Author Topic: Canon vs Nikon  (Read 9178 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Canon vs Nikon
« on: September 28, 2014, 03:12:25 PM »
Why did you choose one over the other (assuming you have these models)?
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
Re: Canon vs Nikon
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
I knew I was going to be a DX shooter for the forseable future and I felt Nikon had shown more commitment to the format... That was a few years back.  I just sold the body I originally bought and a backup and bought Nikon's highest end DX body.   

I'm still quite the noob, and I'm sure if I had gone the Canon route I'd be just as happy..
They both make some great stuff and we all benefit because of the competition.

What do you have now?   You not happy?
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2014, 04:12:41 PM »
Nikon D7000. I'm not happy but I don't know if it's me or the camera. I think I read before that the canons produce really vibrant colors. That's what i'm not liking about my nikon. But again, could just be me. Also, every time I take a picture for someone on the street (like if they want a group shot and the person taking the pic won't be in it), when it's a canon, it just feels nice in my hands. Probably because it's something different.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »
Nikon D7000. I'm not happy but I don't know if it's me or the camera. I think I read before that the canons produce really vibrant colors. That's what i'm not liking about my nikon. But again, could just be me. Also, every time I take a picture for someone on the street (like if they want a group shot and the person taking the pic won't be in it), when it's a canon, it just feels nice in my hands. Probably because it's something different.

Are the Canon's you like full frame?  They do feel nicer... I'm considering getting a grip.

Can you rent bodies and lenses over there?  That would be a good way to play around..

People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
Are the Canon's you like full frame?  They do feel nicer... I'm considering getting a grip.

Can you rent bodies and lenses over there?  That would be a good way to play around..

I think the 7D, which is comparable to the D7000 is full frame. No, can't rent over here :(
I'm hoping to find someone here on camp that will let me use their camera for a half hour or so just to get a feel for it.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 04:38:08 PM »
Not a bad idea... Every time I think it's the equipment I head over to the body specific Flickr group and look at what others are doing with the same stuff I have.  It can be either humbling or inspiring. 

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 04:50:43 PM »
Oh that's a good idea. I haven't done that in awhile.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 05:04:10 PM »
Do you shoot in raw or jpg or both?

I started in jpg, but I really like raw... I think you have more control over the outcome in post processing, but I know a lot of people want to shoot and be done with it... I like fooling around in Lightroom...

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 05:27:21 PM »
Just jpg.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2014, 05:54:50 PM »

Offline AmyAmyAmy

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »
I use both. Canon at work, Nikon at home. They're both great, no noticeable difference in image quality and my work cameras are a lot more expensive than the little Nikon I bought myself.

I think the D7000 has a plastic body? If you're handling a higher end Canon or Nikon, it will feel a lot more substantial and less fragile. I've fallen down a flight of stairs with a work camera and just brushed the mud off and kept shooting.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 08:58:17 AM »
I think the D7000 (and D7100) has a magnesium frame, so the heft I think is decent. 

I think they kind of feel small, especially around the right hand grip... not sure if this is what MG is refering to...

Amy, what bodies are you using? 

Offline AmyAmyAmy

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 11:25:21 AM »
I think the D7000 (and D7100) has a magnesium frame, so the heft I think is decent. 

I think they kind of feel small, especially around the right hand grip... not sure if this is what MG is refering to...

Amy, what bodies are you using? 

Nikon D5100. We also have a D300 and a couple of D200s but I never really touch them because I love that the 5100 is so easy to carry around. Canon 5D Mark III and a Canon 6D.

My buddy recently went to a new unit that uses Canon instead of Nikon and he insisted for a couple months that the Canons weren't sharp. I told him it was just him getting used to a different system and he finally started taking it home on the weekends until he got used to it.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
Nikon D5100. We also have a D300 and a couple of D200s but I never really touch them because I love that the 5100 is so easy to carry around. Canon 5D Mark III and a Canon 6D.

My buddy recently went to a new unit that uses Canon instead of Nikon and he insisted for a couple months that the Canons weren't sharp. I told him it was just him getting used to a different system and he finally started taking it home on the weekends until he got used to it.

I had a D3200 and a D5000 that I sold to do this upgrade.  I really like the articulated screen on the d5X's series.  I'm thinking I'll get a D5300 as a back up... I won't really need the back up until next spring or summer so hopefully they'll get a little cheaper. 

As to sharpness, I don't do all that well with much of anything that isn't taken on a tripod... yet.   ;)  Still learning.  But, my interests are landscape, time lapse, and milky way/star trails kinda stuff, so, that's pretty much tripod shooting anyway.   

Online Mrtambourineman

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »
My take is that Nikon has surpassed Canon in quality and features over the last few years.  I got into Canon because I got a good deal on a used Rebel XT and lens.  After I had purchased a number of other Canon accessories I just made sense to upgrade my body with the Canon.  I was generally happy with my Canon and assumed any issues tended to be my fault or because I was shooting with shit glass.  My BIL has a Nikon D5000 and I felt that the Nikon control software was much more intuitive than that on my Canon.   
I've been doing this how long?

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2014, 06:41:32 PM »
If you liked the D5000, you'd love the D7000 or D7100. 

You might be surprised at how well you might do on ebay.  I sold two bodies and a lens and my loss for one-two years use was not that bad at all.  Basically around $300-350 bucks.   

Online Mrtambourineman

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
If you liked the D5000, you'd love the D7000 or D7100. 

You might be surprised at how well you might do on ebay.  I sold two bodies and a lens and my loss for one-two years use was not that bad at all.  Basically around $300-350 bucks.   

Can't take that sort of a hit - I'm just going to stick with Canon for now.  I'd like to get a better telephoto zoom eventually and maybe a fast sigma 28mm prime. 
I've been doing this how long?

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »
I have Canon and they were leading the market when I got my gear.  In addition, everyone I knew with cameras was also shooting Canon so the opportunities to buy used gear were good.  I also tried out Canon and Nikon bodies and at the time, the Canon layout made more sense to me. 

Canon and Nikon leap frog each other in new technology and development so at any given time, one might be better than the other, but they always catch up.  If I were buying right now, I think I would be leaning towards Nikon.  But once you're invested in a brand, it is difficult to switch because replacing all of your gear is expensive.

+-SUPPORT US