Author Topic: flat feet and barefoot running  (Read 22981 times)

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
Re: flat feet and barefoot running
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2015, 11:34:29 AM »
Back in first grade, I flunked my school physical due to pancake flat feet and a note was sent home to my parents.  Running track in high school and college and landing on my forefoot, actually developed the muscles in my arch and I no longer have flat feet.

I love running barefoot, but only do it on grass when doing striders.

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2015, 01:09:24 PM »
Back in first grade, I flunked my school physical due to pancake flat feet and a note was sent home to my parents.  Running track in high school and college and landing on my forefoot, actually developed the muscles in my arch and I no longer have flat feet.

I love running barefoot, but only do it on grass when doing striders.

This is very cool.  So, I don't have to pay damn near $200 for orthotics? 
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

Offline TK

• Fruit Stand
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2015, 02:13:17 PM »
Fascinating. 
I've had luck w/Kayanos and GT 3200.  Thanx so much for your input. 

About how long did it take you to notice increase strength and arch after wearing the 5 fingers? 
I don't think I'd go 5 finger b/c I don't like that in between the toe feeling but I'm thinking maybe New Balance minimus.  It all depends on what the podiatrist says on Tuesday.

It was like building up any muscle, slow and steady.  Even though I was running 3 miles 3 times a week at the time I worked in the barefoot running like I was starting from scratch.  Must have taken a month to really notice the difference, but when I noticed the difference was huge.

I tried the minimus and HATED them, didn't fit right and felt like crappy shoes.  I would suggest trying out the 5 fingers, after you have them on a few minutes you stop noticing them between your toes.  But the real reason I recommend them if you are interested in strengthening your foot is I don't think you will get the same strength gains from the minimus.  With the 5 fingers your toes kind of spread out and "grab" the earth (like your hands do if you where crawling in the sand) and this is what really strengthened my feet.  (I think) You don't get that in a minimalist shoe.   

Offline Virginia Plain

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
It was like building up any muscle, slow and steady.  Even though I was running 3 miles 3 times a week at the time I worked in the barefoot running like I was starting from scratch.  Must have taken a month to really notice the difference, but when I noticed the difference was huge.

I tried the minimus and HATED them, didn't fit right and felt like crappy shoes.  I would suggest trying out the 5 fingers, after you have them on a few minutes you stop noticing them between your toes.  But the real reason I recommend them if you are interested in strengthening your foot is I don't think you will get the same strength gains from the minimus.  With the 5 fingers your toes kind of spread out and "grab" the earth (like your hands do if you where crawling in the sand) and this is what really strengthened my feet.  (I think) You don't get that in a minimalist shoe.   

Good to know.  Thanx
Then, it's just the ol' squat, catch and pitch...--Makeda

+-SUPPORT US