Forum > The Open Pub

Bathtub

(1/4) > >>

tenacious1:
We're retiling our second bath -- because the original builder but the tile on sheet rock instead of the proper backing material. At this point we've stripped the old tile from the walls and floor and have removed the tub.

We are perfectly happy with the size, shape, and color of the tub but it's not in pristine shape. Our clumsy tile removal left a couple of dings that go through the finish to the black material under it. Also, the bottom of the tub has always had a dull/never shiny splotch that makes me think the builder probably got a good deal on it.

Has anyone ever had a tub refinished? Is it a good idea or should we just buy a new one?

Mrtambourineman:
Just buy a new one.  Tub refinishes don't last that long according to a friend who has done his old cast iron one twice in the 20 years I've known him.  We went with new and modern profile on our recent main floor bathroom reno because it was deeper allowing for better soaking experiences.   

tenacious1:
 :panic: Just checking online and there are thousands of choices. All I want is a simple, bottom of the line tub. This might be easier with a visit to Home Depot or Lowes.

RichMac:
You can get a one piece, tub and walls-  No chance of leaking between the tile and tub

tenacious1:
We're going to tile because it will be better for the resale value of the house. We have all the tile sitting in the hall outside the bathroom door. And a how-to video.

Once I learn how to tile I hope to redo my kitchen counters and add a back splash. But that's down the road.

We're currently working on removing the rotted flooring caused by the sheet rock problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version