Author Topic: Hoka hoopla.  (Read 21672 times)

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
Hoka hoopla.
« on: September 08, 2014, 05:44:55 PM »
What's the big deal with these Hoka One One shoes?  A lot of runners are raving over them.  Even our esteemed overly verbose over the hill former semi elite former poster bought a pair (according to Facebook).  I'm coming off a partially torn calf muscle, the worst running injury I've had in a long time and I've thought about buying a pair.  Until I started reading some reviews.  Some folks say they wear out and fall apart after very few uses.  I guess you can't cheat the law of physics and material engineering.  If something is going to be that light and that cushioned at the same time it's certainly not going to last.

When I was a running newbie back in 1999-2000 I tried several brands, Adidas, Nike, Puma.  I even tried some Reeboks.  They were very light with huge thick cushioning.  And they wore out fast too.

So what's the deal?  Anybody running in them?

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: Hoka hoopla.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:43 PM »
I run in them.   Not exclusively, but I have an extensive running shoe collection b/c of my job.

They are incredibly cushioned and incredibly comfortable.  They have been very popular with the ultra and mountain running crowd.  They protect you over all those miles and technical trails and descents.

I think they last longer than traditional running shoes.  The new Hoka OneOne models coming out now are impossibly light, considering how cushy they are.   They are comparing the new HokaOneOne Clifton to the Saucony Kinvara!

It's the fastest growing brand in the running specialty market right now.   I like them a lot.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 05:56:59 PM »
My ex has a pair and he loves them.  He is nursing a knee that really needs knee replacement surgery and they were recommended to him by someone else who had knee problems.  The additional cushion/shock absorption seem to help. (That and cortizone shots, except the shots are $1200 a pop, which is kind of a bear with a higher deductible policy).
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 06:16:48 PM »
I have been running in them for 3-4 years and love them. The newest ones fit my foot not great, so i am in a hiatus shoe until the newer models come out with better uppers. I have not tried the Cliftons yet though. They are just great shoes and they last really long (like 4-5 months for me). I am wearing a Skechers now and it will most likely last one month, HOWEVER, i paid $55 for them and hokas are about $165, so not awful.

I have no decided what i will wear at my race in a few weeks. My last pair of the old Hokas probably won't fall apart completely during the race, but they are pretty old.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:40 PM »
I volunteered at the Wasatch 100 this past weekend and I'd say that at least 75% of the runners there were in Hokas. 

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
I keep waivering on these.. I almost clicked the pay from my shopping cart but really wasn't sure of sizing..

Caito do you know if they run true to shoe size?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 08:04:33 PM »
Good question!  I normally wear an 8 in running shoes but I wear a 7.5 in Hokas.
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 08:17:52 PM »

Good question!  I normally wear an 8 in running shoes but I wear a 7.5 in Hokas.

Ok I normally wear a 10 shoe, 11 in my brooks and the hoka looked like it had up to 10.5 in women's.. Maybe I'll try that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 08:24:28 PM »
Hokas go to women's 11 and some are "unisex" and I get them in men sizing (10.5).
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 08:39:49 PM »
In men's sizes runningwarehouse.com's "shoe finder" matches them up perfectly with my Mizunos.  But since I've worn Mizunos for the last six years I'll probably try them on at my local shop tomorrow and pay FFR if I like them.  I've got the RTB Relay coming up Friday and I've run very little since this injury 16 days ago.  I don't want to wait for shipping since I want to try them out first before the relay.  Maybe I'll bump into you there Caito!

siamesedream

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 01:44:38 AM »
I hear they make quite a ruckus.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:05:53 AM »
I am going to try on the Cliftons this week and see how they fit my foot, though not too hopeful since every other model with the new material for the upper did not work for me.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 02:17:38 PM »
With the day off today I went downtown and bought a pair of Clifton's.  They fit a lot like Mizunos, a tiny bit narrower in the forefoot but plenty of room for me.  The uppers are so thin it is imperative they mirror the shape of your foot.  You don't want to be swimming around in these.  Standing up after trying them on it felt like suddenly someone installed more padding under the carpeting.  I immediately went out on the bike path for 5.4 miles, mostly flat but one hill and one descent.  What I noticed immediately was I didn't have to worry about every foot landing on a bump or uneven pavement.  I always liked minimalist shoes but I'm realizing my Mizuno Elixirs were sending too much shock up my legs.

I don't think it will take me much time to get used to the Hokas.  They do feel like clown shoes when you're walking in them though so I'll use them only for running.  I'll save the Mizunos for a change of pace and track workouts.  Now let's hope these Hokas can last for 500 miles.

Is there a name for this new category yet?  I call them maximum minimalist shoes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »
maximus shoes.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2014, 03:16:11 PM »
I'm still wearing my first pair of Hokas.  Almost five months in and they look a little ragged around the edges.  But still feel plenty cushy, so I'll keep wearing this pair a while longer.  I was so happy with them that I bought another pair almost immediately to hold in reserve. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2014, 03:27:51 PM »
I probably get 500-600 miles out of a pair of Hokas. I am going to try on the Cliftons Thursday if I can fit it in before work.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
What amazed me was that my injured calf felt about 90% better running in the Hokas.  The past two weeks I'd take a few days off then run with a neoprene compression sleeve over the calf.  About thirty minutes in the pain would show up and the calf would be sore for days afterward, then I'd take a few days off again.  I guess I'm stubborn.  I feel like I can cheat my form a bit in these springy shoes and use less calf, arch and toes in pushing off.  The shoes take away a lot of the shock in landing and have a springiness that propels you through the push off.  I'm sure when the calf is fully healed I'll be able to run faster in these.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »
What's the big deal with these Hoka One One shoes? 

I feel like I can cheat my form a bit in these springy shoes and use less calf, arch and toes in pushing off.  The shoes take away a lot of the shock in landing and have a springiness that propels you through the push off.  I'm sure when the calf is fully healed I'll be able to run faster in these.

Good question, good answer.

Offline arc918

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 06:46:51 PM »
I'm been running in them for a while now, I probably went thru 4+ pairs of Bondi B (or 2). I found the Bondi 3 unwearable (so I bought up more Bondi B on clearance).

I bought a pair of Cliftons and I like them. They are the minimalist version of a maximalist shoe = pretty much a regular shoe. So now I''m rotating between my last pair of Bondi B and the new Cliftons.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Some of my hip resurfacing running friends swear by them.  I wouldn't mind trying them, but my trusty old Asics work just fine.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 10:25:41 PM by Arrojo »
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

+-SUPPORT US