Author Topic: Here we go (starting a training cycle for my first race in a year)  (Read 10262 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Feel free to ignore this thread. This seems like as good a place as any to blog about this training cycle. It's just easier than other platforms.

A year ago, I was the fittest I'd ever been in my life... and chasing a 1:50 half time. It all fell apart shortly after. I got injured in January. Then I got sick in february. In march, I met a boy who would become a major distraction. Work travel picked up in February. I bought a house in April. Distraction-boy got hurt and stopped running somewhere in June and I started a major remodel project around the same time--eating nachos and drinking beer took the place of running and spinning and general fitness. I coasted through a half in March (2:02-- not a pr), and a painful relay in May. I bagged a race in October and have been running an inconsistent 9-20 mpw since August or so. These days I'm running 3-4 miles 2-3x/week and then a longish run of around 6-7 miles.

Hal Higdon's intermediate plan seems to be about right.  http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51132/Half-Marathon-Intermediate-Training-Program

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
Re: Here we go (starting a training cycle for my first race in a year)
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
:)  I start a training cycle today as well, but mine is 18 weeks (I clicked your link to find out how long yours is.) 

What's your goal race?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
Ellen - Boston? I am running the Whidbey Island Marathon that same weekend. R.A. - want to run the Whidbey Half? :)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 02:39:24 PM »
Yup.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »
Yeah, the training plan doesn't quite match up with my race date, but I'm ok with that. I'll just hang out at the 8-10 week area for a bit. My race isn't until March 7. 

This is the race: http://lakesammamishhalf.com/

Ellen - Boston? I am running the Whidbey Island Marathon that same weekend. R.A. - want to run the Whidbey Half? :)

Tempting! I've heard that is a tough course!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 03:30:56 PM by Run Amok »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:20:32 PM »
The half isn't bad, I ran it a few years ago. One big hill at Mile 11 and then downhill to the finish.

The full is a roller coaster.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 05:57:46 PM »
Whoohooo!  Looking forward to watching your progress.  :)

I'm barely recovered from my marathon but I'm chomping at the bit to hit it hard again and  train for something new.

"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
You know, there's this awesome race called the Whidbey Island Marathon...

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 07:03:10 PM »
You know, there's this awesome race called the Whidbey Island Marathon...

:D

I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to marathon training through a miserable New England winter.  But I think I'm going to map out a plan for a local race and see how it goes.  If the weather makes it too hard to get the long runs in (no 20 miles on a treadmill!!) I'll re-evaluate my goals…

I think...
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 07:27:17 PM »
Way to get back at it, RA! I always think back to how we were both training for a half around the same time at one point, and it was really nice to share updates. I look forward to hearing how your training goes and seeing your progress!

Just starting to think about spring goals myself, and wondering if I should make another run at the Rutgers Unite half in April after imploding on that course last year. Would be great to crush it this spring, but we'll see. The other race a few friends are doing is the Philly Love Run in March. I loved running in Philly and I know it would be a great race, but I'm just not sure that's a good fit for my schedule in terms of training this winter. My new job involves a bit of travel and there happens to be a lot piled up in Jan/Feb, so I'm trying not to set myself up for frustration by tackling a goal that would be unrealistic while adjusting to that. But at the same time, I think having a goal and training plan will also help me avoid falling off any kind of solid training while traveling, if I don't feel the push to make efforts to work it in. Even though it's just a couple of weeks, April might be better, Rutgers is closer to home, and the possibility of redemption is enticing.

Do you still have travel to contend with for work? Are you thinking about ways to be sure you get the training time in?
This space for rent.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 06:09:00 PM »
This week has been a good reminder that it's just not that easy to get all the running (and all the other stuff in!). Also, that I'm not in as bad of shape as I thought. Also, T (bf) and I are trainging for the same race. We don't run the same pace so some stuff will be separate but he'll run his easy miles with me. That said, sometimes getting the miles in has to come before doing it together.

Monday. --3mi. 9:12 pace, which was 9:05, 9:25 and 9:08-- much faster than I have been running. Tough, but not dying.
Tuesday.-- Monday night was light on sleep and tuesday we were exhausted. Rest day.
Wed. --Planned to do 5x400 together but at our own paces. But, it was 8:45 by the time he got home and I frankly didn't feel like starting at work out at (best case scenario) 9:15 pm. Unplanned rest day.
Thurs. -- 5x400 +1 mile

The plan calls for another 3 mile run followed by a 5 & 3. He did 3 today, so he'll do intervals tomorrow. I'll do my 3 tomorrow. We're going to do an 8 mile long run saturday and take sunday as a rest day.

So, feeling on plan, with a lot of juggling. Not too worried about combining runs right now-- fitness wise, we should be doing a 8-8.5 mile long run this week anyway, so it's ok.

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 07:22:37 AM »

I am living vicariously through all of you.
On, Wisconsin

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 08:09:02 AM »

This is the race: http://lakesammamishhalf.com/

Tempting! I've heard that is a tough course!

That looks like a fun race.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2014, 12:15:03 PM »
8 miles in the books

Not going to lie. It was really rough. And slow. Ugh.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »
8 miles in the books

Not going to lie. It was really rough. And slow. Ugh.

Be careful you dont do too much too soon.  Increase your mileage incrementally.  Does Hal really call for an 8 miler right away?
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2014, 05:43:46 PM »
Be careful you dont do too much too soon.  Increase your mileage incrementally.  Does Hal really call for an 8 miler right away?
No. He doesn't. He calls for 8 over the course of a weekend and we combined the two.

We ran 7.5 miles last week and 6 the week before that.

But, I agree-- too much too soon is a recipe for injury.

That run should not have been as difficult as it was.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2014, 12:27:23 PM »
Week 2 done. I got all my miles in but ran 4 days in a row to do it. 6 miles yesterday and finished them all but legs definitely felt tired.

This week is a step back week. 3.5 miles, 6x400's, 3 miles, rest, rest, then a 5k. Not sure I can find a 5k on saturday-- so I might just do a pace run instead.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 12:25:56 PM »
Great job, RA! 

Your year is a lot like most of mine.  I have good intentions, but I let life get in the way.  Good luck with your training and your race. 

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 03:06:21 PM »
Thanks for the inspiration, RA.  I just registered for the Surf City Half.  It is on February 1, 2015.  I'm running a 15k in SF on Jan 11, so instead of cruising after that race, I'll just have to keep at it.   :nails:

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 11:11:52 AM »
Week 3 done! I combined the last two workouts for the week and ran 6 last night. Wet, dark, dreary.

Good week overall though. Starting to feel stronger.

The week ahead is starting to feel a little more like serious running. 3.5 run, 35 minute tempo run, 3 mile, 3 mile, 7 mile.

Thanks for the inspiration, RA.  I just registered for the Surf City Half.  It is on February 1, 2015.  I'm running a 15k in SF on Jan 11, so instead of cruising after that race, I'll just have to keep at it.   :nails:

Wahoo!

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 11:13:30 AM by Run Amok »

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 09:32:41 PM »
Well fuck. My lower back starated  bothering me a couple of weeks ago. I have this old injury to the right SI joint... which I mostly ignore. But, last week the pain started to refer to the entire left leg and my 7 miler sunday night did not go well. I backed off a lot last week and ran 3 times and went spinning twice. Yesterday I visited my ART/Graston guy and he suggested taking 10 days off running. Spinning ok as long as the things that were hurting didn't hurt. Well, after my session yesterday, I could definitely feel the left leg a bit during spin. I'm going to try a lighter weight spin class tomorrow and then the eliptical and yoga for the rest of the week.

Wah. I was feeling so strong!

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, 07:47:08 AM »
How old are your shoes?

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2015, 09:09:06 AM »
Well fuck. My lower back starated  bothering me a couple of weeks ago. I have this old injury to the right SI joint... which I mostly ignore. But, last week the pain started to refer to the entire left leg and my 7 miler sunday night did not go well. I backed off a lot last week and ran 3 times and went spinning twice. Yesterday I visited my ART/Graston guy and he suggested taking 10 days off running. Spinning ok as long as the things that were hurting didn't hurt. Well, after my session yesterday, I could definitely feel the left leg a bit during spin. I'm going to try a lighter weight spin class tomorrow and then the eliptical and yoga for the rest of the week.

Wah. I was feeling so strong!

Ugh, sorry to hear that.  I hate that feeling!!!  Speedy recovery!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 10:08:34 AM »
How old are your shoes?

Relatively new.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
PT guy said he sees this kind of thing happen often with the introduction of track-type workouts because you're extending your stride quite a bit. Which I guess makes sense.

Offline joan

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
I've had tons of success with ART.......you were smart to do that!

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 05:05:42 PM »
Oy!  Sorry to hear this and hope the therapy and rest provide a speedy recovery.

+-SUPPORT US