've learned that once I'm warm I ditch it anyway. I focus on dressing a little bit warmer if I know it's going to rain.

Here's what rw had to say: http://www.runnersworld.com/cold-weather-running/nine-running-jackets-rain?page=single

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »
Oooh! That looks nice too. I'll be heading to the city on Sunday and will shop around then.

+-SUPPORT US